Taping and varnish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And watch out if you use a heat gun near laminated glass windows. The POs previous contractor went wild. :nonono:

The question you have to ask yourself is: How much do you trust yourself to sand only the teak and not the fiberglass. The tape gives you a little protection from, oops.

Hi Tangler.
I respectfully disagree with. I find 3m original blue is inexpensive not cheap. I tried frog twice but went back to 3m blue. If I need crisp lines I will burnish the edge with the bowl of a metal teaspoon. Watch it cause it will get hot. I don't do teak that's the wife's thing. I'm generally painting with awlgrip and that stuff will bleed UP under tape against gravity. But I admit I haven't tried fine line.
YMMV

Yes, the 2 part poly paints will bleed under blue tape. I have found that fine line works best with them.

The only enamel painting I will be dealing with is my window frames. Since they will have caulk around them after repainting if I have a little bleed under the tape it won't hurt anything as it will be covered. Here's hoping the paint keeps the caulk line clean though. My experience has been caulk is a much easier job..

My experience is that one part paints don’t bleed as much as the 2 part paints which are usually thinner. You will probably be good if you are using a one part enamel.

I too tape before sanding, always. It takes very little OOPS to put marks into the gelcoat AND the glass windows which cannot be repaired.

Back
Top Bottom