Tennessee to Lake Michigan- Mississippi Upriver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newcastlegreg

I have explored quite a bit of the Great Loop and would like to Cruise the Great Lakes more.
My boat is currently in the Tennessee/ Mississippi area. The various rivers seem doable but that last 230 mile stretch on the Mississippi people seem dubious about. The 32 foot trawler I have has a 280hp diesel and normally burns about 2gal per hour at 7 knots. Top speed about 14 knots. Going against current I am guessing about 5 gal per hour. It actually normally has an 800 mile range at around 7 knots - no current. I have some questions if anyone has experience with making this trip.
My Qustion:
Best time of year to go?
Ideas about what the river current speed would be?
People say hitting debris going upriver is really stressful as they are coming at you?
Safe refuge along the MS that last 200 miles?
Commercial traffic dangers?
Fuel stops?
Any stories from people who have accomplished that trip?

I've done it. My blog has a brief account, starting here: Kentucky Lock

There isn't much in terms of refuge or fuel. Hoppie's is the only stop between Paducah and Alton.

Debris is largely determined by water levels, and more importantly trends. A rising river brings debris off the banks, so try to travel during stable or falling river levels.

There are lots of available resources for monitoring and forecasting levels. Here's one I was watching to decide when to do that segment: https://riverweather.com/riverstages/wxriverdetail.php?id=cpgm7

When I went up it was at about 17 ft and stable, and there was very little debris. I've gone down that stretch with water levels at zero and at 30 ft. With higher water there's more turbulence and current, but I think it's doable at anything less than about 30 ft. The strongest current I've seen was 4-5 mph through St Louis, but below that is more moderate, average about 3 mph.

I did it during Covid and some of the details are here.

Did it at the worst possible time of the year. Beginning of May when all of North America is draining down on you and most of the fleet is lined up with their first sets of tows. Yes there were lots of deadheads in the water but we were more focused on maneuvering around tows. We were clearly at a "delivery" pace and burned about 300 gallons a day. Thankfully fuel during Covid was dirt cheap. Regarding fuel on the Mississippi before St Louis, we hired a truck to meet us on a wall for a private delivery - there aren't really many options along the way. Although later in the season, without a schedule, at trawler speeds, it would be completely different. I have the logs from each day if there's something specific you'd like me to check.

BD

Back
Top Bottom