Taiwan made DeFever designs -1987

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryPete

Vessel Name
Positive Space
Vessel Make
Davis Defever 40
I purchased a 1987 40 foot double cabin, twin diesel trawler this past summer. I love the boat but have very little history on it. The design is clearly DeFever, but in 1987 I understand they were built in the US. The boat builder was Seiyen Enterprise Co., LTD in Keelung, Taiwan. I contacted them directly but probably won’t hear anything back. Anybody able to add color to this manufacturer? It had to be produced under a name like CHB, President, Albin, Mainship, etc.

Attachments

• 3D68BA2F-3AC7-4CD8-8312-DF9250C9ED91.jpg
    3D68BA2F-3AC7-4CD8-8312-DF9250C9ED91.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 69
Congrats on your new boat. I think that some of the 40s were built in Southern California but don’t know which years.

The DeFever Cruising Club will be able to provide some help in your query.

Last edited:
Could be.

What was the previous name?

From the owners site.

DF40 Passagemaker
The Passagemaker was built by Jensen Marine in Costa Mesa, California. Usually powered by a single 120-hp Lehman diesel. Owners stateroom aft with head. Guest stateroom and head forward.

DF40, Downeast
The Downeast 40 looks very much like the Passagemaker 40. The bridge and windows are the tip off. Owner's cabin aft, guest cabin in bow. Two heads.

The first pic is the Passage maker, the next us the Downeast.

Attachments

• 20071021_152554_15OZ1Y8WZEGOD5JQNFUP.jpg
    20071021_152554_15OZ1Y8WZEGOD5JQNFUP.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 191
  • 2008228_191536_CC0HCU4FV7DWYQUICCV1 (1).jpg
    2008228_191536_CC0HCU4FV7DWYQUICCV1 (1).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Don't hold out hope of getting a true sense of the linage of your boat; but please share anything you learn... Hopefully the below will help some:

There were a series of (what I believe are) DeFever copies/lookalikes made in Taiwan in the late 1970's to late 1980's that had a distinctive look to them. Most were, like the photos from Menzie's, drafted along the lines of DeFever's Passagemaker. They may have been directly from DeFever molds that were left in Taiwan, or pulled from DeFever boats, or original designs intended to be copies, I have no idea. They are remarkably similar, I think. Whatever they are, they, like the Passagemaker, have beautiful lines - that's what we fell in love with when we found NWD.

There was a specific hull mold that seemed to generate the same look/interior as your boat (and mine.) They are an approximate 41 ft LOA / 14 ft beam semi displacement hull, with a single chine that is not as hard/flared as a Grand Banks would be. The keel starts at the bow and continues straight back nearly to the props. The keel is molded for a single, but many boats were made with twins.

The boats nearly always have the twin portholes in the v-berth, have the same uniquely shaped anchor locker doors, as well as similar cabinetry throughout the years. It appears the same craftsman/families continued to have a part in building the boats since so many things stayed the same, despite the passage of time/different "pedigree".

Just like CHB/Marine Trader 34', these boats I fear suffer from various pedigrees. However, my boat too was built in Keelung by Seiyen Enterprises.

I've found them under the name Davis International Yachts (most examples), Hudson, Lindmark, and Tien Lai Ling. They are often marketed by brokers as one of those names with "DeFever" attached, even though I have yet to find DeFever's name legitimately attached as designer anywhere. I have copies of both an original sales brochure from Davis International for my boat, as well as magazine ads, and neither mention his name. I believe mostly the above companies were importers who found the boat builder and decided to "make it there own". There were a few differences. For example, Lindmark (I think) was the only one that had all teak decks - all the rest had fiberglass non-skid decks

The boats also bear a distinct resemblance to the Formosa (of the famous sailboats) 42 ft trawlers.

The later 1980s (and even early 1990's) boats have a portion of the lazarette pushed back to make a walkaround queen, as well as the rest of the aft deck/lazarette sunken to create a mini-cockpit area. Obviously these boats had a change to the cabin top mold. Otherwise, aside from different engines/appliances, they look remarkably similar in and out.

While I don't know any more about your boat (it was on the market for a long time as a "Davis DeFever". Davis Marine WAS in business until 1988 according to WA state records... but I don't see the Davis nameplates on the sides of the flybridge, I also have a large one on the transom...) I have found examples of similar boats marketed as 41 ft Unison DeFever's. Those were 2001 models.

With all the other documentation I received from my PO, along with the original engine warranty cards, etc, I received (very basic) original wiring and plumbing diagrams labeled "Unison 41" and labeled with several numbers matching my HIN. So I believe that the "Unison 41" is the original common name/design, but don't know if that is a company or design name. The Unison company exists in Taiwan today only as a shipping/steamer company.

I've never found a builder's plate on my boat.

Hopefully this is a start for you. If you'd like more info, or some of the files/data I've gathered, let me know.

Congrats on the boat, I bet the cockpit makes life a dream getting in and out of the dink!

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply and the interesting background. She was marketed as a Davis DeFever, and looks very similar to your thumbnail photo. I would enjoy exchanging a few photos to see similarities. This one has original twin Perkins 135hp Diesel engines. And a walk around queen bed in the aft cabin. Beautiful teak throughout as I am sure yours does as well. What year did yours come out of Seiyen? We’re HIN’s sequential? Maybe ours were boatyard brothers in Keelung! Hope to cross paths some day. Thanks again.

Hello
My name is Michael and im fron Denmark. I own a boat like yours.
It is ordret by Unison marine and build by Seiyen, Taiwan. Its build in 5 copy, and mine is build in 1988 and got hull number 002.
Since yours is from 1987 yours must be cary number 001.

In Scandinavia 2 boats where importet by Norwegian manufactor Scan Boat, and 1 is in Denmark, another in Norway and the rest 3 is in the US.

There is a slight difference in both the interior and the flybridge design.
Some got galley down, with bar, like mine, and some with galley up in saloon, and some have curved flybridge front and other similar to Grandbanks with edges.
best regards
michael

Hello again ?
I uploaded some pics ?
Best regards
Michael

Attachments

• 411EA45E-34AC-435C-9905-DA5277BEC18F.jpg
    411EA45E-34AC-435C-9905-DA5277BEC18F.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 0F5F2369-333D-4D42-BE2E-DBEE05C87151.jpg
    0F5F2369-333D-4D42-BE2E-DBEE05C87151.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 41
  • 2F4F8D4A-A8F1-4C79-BFAE-6EF149E918BC.jpg
    2F4F8D4A-A8F1-4C79-BFAE-6EF149E918BC.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 40
Hello Michael: very glad to hear from you. Your exterior photos look very similar to my boat. I have been trying to find more history of my boat but have not had much success. I even contacted the boatyard in Taiwan but they did not respond. Yes, my boat was built in 1987 for Davis using a DeFever design. My salon/galley is up, with fore and aft suites lower. My flybridge looks like yours as best as I can tell. My stairs from transom to the first level is in the starboard size. Engines are twin Perkins diesels 135hp each. My wife and I really enjoy our boat and tour the Pacific Northwest in Puget Sound and the San Juan islands. I hope we can stay in contact! /Gary
email: gepeterson@comcast.net

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom