The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I carried on up to Hampton and hunkered down at Salt Pond Marina. I'm back at work for another few weeks. Not sure what my plans are for when I get back...

What? WHAT? Heh, Dave, I've gotten used to my Sylphide fix with my morning coffee! That's just plain mean. You shouldn't let your job interfere with your boating, . . . and your posting here on TF! Like I said, just Plain MEAN!:D

I carried on up to Hampton and hunkered down at Salt Pond Marina. I'm back at work for another few weeks. Not sure what my plans are for when I get back...

Wifey B: Please be careful on the job and take any precautions you can. :)

What? WHAT? Heh, Dave, I've gotten used to my Sylphide fix with my morning coffee! That's just plain mean. You shouldn't let your job interfere with your boating, . . . and your posting here on TF! Like I said, just Plain MEAN!:D

I agree! I've been trying to get these people to see that it would be simpler for all parties if they just sent me the checks, and we didn't bother with any of this work crap. I dunno what the hell their problem is.

Wifey B: Please be careful on the job and take any precautions you can. :)

You can count on it. Right now, the most hazardous part of this gig is travelling to and from work, but that only happens once a month. Once we're here, we may as well be on the space station. Plus, we've got LOADS of toilet paper. :thumb:

Dave, thinking ahead... and given travel difficulties during all this... I have a suggestion for your next cruise.

Spend the whole summer here in the Chesapeake. Come all the way north at whatever pace you like, visit wherever (no shortage of scenery)... so you get to really know the area.

For likely anchorages, check out the book "Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholer's Guide" (or something like that) by Bill Shellenberger.

And I can probably spring for a beverage or two whenever your near enough up here around Annapolis... :)

-Chris

Yeah man, visit us in the Sassafras after the stop at Chris's marina.

My first morning at Atlantic Yacht Basin started with a chorus of noisy-ass Canada Chickens. I think they were trying to honk a Metallica song, but the only part they got right was the volume.

It was perfectly reasonable for them to be making a ruckus, it being late in the morning, and high time I’d got a move on anyway. Having made up my mind to find a new home, I’d settled on Salt Ponds Marina up in Hampton, VA. It would be a nice, leisurely thirty mile day. Once Perkins had warmed up, and with the help of the single staff member on duty, we slipped our lines and backed into the fairway around 1045.

I checked in with the Great Bridge, and the Great Bridge Lock, and reserved a spot for the 1100 opening. I was first in line, but was joined by several other pleasure craft, and a medium sized tugboat. The tug was ushered into the lock first, and I moored just opposite and astern of them.

I made a bit of a dog’s dinner of the tie up. I threw a line out from my port quarter, and was hoping to pivot on that line and keep the bow up against with some hard left and forward thrust. It was a trick that had always served me well on my first boat, Wayfarer. Sylphide is an entirely different animal though, and she had other plans. She pivoted the other way. I soon found myself across the lock, nearly ninety degrees from where I wanted to be, with my dinghy flirting with the wall astern, and my bow sniffing the tug’s arse. I solved this problem with a gratuitous helping of forward thrust, and in a little more time than my pride would prefer, we were back alongside. I can report that my stern cleat/ bollard/ bit/ timberhead is strong like bull.

In keeping with the apparent theme of the day, I had moored right next to another goose. This one was sitting on a nest about four feet away, and was not pleased to see me. She hissed at me several times, and even threw out some racial slurs. I’m pretty sure she had a gun, actually. I did my best to make friends, and was able to sneak past her to slap a sticker on the lock wall fenders. I’m part of this club now too.

After the lock, we led the pack for a glorious mile or so. Sylphide was proud to be at the head of the line. Her tail was wagging, her nose perked up a little higher, and she threw a slightly frothier bow wave. It didn’t last long, though. We were clearly slower than everyone but the tug. We slowed down to let them pass, and took up the familiar spot at the end of the parade. This actually worked out well for us, though. The other boats pulled out ahead, and had to wait for an opening at the next bridge, while we tootled up just in time to catch the opening. No lines, no waiting. Nice.

The trip through downtown Norfolk was a fairly busy one. In addition to my convoy of northbounders, there was a smattering of other traffic zig-zagging around haphazardly. One of the big pleasure boats I’d been in formation with since Great Bridge slowed down through this stretch, and I caught up with them. At one point, we were side by side, and they sort of corralled me over to the left side of the river. I got a little closer to the bank than I’d have liked. When I came around a corner to find a small center console coming the other way, it’s captain greeted me with his arms wide in a sort of ‘WTF are you doing?!’ gesture. I smiled like Forrest Gump, and waved at him like he was my favorite person on this, or any other planet.

Once I was clear of the downtown area, the channel opened out, and the traffic thinned. I put my feet up and stared contentedly out the window while Iron Mike and Chief Perkins took the conn. It was a beautiful sunny day, our temperatures and pressures were good, and I really enjoyed ogling the big Navy boats. I was wikipediaing the USS Something or Other, when I heard a couple of boats far out in front of me conversing on the radio. Apparently there was thick fog ahead.

img_2926.jpeg

The fog filled in as promised, but thankfully I’d made my way out of the shipping lanes before it did. I passed Fort Monroe and Old Point Comfort without seeing either, and shaped my course to northward. Once I got past Thimble Shoals, the fog lifted, and gave way to a beautifully calm Chesapeake. It was a blue bird day, and we finished the last few miles of the trip in fine fashion.

I put out the curb feelers and made my way into Salt Ponds Inlet, and by about three that afternoon, I’d found my spot at Salt Ponds Marina Resort. It was immediately obvious that this would be a much, much more comfortable place to spend the rest of my time off. The docks were nicer, the breeze was gorgeous, the scenery was lovely, and the water tasted way more gooderer. It was even less expensive than AYB. I was very happy with my decision to move. That’s one of the great advantages to living in a moveable house. If you don’t like your neighborhood, you can get yourself a new one.

After a few days, I found out that it would be another couple of weeks before I’d be going back to work. I thought about the possibility of continuing to cruise north, but with all of the uncertainty in the world, I decided I’d better just hold onto the spot I had, and stay put for a while. It was a nice spot, and it seemed as good a place as any to be quarantined for a while.

img_2955.jpeg

I spent my time playing video games, watching YouTube videos, and eating too much. I kept my sanity by taking the occasional walk around the marina, or to the beach across the way. It was open to anyone who wanted to walk or run there, provided they practice social distancing. Swimming and sunbathing were verboten. I was happy to comply.

I had plenty of time to consider just how lucky I am to be able to spend these crazy times doing what I would have been doing anyway. My job is still secure. I’m healthy, and so are all of my friends and family. Aside from not being able to tourist around towns, the greatest discomfort I’ve faced has been the grocery delivery service that brings me my food, wasn’t able to supply me with my first choice of chip dip.

I really am a very, very lucky man.

I had plenty of time to consider just how lucky I am to be able to spend these crazy times doing what I would have been doing anyway. My job is still secure. I’m healthy, and so are all of my friends and family. Aside from not being able to tourist around towns, the greatest discomfort I’ve faced has been the grocery delivery service that brings me my food, wasn’t able to supply me with my first choice of chip dip.

I really am a very, very lucky man.

Wifey B: We remind ourselves of that every day during this time. It's exactly the thoughtfulness and happiness I'd expect from you. Yes, you're very lucky, but, yes, you also show you appreciate it. :)

Oh hello. It’s been a while. I hope you’re well.

After a long 35 day work week, I was finally parolled. It took a couple of days travel by rented land yacht, but I eventually made my way back to Sylphide at Hampton, VA.

I’m always a little nervous to leave her for long stretches, but thankfully some very kind liveaboard neighbors were good enough to keep an eye on things while I was away. It went a long way toward helping me sleep at night. Thank you to the crew of Mile High for that.

I found all well aboard. The bilge was dry, there were no new life forms in the refrigerator, and despite a glancing encounter with a swirling wad of rain and wind called Arthur, everything was where I’d left it.

I took a few days to just relax a bit, and let my hair down. I can say that literally now, since I’m about three months overdue for a haircut at this point. I’m considering french braids. Maybe cornrows.

While I was away at work, I treated myself to some interweb shopping, and there was a glorious heap of packages waiting for me in the marina office. Most of what I’d ordered were bits and pieces I needed to tackle various projects around the boat. A fresh water line from my water heater had burst, and my battlefield repair had been a shoddy one. I remedied that with some shiny new hose and hose clamps. I replaced nearly all of the boiling lava hot halogen light bulbs aboard with plug and play LED units. The draw on the batteries is significantly less, and I no longer worry about accidentally vulcanizing my fingerprints off. I also picked up a sweet new bug screen for my companionway. Now I can leave it open for ventilation without paying for it with blood.

Once repairs and maintenance were as complete as they were going to get, and with some stores laid in, it was high time to get moving again. The morning of May 26th was a clammy and foggy one, and it was something like 1030 before visibility was good enough that I was happy to leave. There were still a few patches of haze about, but the less than stellar visibility was the only thing that wasn’t ideal about the day. The wind was light, the seas were calm enough, and the temperature was pleasant. I spent a fair portion of the trip sitting on the forward cabin top, watching the water splash by.

Fifty miles, and seven hours later, the anchor splashed into the Great Wicomico River, just behind Sandy Point. I had the anchorage to myself, save for a few passing fishermen. I enjoyed a fairly marvelous sunset, and spent the rest of the evening eating mac n’ cheese, and catching up with friends on Zoom. I also spent some time looking for a smell on the boat. It was sort of fishy and trashy, and generally unpleasant, though not terribly strong. I later realized that I was down wind of some sort of seafood processing plant. So that’s nice.

The ever present morning fog was there to greet me the next morning, and I figured having a leisurely breakfast would be a nice way to wait for the fog to lift. Just like the day before, it wasn’t until about 1030 that visibility cleared, and Sylphide and I got underway.

Almost as soon as I cleared the bay, and pointed my bow to northward, the fog rolled back in. I had joined a convoy of other cruising boats who were also heading out of the Reedville area, and it was a small bit of comfort to have them close by when the visibility dropped to less than a quarter of a mile. We were in relatively shallow water, nowhere near any shipping channels, and there were no big AIS targets nearby, so it wasn’t as stressful as it could have been.

e3737374-f543-448b-9d2d-56bed7e0a79d.jpg

Look at this fog! Just kidding, this is actually a picture of my ceiling. But look at this fog:

bc5dabd2-f2db-415a-bf4e-bb12768500ac.jpg

I really need a Radar.

To keep me from becoming too comfortable with the situation, the universe arranged for some sort of fish farm thingy to loom out of the gloom a little closer than I’d have cared for it to be. The damn thing looked like the Black Pearl emerging from the depths, and appeared so suddenly, and so close by, that it was quite startling.

img_3216.jpeg

Thankfully the fog lifted a short time later, and gave way to another excellent day for cruising. Stephen Fry read me some more Sherlock Holmes stories, and for a while I resumed my new favorite perch on the bow. I’d been hoping to see some dolphins, but no such luck lately. I’m starting to wonder if there’s something they don’t like about Sylphide. I keep hoping they’ll come play, but they always seem to have other engagements.

Solomons, MD was my destination, and I lasso’d me a dock at Calvert Marina right around 5 that night. The next few days looked like they might be less than pleasant, with wind and rain in the forecast, so I opted to stick around at Calvert for a couple of nights. There were a handful of folks coming and going at the marina, and I enjoyed some pleasant chat with some fellow boaters. The restaurant on site, Hidden Harbor, had some pretty tasty grub, and I partook a couple of times. Takeout of course.

Solomons seems like a nice place, and is one that I would like to take some time to get to know. Last time I was in town I anchored out, and really didn’t see much. This time, I opted to lay low for reasons of pandemic. I hope that things are closer to normal when I return in the fall. I miss touristing.

Gotta love getting rid of the halogen lights...

Definitely. At this point I'm down to only a handful of non-LED bulbs on the boat. 2 reading lamps in the aft cabin, but they're 120v (for no good reason), so they're more likely to be replaced than get new bulbs. And the bulbs in my instrument panel at the helm (and compass) are still incandescent. But they're tiny and most LED replacements are too bright, so they stay.

Wifey B: Life on Sylphide seems to have become so normal to you now, so comfortable. It's almost like you have long ago forgotten life as it was before, you go work and you come home to Sylphide, wherever she currently is. You've also learned to balance things and make life easy on yourself, to enjoy anchoring but also enjoy marinas, to enjoy meals on board but also from restaurants. I'm so happy to see the early bouts of anxiety so far behind you now. :D

Definitely. At this point I'm down to only a handful of non-LED bulbs on the boat. 2 reading lamps in the aft cabin, but they're 120v (for no good reason), so they're more likely to be replaced than get new bulbs. And the bulbs in my instrument panel at the helm (and compass) are still incandescent. But they're tiny and most LED replacements are too bright, so they stay.

It was really satisfying to see that the lights I usually use in the main cabin draw practically nothing. My single incandescent anchor light uses more juice than the dozen or so interior LEDs use combined.

I still have a bunch left to change out. Some of the replacements I ordered don't fit, and a few others weren't quite the right color. I got a couple of 'cool white' ones by accident, and they just don't look good with the rest of the warm glow in the cabin.

Wifey B: Life on Sylphide seems to have become so normal to you now, so comfortable. It's almost like you have long ago forgotten life as it was before, you go work and you come home to Sylphide, wherever she currently is. You've also learned to balance things and make life easy on yourself, to enjoy anchoring but also enjoy marinas, to enjoy meals on board but also from restaurants. I'm so happy to see the early bouts of anxiety so far behind you now. :D

You and me both! I have no regrets at this point, and I'm very glad to be where I am. I really don't miss the ol' homestead at all. I occasionally miss some of the conveniences of it, but that seems to be happening with less frequency all the time.

I'm heading up the Hudson to spend the summer close to some friends, and I'm hoping to offload the rest of my junk and get the house sold. I'm looking forward to having that much less baggage, and a little cash to get that radar...

Interestingly, there is a Wicomico river on the Eastern shore that goes from Salisbury, MD to the bay just above Deale Island.

Ted

Dave:

Thanks for posting your adventures. Always good to sail with you, but especially now.

Solomons, MD was my destination, and I lasso’d me a dock at Calvert Marina right around 5 that night. The next few days looked like they might be less than pleasant, with wind and rain in the forecast, so I opted to stick around at Calvert for a couple of nights. There were a handful of folks coming and going at the marina, and I enjoyed some pleasant chat with some fellow boaters. The restaurant on site, Hidden Harbor, had some pretty tasty grub, and I partook a couple of times. Takeout of course.

Solomons seems like a nice place, and is one that I would like to take some time to get to know. Last time I was in town I anchored out, and really didn’t see much. This time, I opted to lay low for reasons of pandemic. I hope that things are closer to normal when I return in the fall. I miss touristing.

Yep, we like Solomons, although we usually stay at Zahniser's on the other side of the creek from where Calvert is. Way more places to walk to... as in, almost everywhere in Solomons except for Hidden Harbor.

If you're passing this way tomorrow, give a wave if you see us. I dunno our exact schedule but we're supposed to go our tomorrow sometime, if only briefly...

-Chris

Last edited:
So Dave, back to those white bulges you call something else. You panning around seems to have revealed an imbalance for side to side in style and possibly numbers. Symmetry, man, symmetry!:rofl::D

Omg you left the helm single handed! I’m surprised a whale or a log didn’t jump in front of your boat in that instant. J/K :D. Enjoy every minute.

Interestingly, there is a Wicomico river on the Eastern shore that goes from Salisbury, MD to the bay just above Deale Island.

Ted

There's a similar phenomenon on the Great Lakes. I think 8/10 charts has a 'Round Island' on it... somewhere. Most of them aren't actually very round.

Dave:

Thanks for posting your adventures. Always good to sail with you, but especially now.

Thanks for coming along! :flowers:

Yep, we like Solomons, although we usually stay at Zahniser's on the other side of the creek from where Calvert is. Way more places to walk to... as in, almost everywhere in Solomons except for Hidden Harbor.

If you're passing this way tomorrow, give a wave if you see us. I dunno our exact schedule but we're supposed to go our tomorrow sometime, if only briefly...

I'm a bit behind on the bloggery, and I'm actually up in Cape May at the moment. I'll wave from here! :hello:
-Chris

So Dave, back to those white bulges you call something else. You panning around seems to have revealed an imbalance for side to side in style and possibly numbers. Symmetry, man, symmetry!:rofl::D

Hahaha, uh... Rich... My eyes are up HERE. I was wondering if anybody would call me on that. Yep, I've got two flavors, port and starboard. One of the port turned into chewing gum while I was away this time, and made a mess all over the port side, so I retired it. So yes. I am lopsided, listed, twisted and down by the head. MY SECRET IS OUT!

Omg you left the helm single handed! I’m surprised a whale or a log didn’t jump in front of your boat in that instant. J/K :D. Enjoy every minute.

I was hoping for some Sea World antics! And really, the visibility is so much better out there, so if anything I was standing a much more effective watch :ermm:

Stretch the AP remote up there, and yer gud!

There's a similar phenomenon on the Great Lakes. I think 8/10 charts has a 'Round Island' on it... somewhere. Most of them aren't actually very round.
Yes, and why does Lake Superior have to cities / towns named Grand Marais, Michigan and Minnesota?

Ted

Dave
Nice shot of the TF burger flying on the Wicomico R.
Hope to connect with you one of these days.
Our cruising will be rather limited this year but fortunate to have a newly rebuilt marina to enjoy and we do have Seneca Lk to enjoy.
Don

Dave that was me in the yellow center console southbound behind North Wildwood. One of the worst spots on the entire NJICW to try to talk on the radio. I hope you made it to your destination safely today. Catch you this fall.

Last edited:
Dave that was me in the yellow center console southbound behind North Wildwood. One of the worst spots on the entire NJICW to try to talk on the radio. I hope you made it to your destination safely today. Catch you this fall.

HAY! I'm awfully sorry to say I don't remember that particular interaction, lol. Today was... a blur. I don't think there was a good spot to talk on the radio all day. Hell, it was all I could do to find time to visit the head. I felt like I was on the NJ Turnpike, lol. I think I'll avoid that stretch if at all possible from now on. I lost about three hours waiting for bridges, and I ran aground.

Twice.

Woof.

HAY! I'm awfully sorry to say I don't remember that particular interaction, lol. Today was... a blur. I don't think there was a good spot to talk on the radio all day. Hell, it was all I could do to find time to visit the head. I felt like I was on the NJ Turnpike, lol. I think I'll avoid that stretch if at all possible from now on. I lost about three hours waiting for bridges, and I ran aground.

Twice.

Woof.

Wifey B: We've never had a problem in the NJ ICW. We've never taken it. Cape May to Atlantic City outside. :eek:

Hope you didn't have any damage. Hope it was more drifted aground than running. :)

There are also some areas not to be run on weekends. :ermm:

Twice.

Woof.

Yes you sure looked busy! I beeped my puny little horn a few times and waved. Where did you stop for the night?

Yes you sure looked busy! I beeped my puny little horn a few times and waved. Where did you stop for the night?

I made it to anchor at Brigantine. I'm hanging out in a bunch of rich peoples' back yards.

I made it to anchor at Brigantine. I'm hanging out in a bunch of rich peoples' back yards.
Are they waving to you? Or is that a salute?

After a few quiet days in Solomons, it was time to press on. It had been a while since I’d gotten fuel, so I decided to take a splash on my way out of town. I’d passed quite a few really cheap fuel docks on my way up the ICW, but for one reason or another, I didn’t take advantage. Calvert was a tad steep by pandemic standards, but compared to this time last year, it was a good deal.

I took 80 gallons. That’s all I’d used in the 381 miles since Southport, way back in March. That works out to 4.76 nautical miles per gallon, or about 1.5 gallons per hour at 7 knots.

While fairly terrible by car standards I'm pretty pleased with those numbers. I bet my house gets farther on a gallon of diesel than yours does!

In comparison, my last boat Wayfarer, which was much smaller but much faster, only managed about 1 mpg at cruising speed. I could only hold enough fuel to go about 120 miles. In fact I tested that one time unintentionally, when I found out the hard way that my fuel gauge wasn’t very accurate. I ran out within vomiting distance of the fuel dock, and had to be towed in by a jet ski. It was a bit embarrassing.

With Sylphide, I have a theoretical range of something like 1,700 nautical miles. That’s about the distance from New York to Martinique, or Aruba, or Guatemala, or even Butte, Montana as the crow flies. I have no intention of ever testing that theory.

Anyhow, that’s enough nerd stuff.

Since memorial day, I’d taken to flying my merchant marine flag. I like a good flag, and I like to show a little appreciation for an under memorialized group that gave more than their fair share. As a result, I’ve met several new people that I may not have otherwise. The first was the fuel dock attendant at Calvert. He asked about it, and after I told him what I do for a living, I found out that he’s a cadet a the same college I went to. We had a nice chat about the school, the old training ship, the new training ship, whether that one bastard was still there or not, and about how the pandemic has screwed up everyone’s plans. It was nice to be conscious of how glad I was to not be at that school any more.

When I cleared Solomons, I found a really beautiful day out on the Chesapeake. For once, there was no fog, and the sun was out all day. It was a hot one, and I was very glad to be out on the water with a nice breeze to keep me comfortable. The run was smooth and pleasant. There was lots of other boat traffic out, but all well behaved and easily avoided. I whiled away the hours with another audiobook, and did some thumb exercises on my phone.

I had originally planned to stop somewhere in Annapolis again, but decided to try someplace new this time around. I opted for Rock Hall, because why not. It didn’t really matter where I stayed, since I was only planning to spend the night anyway. Sylphide and I pulled into Rock Hall Landing at around 1800, and got checked in just as the pool was closing for the day. I had really hoped to use said pool, as I had been sweaty AF all day. I tried showing the pool attendant some leg, but it didn’t help, and I had to cool off in the shower instead.

The dock I was tied to was a busy one. There were lots of folks milling around and socializing. There was a cruising couple in a nice DeFever 44 who were particularly friendly. I did my best to be polite and sociable while maintaining some distance, but to be honest, it felt nice for things to almost seem normal again.

The next morning I timed my start in the hopes of catching a fair current through the C and D canal. I was underway by about 0900, and followed in the wake of my new friends on the DeFever. They knew a shortcut that I didn’t, and were a good knot faster than me anyway, so they pulled ahead and disappeared over the horizon fairly quickly. The weather was sunny and warm again, but there was quite a lot of wind. Thankfully the bay had narrowed enough that there wasn’t enough fetch for any real waves to form, though I did bash into one fairly enormous wake, courtesy of this Dependable chap:

img_3224.jpeg

I caught the easterly current through the canal, and made good time through to the Delaware side. I picked a spot to anchor just south of the east end of the canal, tucked in behind Reedy Island. The wind was forecast to be north westerly, so I expected to find some decent shelter there. The wind was more northerly though, and was still blowing pretty hard when I arrived. The land on all sides was quite flat and low lying, and It doesn’t seem too likely that there’s much shelter from any wind direction. There was a fair bit of a sea running, but there weren’t any other obvious options nearby, so I decided to give it a try, and see how she sat. I stuck out a little extra chain, and dug myself in.

She held like an absolute champ. The current reversed twice while I was there, and at one point, There was a 20 knot breeze and a three knot current running in the same direction, and she didn’t budge an inch. I’ve never had any reason to doubt my ground tackle’s capabilities, but this absolutely cemented my trust in it. I was able to get a good night’s sleep, secure in the knowledge that I was well fastened to the earth, in the reassuring shadow of a nuclear power plant.

nukes.jpg

Cozy!

The following day was Delaware Bay Day, which began with my DeFever friends steaming past and giving a toot, while I was still in my underwear rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and having a bit of a scratch.

This leg of the trip had kicked me right in the nuts on the way south, and I wasn’t much excited for a rematch. Last time, the forecast called for fairly benign conditions, and I was greeted by a sloppy mess that sent me back to Cape May with my tail between my legs, and a mess to clean up. I’m still finding wayward coffee beans from that episode. So this time, with some wind forecast, I was dubious about my chances. Thankfully things lined up beautifully for this round. The wind and current were working together to keep things calm and comfortable, and even gave me a nice speed boost. Lovely.

My next stop was Cape May. On my way south, I’d anchored out here, and I considered doing the same this time as well. I wouldn’t be able to do much tourism anyway, so I thought I might save myself some money.

On the other hand, I needed groceries, I had laundry to do, and I had a few things to take care of in the engine room as well. I also had tentative plans to anchor out just about every night until I reached the upper Hudson River, so this would be my last obvious option to tie up for a while. There were several marinas in town that had good reviews, and I decided to stop at Utsch’s, because why not.

Getting into the marina was a little tricky for a non local like myself. Neither of my charts showed much detail, and if it wasn’t for some local knowledge I’d gleaned from Trawler Forum, I could easily have screwed it up. I got the entrance channel part right while nobody was looking, but thankfully I found another chance to screw up where lots of people could see me. The fairways in the marina are pretty skinny, not much wider than Sylphide is long, in fact, and I had to turn 90 degrees to get into my slip. It wouldn’t have been any trouble on a calm day, but unfortunately it wasn’t a calm day. The wind was shoving me onto the dock, and despite having the help of a couple of dock hands, I bumped into the corner piling with just enough force to make me look like a jerk

Thankfully, in the war between aluminum and wood, the metal generally wins. Nothing was bent or bruised but my pride, and who doesn’t need to be knocked down a peg or two from time to time?

I checked in, plugged in, rigged the fresh water hose, said hello to the neighbors, and made myself at home. My flag worked it’s magic again, and I had a nice chat with another neighbor who is a fellow merchant seaman. He was also living aboard and single handing in a sharp looking Pacific Seacraft.

I ended up staying at Cape May for four hot and sunny days. From what I could see from a couple of Lyft rides, The town is a lovely one, and one that I plan to spend more time getting to know in the future. Much of the town was still closed for pandemic season, and while it looked busy enough to me, the locals said it was eerily quiet for this time of year. Utch’s was a pleasant place to stay, and the staff were all pleasant and helpful.

I ran my errands and got my chores done, and still found plenty of time to sit on my ass and be lazy in between. What more could a girl ask for?

Vomiting distance? Now there's one heck of a descriptive. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom