The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I looked you up on Marine Tracker and your boat is listed at 15 meters, or 49.2 feet, your beam sounded correct, 4 meters or 13 + feet.

According to Marine Tracker you are still in Beaufort.

So I looked you up on Marine Tracker and your boat is listed at 15 meters, or 49.2 feet, your beam sounded correct, 4 meters or 13 + feet.

According to Marine Tracker you are still in Beaufort.

Yep, that's the one. I may have rounded incorrectly, lol. I suppose that's about right when you factor in the dinghy and anchor hanging off at either end.

So Dave, we just entered into a contract to purchase a boat somewhat similar to yours. We're supper excited, although we were hoping to purchase on the East/Gulf Coast, this boat is in Puget Sound. . . . But that's alright, we'll just have to bring her around! And I just have to say it . . . My boobies are gonna be BIGGER than YOUR boobies!:D Scot K.

7485009_20200617134624390_1_XLARGE.jpg

So Dave, we just entered into a contract to purchase a boat somewhat similar to yours. We're supper excited, although we were hoping to purchase on the East/Gulf Coast, this boat is in Puget Sound. . . . But that's alright, we'll just have to bring her around! And I just have to say it . . . My boobies are gonna be BIGGER than YOUR boobies!:D Scot K.

7485009_20200617134624390_1_XLARGE.jpg

Hahaha, well, they've never been my best attribute anyway. There's always someone else with a bigger one, amirite? Congratulations on your potential new vessel! That IS exciting! Is she aluminum too? That'll be a pretty epic delivery trip. What do you think, northwest passage?? lol. You're gonna have to start a thread with a full tour and detailed spec sheet on that one. Good luck with the purchase!

Wifey B: Not getting into the discussion of boobies and whose are bigger. :nonono:

If you are similar to Dave then you have a lot of fun ahead. I'd make one suggestion. Read back through his entire thread, especially the early part. You'll see frustration, questioning whether he made the right decision, trying to do too much himself. Then you'll see the beauty of getting help when needed and learning to enjoy the boating and a man so happy and at peace in his adventures. A great transformation. A lot to be learned and I wonder how many other boaters have instead run away from boating rather than evolved as Dave did. He also listened. Yes, he likely has more time on the water than 98% here but he knew this was new to him.

His is a beautiful story and continues and long will do so. Seeing his joy on the water, his happiness is great. I know when I see he's got a new post I love it to be my first read of the day. So read how he got from Point A to where he is today. It is like boatpleasure101. :D

:dance::dance::dance:

If you are similar to Dave then you have a lot of fun ahead. I'd make one suggestion. Read back through his entire thread, especially the early part. You'll see frustration, questioning whether he made the right decision, trying to do too much himself. Then you'll see the beauty of getting help when needed and learning to enjoy the boating and a man so happy and at peace in his adventures. A great transformation. A lot to be learned and I wonder how many other boaters have instead run away from boating rather than evolved as Dave did. He also listened. Yes, he likely has more time on the water than 98% here but he knew this was new to him.

His is a beautiful story and continues and long will do so. Seeing his joy on the water, his happiness is great. I know when I see he's got a new post I love it to be my first read of the day. So read how he got from Point A to where he is today. It is like boatpleasure101.

I'll second that suggestion. Dave has shared an honest, open journey, warts and all. We can all learn something from his writings, even if it's only that he has a screw loose somewhere. :socool: He has certainly been through his tribulations but he has come out on the other side and is now reaping the pleasure of boating. <tip of the hat, sir>

Wifey B: Not getting into the discussion of boobies and whose are bigger. :nonono:

His is a beautiful story and continues and long will do so. Seeing his joy on the water, his happiness is great. I know when I see he's got a new post I love it to be my first read of the day. So read how he got from Point A to where he is today. It is like boatpleasure101. :D

Wifey B, I surrender, I'm not gonna compare the size of my boobies to yours! :hide: But then I was speaking of the boobies hanging down from the side of his boat!:D

I've followed Dave's thread from the beginning. I understand the frustration and heartbreak of trying something new and not having it go right from the beginning. We've owned two trawlers prior to this one, but this is the largest/most complex of the three.

Dave, the hull is 2" thick, 1/2" of hand laid up FRP on either side, sandwiching a 1" Airex core. The superstructure is aluminum.

I'll second that suggestion. Dave has shared an honest, open journey, warts and all. We can all learn something from his writings, even if it's only that he has a screw loose somewhere. :socool: He has certainly been through his tribulations but he has come out on the other side and is now reaping the pleasure of boating. <tip of the hat, sir>

AWWWW GUYYYYYYYYYYS!!!!!!!!!! STAAAAHHHHHP!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Well, I find it extremely gratifying that people enjoy my mad rambling. Thank you so much for reading. :blush::flowers::flowers::blush::flowers::blush:

And yes, at least one screw loose somewhere. There are a few others that have been completely lost to the dark recesses of the bilge, along with most of my marbles.

Wifey B, I surrender, I'm not gonna compare the size of my boobies to yours! :hide: But then I was speaking of the boobies hanging down from the side of his boat!:D

I've followed Dave's thread from the beginning. I understand the frustration and heartbreak of trying something new and not having it go right from the beginning. We've owned two trawlers prior to this one, but this is the largest/most complex of the three.

Dave, the hull is 2" thick, 1/2" of hand laid up FRP on either side, sandwiching a 1" Airex core. The superstructure is aluminum.

Oh wow, she's built like a brick lavatory, hahaha. I saw your other thread just after this post, and man, what a cool ship. I hope you're prepared to be the most interesting boat in the harbor like 70% of the time. Can we all come with you on your adventure?!

Oh wow, she's built like a brick lavatory, hahaha. I saw your other thread just after this post, and man, what a cool ship. I hope you're prepared to be the most interesting boat in the harbor like 70% of the time. Can we all come with you on your adventure?!

Certainly! Although I'm pretty sure the dialogue isn't going to be NEAR as entertaining as YOURS is!:D
Right now, just trying to coordinate a engine and boat surveyors in this mad covid19 world we live in is presenting a challenge all in itself. We weren't planning on not doing any travel/flying in the near future, but we definitely plan on being there for the survey/haulout/running trial. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's going to require precautions and behavior modifications along the way though.:thumb: Wife should be excited because she's been trying to modify my behavior for going on 32 years now with very limited success! . . . and now I'm offering to modify my behavior all on my own!:D:whistling: . . . My response to her is generally something along the lines, "When I'm already perfect, why would you want to change that?" As you can see there are differing opinions in play here. I'll leave it up to you to decide which is more correct!

Note: She's not reading this!

Certainly! Although I'm pretty sure the dialogue isn't going to be NEAR as entertaining as YOURS is!:D
Right now, just trying to coordinate a engine and boat surveyors in this mad covid19 world we live in is presenting a challenge all in itself. We weren't planning on not doing any travel/flying in the near future, but we definitely plan on being there for the survey/haulout/running trial. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's going to require precautions and behavior modifications along the way though.:thumb: Wife should be excited because she's been trying to modify my behavior for going on 32 years now with very limited success! . . . and now I'm offering to modify my behavior all on my own!:D:whistling: . . . My response to her is generally something along the lines, "When I'm already perfect, why would you want to change that?" As you can see there are differing opinions in play here. I'll leave it up to you to decide which is more correct!

Note: She's not reading this!

Wifey B: She's right. :rofl:

Dave, I think you should gather your ramblings and make a book of it. Particularly new boaters but many experienced ones as well enjoy reading books about boating adventures. The problem is these books are about 98 % sailboat adventures.

Many sailboaters dream of the big voyages when they get their new sailboat but 99 % of them end up just local cruising as we do. I think there is a market for power boaters who cruise as there are so few books like this available, and trust me, I've looked.

Dave, I think you should gather your ramblings and make a book of it. Particularly new boaters but many experienced ones as well enjoy reading books about boating adventures. The problem is these books are about 98 % sailboat adventures.

Many sailboaters dream of the big voyages when they get their new sailboat but 99 % of them end up just local cruising as we do. I think there is a market for power boaters who cruise as there are so few books like this available, and trust me, I've looked.

Well thanks for saying so. :flowers: I've been seriously considering it. I have no idea how to go about it, and haven't done any research on the matter, but I think it's something I'd like to do at some point.

The sailors definitely have the market cornered on this sort of thing. Same with youtube channels. I think sailing is just more romantic. There's definitely room for some more cruising under power content, but I don't have the editing or filming chops, and it's a lot of work. I already have a full time job, and I don't want to turn cruising into another one. Also, I'm not pretty or interesting enough, lol.

Last edited:
Also, I'm not pretty or interesting enough, lol.

Well don't let the picture stop you, where the picture should go on the back of the jacket cover just put a pic of George Clooney instead, insist you're related to him.

To make the book really interesting, you need to have some wretched thing happen to you and how you came back and triumphed from defeat. You know, something dramatic like you were out paddling your dinghy and it developed a leak and you had to paddle quickly back to the boat.

I once went to some boaters lecture on their trip. The trip included some wretched thing that happened to him. A woman in the audience asked why most of the sailboat cruising books always had something wretched thing that happened to the boater. The guy replied: "Well if I wrote about a cruise where I went out, had a wonderfully peaceful sail, full sails, stopped for a delicious lunch, then returned to the marina, would you read that tail?"

Last edited:
48. The Confused Helmsman, and the Excitable Dog

As I stood on the dock at Deale, fiddling with my shore power connection and waiting for Perkins to warm up, a thirty something foot trawler passed by. She had the unmistakable look of a fellow long distance cruising boat, and was moving with a sense of purpose toward the harbor exit. I suddenly felt like I was running behind. I wanted to fall in line with her and join the convoy! The excitable small dog in me wanted to hurry up and catch her. Maybe gnaw on her ankle a little bit. SQUIRREL!

I rapped myself on the nose with a rolled up newspaper as a reminder that I was not a small excitable dog, and that I wasn’t even close to being in a hurry. It didn’t make a damn bit of difference if I left the dock or not, let alone what time it was, or who left the harbor first. ‘It’s not a race.’ I told myself, and I continued my preflight checks at a leisurely pace.

When I did finally depart, I found that the other guy had stopped at the fuel dock, which of course meant we’d TAKEN THE LEAD! We passed through the breakwater long before those LOSERS ever even knew they were in a race! EAT MY ROAD GRIT, LIVER LIPS!

I was clearly a superior mariner in every respect. I gave myself a Milkbone for being such a good boy.

Once clear of the harbor, and steady on my southerly course, I flipped on the autopilot with a familiar and satisfying click. What happened next was neither familiar, nor satisfying. Sylphide took a hard turn to the left.

‘Well what the hell’s that all about?’ I asked the autopilot.

It didn’t answer. I switched it off, and got us pointing in the right direction again. I double checked the settings, and tried again. She went hard left again.

‘Where the hell are you going, mister?’ I demanded of the machine.

The little black box still had nothing to say for itself. It just blinked it’s green LED at me in silence. I repeated the process a few more times, and got the same result. The thought of having to hand steer for the next several hundred miles started gathering in my mind like a line of squalls on the horizon. In the interest of science, I decided to see what would happen if I just let the autopilot do what it wanted. Eventually, it did steady up on a heading, but in the exact opposite direction to the one I wanted. If I wanted to go south, I’d have to tell my idiot helmsman to go north. So, that’s what I did.

I started cursing the Zimmerman guys. They’d been rummaging around in my dash! They must have crossed a wire somewhere! It’s sabotage! I bet they expect me to come back and spend another gob of thousands on a new auto pilot! Those utter turds!

While I stewed over that, and thought about just painting a new arrow on the knob of my now apparently insane Autopilot, I took a peek at the chart plotter. My competition had returned. Obviously cheating, they had taken a shortcut, and were a solid knot faster than Sylphide. Slowly but surely, they closed the gap between us. Inevitably, they overtook us.

This was perfectly acceptable of course, and not a big deal in any way, because it’s not like we were in some kind of race or something, and there was no reason to be in a hurry, and anyway they were probably being reckless. I mean who really needs to go 8.5 knots anyway? That’s just excessive! The maniacs! They should really slow down and take in the scenery and not waste so much fuel and go easy on their engines and not throw such a big and inconsiderate wake! Yeah!

Anyway, that’s when I realized that some of the small writing on the edge of my compass was… upside down? Or wait, had it always been like that? No… surely not. Then a light bulb appeared over my head as I remembered the Zim-tech saying he’d had to take the compass out to wire up the switches for the plotter. Could it be that simple? Had they just put the silly thing in backwards? It would be an easy enough mistake to make. I loosened up the thumb screws, lifted the assembly out, turned it 180 degrees, and set it back in. I turned the autopilot back on, and wouldn’t ya know it, everything was back to normal.

Behold the dazzling brilliance of a GOD DAMN MARITIME PROFESSIONAL! Avert your eyes, lest they be forever blinded by the magnificence of my genius!
giphy.gif

The rest of that travel day was largely uneventful, but excessively pleasant. The wind and seas were calm, and the temperature was luxuriously comfortable. I listened to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and found it more dated, and less engaging than I’d hoped.

As the sunset reached it’s peak of splendidness and gloritude, we noodled our way into the Great Wicomico River. We passed Reedville, with it’s fragrant fish factory, and hooked a left around the tip of Sandy Point. The anchor was set before twilight, and we settled in for another cozy night on the hook. I found that my anchor light at the very top of the mast wasn’t working, but decided I didn’t feel like shimmying my big ass all the way up there to see if it had been installed backwards while I wasn’t looking. Instead, I turned on the nav lights, and covered up the red and green sidelights. It wasn’t technically correct, but I was showing a white light all the way around, which would have to be close enough. The place was deserted anyway. It was marvelous.

img_4111.jpeg

The next morning, as my fluids warmed to operating temperature, and the engine had it’s coffee, I surveyed the marvelous weather. It was clear and bright and warm, and the sea was as smooth as the top of my head. As I plotted my course for the day, I saw a boat leaving Reedville. It was them! Those bastards had beaten me off the line again! I started barking loudly and clawing at the windshield. They didn’t hear me, and didn’t stop. Soon they were gone, and I was distracted by a random smell or something, and forgot all about it.

Boy, this is a weird one, isn’t it?

Anyway, when I was damn good and ready, we hove anchor and headed back out into the glittering Chesapeake. The bay was like a swimming pool all day. The only breeze ruffling my flags was the one we made ourselves. I spent the day fiddling with my plotter, trying to figure out what all the buttons do, and getting the settings and displays set just-so. I chipped away at some more Jules Verne. I talked to my dad, and texted my mom and my sister.

Around mid afternoon, somewhere off Mobjack Bay, a pod of dolphins came charging over from the east. I scuttled out to the bow just in time to meet them there. They swam ahead of Sylphide, and played in her bow wave. Four or five of them jockeyed around for position just below the surface. They swam on their sides and looked at me. I looked at them. I giggled profusely. They jumped a few times. I giggled some more, far more than any self respecting grown man should ever admit to. Then, after maybe a minute, they darted off to go do important dolphin stuff somewhere else.

For years and years, I’d watched moments like that in other people’s YouTube videos and thought ‘Well that looks amazing, I want some of that in my life.’ and there I was, living the dream. It was every bit as wonderful as I’d hoped. It made my day.

I surfed that wave of feel-good all the way into Salt Ponds Inlet, just as the sun dipped below the horizon. I lassoed myself a dock just across the fairway from where I’d stayed last time I was in town, and settled in. I booked myself in for a few days to recharge, refresh and restock. We had reached the bottom end of the Chesapeake. The Bay had been good to us this year.

img_4117-1.jpeg

Also, I'm not pretty or interesting enough, lol.

Well don't let the picture stop you, where the picture should go on the back of the jacket cover just put a pic of George Clooney instead, insist you're related to him.

To make the book really interesting, you need to have some wretched thing happen to you and how you came back and triumphed from defeat. You know, something dramatic like you were out paddling your dinghy and it developed a leak and you had to paddle quickly back to the boat.

I once went to some boaters lecture on their trip. The trip included some wretched thing that happened to him. A woman in the audience asked why most of the sailboat cruising books always had something wretched thing that happened to the boater. The guy replied: "Well if I wrote about a cruise where I went out, had a wonderfully peaceful sail, full sails, stopped for a delicious lunch, then returned to the marina, would you read that tail?"

On the Great Lakes, there's a large community of extremely enthusiastic boat spotters. They call themselves Boat Nerds. Many ports have facebook groups that keep track of the comings and goings of the freighters. I drop in from time to time to post a time lapse video or a comment. The moderator from one of the pages contacted me and asked if I'd answer a bunch of random 'what's it like to work on a boat' questions, and I accepted. The last question was 'do you have any family friendly stories you might like to share?' and I had a hard time coming up with anything. Not only are most good sea stories built on a solid foundation of profanity, but most of the best ones involve crashing into something, grounding, catastrophic equipment failure, or some other wretched thing happening to a boat or a crewmember, lol.

I would buy the book.

:blush::flowers:

Well thanks for saying so. :flowers: I've been seriously considering it. I have no idea how to go about it, and haven't done any research on the matter, but I think it's something I'd like to do at some point.

The sailors definitely have the market cornered on this sort of thing. Same with youtube channels. I think sailing is just more romantic. There's definitely room for some more cruising under power content, but I don't have the editing or filming chops, and it's a lot of work. I already have a full time job, and I don't want to turn cruising into another one. Also, I'm not pretty or interesting enough, lol.

Look at Amazon and Kindle publishing as a way of exploring. Or go the blog route, paid by advertising, whether your own or google ads or whatever.

Don’t you love when you figure out a problem all on your own.

Your story reminded me of a problem I just encountered just after I had taken my boat out for sea trials and the refit, splashed this past August. So my buddy and I are out in the drink, in between Comox and Powell River, BC. The radar is on, newly on, as I hadn't tried it out with all the other systems needing tested. So I notice two boats off to my port and nothing on my starboard bow. But the radar shows two boats off my starboard bow and nothing on my port bow. It takes me a couple of minutes but I realize the radar image is basically backward.

Whenever I have an electronics problem, I take it to The Hull Truth first before coming here. Some serious techies hang out in their electronics section. One of the techies sends me a message with an image of an image of the Garmin Fantom 18 radar dome with a little triangle which indicates the forward direction the dome should be facing.

I send said post to my refit guy. He gets back to me and tells me the radar dome was installed correctly, the boat was backward! Well, he had a sense of humour about the whole thing.

Thread at The Hull Truth: (fourth post down)

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine...rmin-fantom-18-radar-plotting-wrong-side.html

Last edited:
Dave, I'm pretty sure you were legally required to stop and render assistance to that freighter off of your port quarter. After all, it's obvious that her bow plates were stove in from that destructive, irresponsible wake Sylphide is putting out!:nonono: Shame on you!

Look at Amazon and Kindle publishing as a way of exploring. Or go the blog route, paid by advertising, whether your own or google ads or whatever.

:thumb: I guess I don't care if I make any money on it. It'd be nice if it paid for itself, I guess, but I just think it would be neat to have a book with my name on it, lol.

Don’t you love when you figure out a problem all on your own.

It sure is a lot cheaper that way!

...I send said post to my refit guy. He gets back to me and tells me the radar dome was installed correctly, the boat was backward! Well, he had a sense of humour about the whole thing.

Well that's handy, I'm better at driving the boat backwards anyway! Job done! lol.

Dave, I'm pretty sure you were legally required to stop and render assistance to that freighter off of your port quarter. After all, it's obvious that her bow plates were stove in from that destructive, irresponsible wake Sylphide is putting out!:nonono: Shame on you!

The destruction was so complete that there was nothing left to save. Just some dust and an oil slick. They never stood a chance. The poor bastards.

:thumb: I guess I don't care if I make any money on it. It'd be nice if it paid for itself, I guess, but I just think it would be neat to have a book with my name on it, lol.

You can do that with Amazon self publishing and Kindle and if you want hard copies you can get vanity publishing of them as well.

Dave,

It has taken me a couple of days to read through this thread. I am either a slow reader or you are long winded. I would like you to consider two things please.

First, what does it say about your writing that I would binge read this thread like it was the last season of GOT?

Secondly, when I got to your September 6th post I felt compelled to read it to my wife and daughter as I have strong hopes of sharing similar boat dreams with them. As I read them the post I had to slow down and then ultimately stop reading because I could no longer speak. The tears came, dried, and I proceeded after a brief period of embarrassment. So much for the John Wayne persona.

Ok, I will come right out and say it. I am a good judge of humor. That's it. Just that I am a good judge of humor and I would rather this be about me than anyone else. :) You sir are humorous. You are also vulnerable, sincere, and courageous. See my two points above for why anything you put together on your experience is likely to be successful. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

A few somewhat unrelated thoughts. That 90 foot steel boat you were tied up near in SC called something "Belle" had a home port of Grosse Pointe at one time. Yours truly is from Grosse Pointe. Isn't that a fun fact?

I attended Northwestern Michigan College for two years out of High School as my general conduct prohibited attendance at Northwestern University. As you may know the college is the home of the Great Lakes Maritime Academy and most of my friends were cadets. I am a boatnerd and life long freighter geek. I have in my den the wooden freighter my grandfather made for me to pull around in the waves of Lake Huron in the early 1960's.

I have been looking for a trawler for about 4 years and saw Sylphide for sale about the time you snagged her up. Nice Catch. For many reasons my entry into trawler life has been delayed, and in the most recent year almost crushed. Your postings here have helped to rekindle a spirit I feared was starting to die. Until I retire in 5-8 years, or some other fun thing happens, I will be sailing the GL in my trawler should it happen for me. I hope that some day our paths might cross, and should you find your self heading up or down the Detroit River I hope you know you can find help or a friend here.

Final point, and this may sound corny. If I were to sum up my feelings about this thread it would be this:

I am proud of you.

Bill

Hey Dave, skip the old fashioned book writing and start a video channel with your stories. I'd line up to pay for them if I wasn't so cheap!

Dave,

It has taken me a couple of days to read through this thread. I am either a slow reader or you are long winded. I would like you to consider two things please.

First, what does it say about your writing that I would binge read this thread like it was the last season of GOT?

Secondly, when I got to your September 6th post I felt compelled to read it to my wife and daughter as I have strong hopes of sharing similar boat dreams with them. As I read them the post I had to slow down and then ultimately stop reading because I could no longer speak. The tears came, dried, and I proceeded after a brief period of embarrassment. So much for the John Wayne persona.

