Submarine missing - private Titanic expedition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
A private submarine taking passengers to see the wreck of the Titanic is reported missing:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/19/europe/titanic-shipwreck-vessel-missing-intl/index.html

This is the outfit offering for-pay visits to the Titanic:

https://oceangate.com/expeditions/titanic-survey-expedition.html

It’s hard and dangerous enough being on the surface of the ocean. Diving over 2 miles down adds an entirely new world of risks.

A private submarine taking passengers to see the wreck of the Titanic is reported missing:

It’s hard and dangerous enough being on the surface of the ocean. Diving over 2 miles down adds an entirely new world of risks.

For a mere $250,000 per tourist! And for that price, you don't even get your own window!

Should add to our recent conversation about acceptable level of risk.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
For a mere $250,000 per tourist! And for that price, you don't even get your own window!

Small supplementary charge if you want a window seat. Just like the airlines. Maybe only another $500,000 surcharge on the sub.

Should add an interesting wrinkle to our recent conversation about public costs of risky behavior.

"We are deeply thankful for the extensive assistance we have received from several government agencies and deep sea companies in our efforts to reestablish contact with the submersible,” the group said. “We are working toward the safe return of the crewmembers.”"

Last edited:
Ocean pressure at 13,000 feet depth is about 6,500 psi. What could go wrong? How hard could it be to design and build a sub that can reliably handle that?

These submarines have ditchable ballast, so it should be a matter of finding them on the surface.

Ted

These submarines have ditchable ballast, so it should be a matter of finding them on the surface.

Ted

Assume for a moment that they haven't imploded. What are the consequences of a rapid ascent after "ditching" the ballast?

Or rolling around in a tin can in a beam sea for a couple days? I have trouble picturing a good finish to this story.

Assume for a moment that they haven't imploded. What are the consequences of a rapid ascent after "ditching" the ballast?

Or rolling around in a tin can in a beam sea for a couple days? I have trouble picturing a good finish to this story.

The ditchable ballast provides for a modest ascent rate to the surface. Many are designed where dropping the ballast is the normal procedure to end the dive.

Rapid ascent isn't possible as the ditchable ballast is a small part of the overall weight required to hold it down.

As the space inside the vessel is one atmosphere (sea level) there is no consequence to those inside.

What I don't know is what the signaling capability is once on the surface. Some may not even be openable from inside. In any case, the freeboard would be extremely low for the sub on the surface. I've never seen one of the deep submersibles that was opened before being being back on the mother ship.

Ted

I would think that safety gear would include having radios aboard, including an EPIRB.

I read somewhere that the sub was regularly towed back and forth between St John's and the wreck, something like 300 miles each way.

The ditchable ballast provides for a modest ascent rate to the surface. Many are designed where dropping the ballast is the normal procedure to end the dive.

Rapid ascent isn't possible as the ditchable ballast is a small part of the overall weight required to hold it down.

As the space inside the vessel is one atmosphere (sea level) there is no consequence to those inside.

Ted

Thanks. Reassuring...sorta.

NY Times online is providing stream of updates. This is from 5pm EDT:

Mauger said that the United States has deployed two C130 aircraft, with an additional on the way from the New York National Guard, and that the Canadians have sent a C130 and a P8 submarine search aircraft. “On the surface we have the commercial operator that’s been on site, and we’re bringing additional surface assets into play,” he said, adding that they will provide some “subsurface” search ability.
June 19, 2023, 4:46 p.m. ET

Back
Top Bottom