Ok, I will come right out and say it. I am a good judge of humor. That's it. Just that I am a good judge of humor and I would rather this be about me than anyone else. :) You sir are humorous. You are also vulnerable, sincere, and courageous. See my two points above for why anything you put together on your experience is likely to be successful. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

A few somewhat unrelated thoughts. That 90 foot steel boat you were tied up near in SC called something "Belle" had a home port of Grosse Pointe at one time. Yours truly is from Grosse Pointe. Isn't that a fun fact?

I attended Northwestern Michigan College for two years out of High School as my general conduct prohibited attendance at Northwestern University. As you may know the college is the home of the Great Lakes Maritime Academy and most of my friends were cadets. I am a boatnerd and life long freighter geek. I have in my den the wooden freighter my grandfather made for me to pull around in the waves of Lake Huron in the early 1960's.

I have been looking for a trawler for about 4 years and saw Sylphide for sale about the time you snagged her up. Nice Catch. For many reasons my entry into trawler life has been delayed, and in the most recent year almost crushed. Your postings here have helped to rekindle a spirit I feared was starting to die. Until I retire in 5-8 years, or some other fun thing happens, I will be sailing the GL in my trawler should it happen for me. I hope that some day our paths might cross, and should you find your self heading up or down the Detroit River I hope you know you can find help or a friend here.

Final point, and this may sound corny. If I were to sum up my feelings about this thread it would be this:

I am proud of you.

Bill

That's it. I'm running for mayor. :thumb:

Seriously though, thank you so much for your extremely kind and generous words. :flowers: I really, genuinely do appreciate it, though part of me feels I don't really deserve it. Most of these things get posted after about 15-20 edits and rewrites, and I'm usually just tired of tinkering with them. I always feel something like 'well that one's a real turd,' and 'I wonder how much longer this will go before people get tired of it, lol.'

I also get a little imposter syndrome from the thought that I'm just doing what so many others have done before. It was a handful of blogs like mine that really stoked the fires for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm paying it forward, and sometimes I feel like a plagiarist.

There was one blog in particular by a TF member 'CharlieNoble' that I read over and over. The blog has been lost to the sands of time now, but at one point, it had me frothing so hard that I came to within inches of buying his boat, and setting off for the horizon. I just wasn't ready yet.

If it makes you feel any better, my desire to sell out and be a boat dweller came and went MANY times over the years. There was a four year stretch when I'd completely given up on the dream, because my partner at the time thought it was stupid. It's a bit of a red flag in hindsight, but at the time, his arguments seemed sound, and my dreams seemed silly.

Anyway, there I go being all long-winded again, haha.

I hope you find the boat that speaks to you. I hope you and your family love it more often than not, and I hope I see you out on Lake St. Clair sometime. If you ever see a big gray Manitowoc floating by, you be sure to throw a wave! You might even have some classmates aboard!

"Dave, I think you should gather your ramblings and make a book of it." :thumb:

Every human being has a million dollar novel in their head
only a very few have the ability to write it down

47. A Great Dismal Thanksgiving

Greetings Adventurers! It’s been a very long time since my last post. A thousand apologies for the gap. As I’m sure you’ve surmised by the title, I’m quite a long way behind at this point. We’ll need to break out the ol’ wayback machine to pick up the action where we left off. Everybody pile into the DeLorean.

giphy.gif

Sylphide and I ended up spending three nights at Salt Ponds. I spent most of a day in a rental car making a trip back up to Deale, where some packages had arrived days later than they were supposed to. There wasn’t anything particularly interesting or important in the shipment, but I figured I might as well grab them before I got too much farther away. So much for free shipping, I guess.

The rest of our stay in Salt Ponds was spent relaxing and taking care of all the boring and mundane chores that keep things moving along. I filled the water tanks, took out the trash, and restocked the galley. I might even have clipped my toenails. Thrilling stuff. Careful, don’t fall off the edge of your seat!

Eventually we were ready to shove off. We did so early on the day before Thanksgiving, and made our way out into the Chesapeake, which we wouldn’t be seeing again for many months. It was a fine last look, though. The weather was fair, and the trip was as comfortable as it was quick. Before we knew it, we were rounding Old Point Comfort, and entering Hampton Roads.

The world’s largest naval base was soon taking up most of my eastern horizon. There were a whole bucket of carriers in town, the Nimitz class Dwight D. Eisenhower and John C. Stennis, and the newer Gerald R. Ford. There was the usual festival of of Arleigh Burke Class destroyer/workhorses, and a sprinkling of Ticonderoga Class cruisers for extra flavor. I even caught a few fleeting glimpses of submarine conning towers. Neat.

IMG_4122-1536x824.jpeg

A little farther down the line, and the warships got fewer and farther between. We started to see more characters from the supporting cast. The oilers and supply ships, the RO-ROs and the hospital ship USNS Comfort. You might remember that one from such television programs as ‘the news.’ She was the one who went to New York during the height of the pandemic scare last year.

IMG_4126-1536x1152.jpeg

The harbor was it’s usual bustling self. There were a few fellow cruisers out and about, and the workaday tug fleet was out tuggin’ an’ shovin’. My new AIS earned it’s keep when one of the tugs called me by name over the radio to work out some passing arrangements. It’s so much more civilized and professional when the conversation doesn’t have to start with ‘uhhhh, callin’ the sailboat northbound off the ol’ Billybob Dock, this is the tug Mumblemumble, wher’n ya headin’ skipper?’ When he just calls ‘Sylphide,’ I don’t have to spend thirty valuable seconds standing there thinking ‘Wait, I’m not a sailboat… is… is he talking to me? Where the hell is the old Billybob Dock? What did he say his name was? Mulva?’

With that crisis averted, we safely passed each other, and carried on with our respective missions. Up ahead, I could just start to see the shapely stern of the USS Wisconsin sticking out around the corner. After checking the calendar to see what time it was, I found I had plenty to waste, so I decided to amble over to her and see how close I could get. As It turns out, ‘very’ is how close I can get.

IMG_4136-1536x1152.jpeg

IMG_4140-1536x1152.jpeg

She was all decked out for Christmas, her guns looking slightly less intimidating covered with festive wrapping paper. I told one of the passing caretakers I thought so, and he advised that as long as I didn’t scratch her paint, I had nothing to worry about.

With that detour successfully completed, I continued up the Elizabeth River. The traffic thinned as I got farther from downtown Norfolk, and the only bridge that could stand in my way, was tipped up when I arrived.

Soon, I reached a significant fork in the road. If I continued up the main channel, It would lead me toward Great Bridge, Atlantic Yacht Basin, and Coinjock. This is the route I’d taken the last two times I’d come through. The alternative route was a hard right turn into a much skinnier and shallower channel, ironically named Deep Creek. This would lead me through the Great Dismal Swamp.

I took the hard right, for no other reason than ‘eh, why not?’ I’d never been there before, and there wasn’t anything on the regular route that I’d really miss. I’d heard mixed reviews about the Dismal Swamp route. People seem to either love it or hate it. It’s got a much lower speed limit, capped at just five miles per hour, and it has a habit of being blocked by downed trees or excessive duckweed. The intel that I’d gathered said that there were no such hazards ahead, so the coast was clear.

I arrived at Deep Creek lock at around three in the afternoon. The lock wouldn’t open for a while yet, so I followed the friendly lockmaster’s advice, and threw a line around one of the dolphins below the lock. I took the opportunity to Windex the last of the Chesapeake salt off the windshield, and get everything ready for some tie-ups. With the engine shut down, the place was profoundly quiet. I took a seat on the sundeck, and absorbed the beautiful weather, and the beautiful scenery. It was a really lovely spot.

IMG_4154-1536x1152.jpeg

IMG_4153-1536x1152.jpeg

Eventually the time came, the lock opened, we waded in, and threw out a couple of lines. After I’d gotten used to the serenity, the sound of my spluttering exhaust bouncing off the lock walls was offensively loud, so I turned the noisemaker off, and enjoyed a nice quiet lift. I graffitied the lock wall.

IMG_4156-1152x1536.jpeg

Just above the lock, there’s a nice wooden dock with room for maybe three Sylphides to tie up for free. Fortunately there was only one of us this time, so we had the place to ourselves. There’s no power or water, but the price was right, and the scenery quite pleasant, especially in the fall.

IMG_4161-1536x1152.jpeg

IMG_4164-1536x1152.jpeg

Part of what made the dock as pleasant as it was, was the park right next door. There’s a parking lot running parallel to the dock, with a thin row of trees between them. The lot was mostly vacant while I was there, with a couple of notable exceptions.

The first was when a car came in and parked in spot farthest from the picnic area, and nobody got out. A short while later, another car pulled in next to the first car. These were the only two cars in an otherwise abandoned lot, as far away from anything as possible, and about fifty feet from me. The second person got out, and got into the first person’s car. Being a little nosier than I ought to be, I may or may not have sneaked a peek with my best binoculars. Well, let me tell you, those fellas were really enjoying each other’s company. Ahem.

giphy.gif

Well, I… didn’t see that happening today.

About an hour after the two uhhhhh….. lovebirds? I guess? had left, was the second notable arrival. A police car pulled in and parked about in the same spot. He didn’t get out for a while, but when he did, he came right out to the dock, and up to me. I couldn’t imagine what this might be about, but I wasn’t super comfy with the situation. Most of my experiences with police officers in the past had left me in a bad mood, so I was nervous. Was he going to ask me about those dudes noodling?

He didn’t. He asked how I was, and where I was from, and where I was heading, and whether I lived on the boat, and what kind of boat it was. He told me he’s always wanted to do what I was doing, but with his job and his family, he couldn’t. We talked about all of the sailing channels we both watched on the YouTubes, and commiserated over working night shifts. We carried on with this exceedingly pleasant conversation for a good fifteen minutes. I casually asked him about the neighborhood we were in, and whether I should be nervous spending the night there. He said no, and that it’s rarely ever more trouble than some bored kids smoking pots in the park after dark.

Before he left, he asked if I needed anything, a ride to the store maybe? He seemed to genuinely mean it, and I was honestly a little dumbfounded by his kindness and generosity. My inner nine year old even got a little excited at the prospect of riding around in a police car. I thanked him profusely, but I didn’t need anything. It was such an unexpected random act of kindness, and it made me feel silly for having such defensive instincts earlier.

The rest of the evening was quiet and comfortable. I slept well.

I got an early start the next morning in an effort to catch the first opening of the Deep Creek Bridge at 08:30. While I warmed up, I watched and listened to another cruising boat make their way through the lock behind me. It was Mikado, a nice looking fifty-something foot pilothouse trawler with a curvaceous canoe stern. I’d encountered this good ship and crew back in the spring when they’d moored next to me at Coinjock.

When they were clear of the lock and lined up behind me to wait for the bridge, I gave them a call on the radio to say hello. We had a gam on channel 68 for a while about the usual cruiser things. Where are you coming from, where are you headed, that sort of thing. They wished me a Happy Thanksgiving, which I’d nearly forgotten about, and they invited me over for a slice of pie if I decided to moor up next to them down the swamp at the visitor center. It was all very lovely, until the bridge operator broke in and told us to ‘quit bullshitting and pay attention!’ So we did.

He let us through, presumably with blood vessels bulging out of his neck, and we found ourselves on the Great Dismal Swamp Canal. This is the oldest continually operating man made canal in America, according to Wikipedia. It took twelve years to dig out of the swamp by hand, and opened in 1805. Apparently the whole thing was George Washington’s idea.

Aside from being an historic engineering marvel, it’s also quite beautiful, especially with the brightly colored fall foliage in all it’s glory. The canal is narrow, with steep banks, and tallish trees right up to the water’s edge. That, combined with the arrow-straightness of the 22 mile waterway, made me feel like a rubber duck in a rain gutter. Even on a gray and overcast day, It was a joy to throttle back and plod along at five(ish) miles an hour through the root beer colored water.

Along the way, we passed the old Superintendent’s house, thought to be the oldest structure on the canal. We also passed the SWAMP COMMANDER. No idea what this is, but I think I’m going to insist that I be addressed as SWAMP COMMANDER from this point forward, thankyouverymuch.

IMG_4172-1536x1152.jpeg

IMG_4173-1536x1152.jpeg

IMG_4179-1536x1152.jpeg

Eventually, we reached the South Mills Lock near the bottom end of the canal. We’d left Mikado and their pumpkin pie far behind by this point, and had resolved to make it to Elizabeth City before dark. So we had the lock to ourselves. The man-made part of the ditch met up with the Pasquotank River not long after the lock, and the channel started snaking around as much as the rest of the canal hadn’t. This part was definitely still wild, and complete with some cheesy hollywood fog machine effects, was decidedly swampy. It was very clear now where the Great Dismal Swamp got it’s name. It reminded me of the Waccamaw River in a very good way. Turns out I’m one of the people who really likes the Great Dismal Swamp Canal.

IMG_4186-1-1536x1152.jpeg

IMG_4192-1536x1152.jpeg

Elizabeth City eventually hove into view, and I lassoed myself a dock behind a restaurant supply warehouse. I know that sounds glamorous, but it wasn’t my favorite spot. There were a couple of reefer trucks idling in the parking lot all night, and the whole place was behind a fence and a locked gate. At least it was secure. It was also free, which is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Really though, I had everything I needed. It was wet and gray outside, but I was warm and dry and comfortable. I had enough internets to have a zoom visit with the family. I was even able to find some takeout, though I had to crane it over the eight foot fence with my biggest boat hook. It was a poor substitute for a homecooked Thanksgiving dinner, but I didn’t have to cook it, and that always tastes great. I had a lot to be thankful for.

Swamp Commander, Out.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom