Stress and boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
View boating as one of the few things in life where just about everything is logical. That being the case if you maintain the right attitude it can be a zen like activity. With the right preparation and an open mind to learning you can master the variables to a greater degree than in many other aspects of life. It’s satisfying to boat and self reinforcing. Even the bad cold wet bumpy days give a sense of accomplishment as does addressing things if it means a work around or a fix.

I also view boating as an activity where there’s always something more to learn. Sometimes you learn from an experienced hand but not infrequently a newbie shares a pearl.

In another thread it was implied there’s little stress to boating. I believe that’s not true. But if something stresses you (I didn’t check so and so , what’s that new noise, better review lights as I’ve forgotten a bunch and find a good cheat sheet etc.) it motivates you to deal with it. That’s a good thing. But in boating it’s very rare a stressor can’t be put to bed.

As in life the most difficult stressors in boating are the things you have little control of. Things like will that crew do what is asked? Did that yard do a good job? Is that new thing I put on the boat reliable, will the time to source that part make me lose my weather window?

As crew I do what the skipper asks unless it a manifest threat to life and limb or the boat. Even if I think there’s a better way I do it the skipper’s way. Might discuss it after the fact if appropriate. As skipper before the evolution might ask for a discussion. Might not. But expect directions to be followed when given.

I’m curious do others have the same attitude as me? “There’s nothing as much fun as messing around with boats “ . That the stress involved is a good thing. Makes you a better boater. Makes you pay attention. Makes you learn. Makes you strive to do more.

If I was constantly worried or stressed, I would quit boating. Constantly questioning everything isn't healthy, especially for seniors.

I don't dutifully follow the captain, unless it's me :rolleyes:. While I'm not going to nit pick, it's rare that a captain (who invited me) wouldn't know my experience level. If something bad happens, and the captain asks," why did you let me do that"? "Because your the captain", is a pretty lame excuse. Likewise, I don't feel an obligation as crew / passenger to go because the captain says were going (think weather).

I do this for fun! Constant stress isn't fun. When paranoia preoccupies an activity I've done for over 50 years, it's either time to reduce the level at which I play the game, or quit.

Ted

Running my first "big" boat after thousands of hours in small boats is challenging for me. And I suppose the challenge, particularly navigating and maneuvering and docking in tight spots, is what makes it stressful.

I think I enjoy it because of the challenge, but the challenge makes it stressful. But I don't enjoy the stress just for the sake of stress. I suppose that makes sense.

I didn't grow up in a boating family. Closest family member would be my grandparents who emigrated to Ellis Island from Sicily.

When I caught the boating bug 35+ years ago, I found docking super stressful. Had I not been able to overcome it, it would have killed the experience - certainly kept me from taking the boat out in the morning knowing I had to confront afternoon winds on return (I hired a captain to teach me, then practiced like hell).

My observation is when people get stressed, they do not communicate well. Can be incredibly hard on a spouse. Not a good thing.

Peter

I didn't grow up in a boating family. Closest family member would be my grandparents who emigrated to Ellis Island from Sicily.

When I caught the boating bug 35+ years ago, I found docking super stressful. Had I not been able to overcome it, it would have killed the experience - certainly kept me from taking the boat out in the morning knowing I had to confront afternoon winds on return (I hired a captain to teach me, then practiced like hell).

My observation is when people get stressed, they do not communicate well. Can be incredibly hard on a spouse. Not a good thing.

Peter

This is what I learned in Aviation Safety. When the stress gets too much.... performance drops off dramatically....including the most basic skills like communicating.

Some boaters get to the point of never leaving the slip because of the stress of returning.

Attachments

• STRESS.jpg
    STRESS.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
It may not be Webster’s meaning but to me stress is about shutting down.

There is obviously a sense of peace being on the water that cannot be replicated.

Also the sense of accomplishment. New places seen. New skills learned. It pushes you in a healthy way if you let it. It keeps you alive and vibrant.

Having said that, some have the ability to continue to think and act under pressure and others don’t. Maybe those in the don’t category have a different view.

This is what I learned in Aviation Safety. When the stress gets too much.... performance drops off dramatically....including the most basic skills like communicating.

Some boaters get to the point of never leaving the slip because of the stress of returning.
Yep. Newbie docking a Uniflit 42 ACMY in a 25kt cross breeze (So San Francisco) is definitely on the right side of the panic line. It really sucked. It's why I went into teaching boat handling.

Peter

According to World Health Organization, Stress can be defined as a state of worry or mental tension caused by a difficult situation. Stress is a natural human response that prompts us to address challenges and threats in our lives. Everyone experiences stress to some degree. The way we respond to stress, however, makes a big difference to our overall well-being.

So, to me, every docking situation as we travel causes stress. I've never been here before...how are the winds...the currents...did I time slack tide right...etc. etc. etc. As soon as we're tied up I wonder how the heck I'm going to get out of here safely. Maybe there is good stress and bad stress or just how you handle it but I believe it's all about learning to handle it properly. I agree that if it's too much it stops being fun and becomes a safety issue.

Full disclosure, I was a firefighter in a former life. Maybe I "learned" to handle stress differently? My thoughts as we boat today are more like...if we crash, we crash but nobody's gonna die. My smart watch still says I had stress about the same time as being underway. Wouldn't change a thing.

Interesting topic. For me I wouldn't say it's stressful, but I would say that it can be draining. Not always, but when there are times that require a lot of concentration. Also the constant evaluation of the weather, where's the next stop, can we anchor there, what's the backup plan if the anchorage is full, etc. I find I really need a down-day every few days to a week just to get a break from it. Maybe it's the same thing as being stressful? I don't know, but I think of stressful as involving a lot of worrying. I just see it as requiring a lot of focus on a lot of things, and it's nice to get a break from it peridically.

Boating around the harbor for old timers shouldn't be stressful under normal circumstances.

Cruising familiars waters should be nearly stress free, but does require more " work" in terms of planning and concentration.

Cruising to unfamiliar but well charted, documented and travelled waters again takes on more planning and can start to induce more concern/stress.

Cruising to new places not well documented obviously will be stressful, but again, experience should turn a lot of that stress into anticipation excitement as a healthy diversion.

It can be summarized by the old philosophy of known unknowns and unknown unknowns and how they elevate stress levels.

Last edited:
I love boats and boating. It satisfies my need for adventure as well as my need to tinker and fix things. There are many facets for operating and maintaining a trawler and some of those facets give me no stress at all, even pleasure, and others can be quite stressful. Obviously docking is the thing I find most stressful since there are many variables outside of our control. But one thing that I discover...over and over..is that as experience and frequency of those experiences increases that stress quickly diminishes. In other words...go do it..and go do it alot. After many repetitions many things become so smooth that you wonder why you where ever stressed.

I am about to be stressed this Wednesday. After buying a boat that needed refurb weeks before covid, then slowing down progress drastically for covid, then going right into taking care of our mother in law with dementia for a year in which hardly any progress was made, we are planning the shakedown cruise this Wednesday. Boat has a bunch of new wiring, repairs, fuel system, tank work etc and I am rusty in the operation of nearly any boat for a few years. Boat US card will be front and center..lol. stress time!

I’m curious do others have the same attitude as me? “There’s nothing as much fun as messing around with boats “ . That the stress involved is a good thing. Makes you a better boater. Makes you pay attention. Makes you learn. Makes you strive to do more.

I still work. Trips on the boat are the work stress reliever, so if there is stress on the boat I have not noticed. Work follows me. Now with Starlink there is less work stress as I can be in touch.
When I leave the boat I always look back and then start counting the days for the next planned visit. In that sense there is little (less) stress on the boat.

Taking the boat to be hauled and bottom painted on Tuesday. Our boat is 70' overall and the fairway to the lift is 78' wide and then a 90 degree turn into the lift. I've never been there before and yes, I'm sure I will have some level of stress.

Taking the boat to be hauled and bottom painted on Tuesday. Our boat is 70' overall and the fairway to the lift is 78' wide and then a 90 degree turn into the lift. I've never been there before and yes, I'm sure I will have some level of stress.

With or without thrusters.
You can do it! :thumb:

Thanks Steve, I needed that! I have a hydraulic bow thruster but no stern thruster. The twin Cats should handle the stern just fine. It's that 90 degree turn with just 4' forward and 4' astern that is got me a bit concerned. Thinking I will try to get the bow a bit into the lift before I swing the stern all the way around.

If I was worried about stress I wouldn't have bought a boat. I look at it as more of a challenge.

When I bought it I didn't even know how to start the engines. A great adventure ahead!

So far I've only banged the dock once. Lesson, wait for the high or the low, river current is a problem that can be avoided. One learns from experience eh?

My stress involve finding a man to ‘take charge’ when I am away from the boat and bring a ‘team’ on board to correct definitives.

I used boating, sailing racing, as a stress reliever from professional work which given the opportunity will take over your life. Racing on Sydney Harbour on Saturday is demanding, multiple Club racing fleets each with their own start and finish lines, plus the boats you are competing with, plus ferries with right of way, means that if you don`t concentrate you`ll likely hit something. And as skipper, working to get the best out of the boat. Allowing no opportunity to think about work or anything else, just what you are doing, there and then.

Enjoying boating

It may not be Webster’s meaning but to me stress is about shutting down.

There is obviously a sense of peace being on the water that cannot be replicated.

Also the sense of accomplishment. New places seen. New skills learned. It pushes you in a healthy way if you let it. It keeps you alive and vibrant.

Having said that, some have the ability to continue to think and act under pressure and others don’t. Maybe those in the don’t category have a different view.

Totally agree FWT. A day on the water more than makes up for the 'stress' of departing, maintaining watch while under way, and docking at the destination. A tall cool drink in the cockpit afterwards always helps!!

Lucky for me... I grew up on, around, pleasure cruising in, working aboard, repairing used boats in boat yards and building new boats in a factory. Stress did not enter my lexicon regarding boating.

Matter of fact: Stress [as an independent entity] represents a [basically meaningless] gestation of fear-filled energy expenditure. Fear [stress] ignites three effects - Flight ASAP, Freeze in place or Flight it through; of which each affect decision chosen.

Therefore... throughout life... my practice is to not let all three "fear" effects of "stress" enter into my feelings. But rather to rely on the "Fight it through" aspect with "Flight ASAP" always at the ready if required. To "Freeze in place" is in my opinion a wasteful aspect that might be needed for a second to assess needs apparent... but can be disastrous if maintained for but an instant.

Soooo - I recommend... Fight it through, Flight ASAP only if necessary and don't Freeze in place but for an instant. I've found by following that rule the need for "Stress" melts away. In the long run - everything - is eventually going to be as it will be. By limiting the energy drain of stress, I believe each of us can produce the best outcomes.

This.
You don't get a sense of achievement unless what you achieved was challenging to you at your current level of ability or knowledge.
Then you've done it, so you try the next level and so on.
The trick is to get the level of challenge you want without the stress of it being overwhelming.
I revel in the challenges of boating when the opportunity arises but also the tranquility of just being out there.

One of my colleagues when I was a young air traffic controller opined, "one man's stress is another man's excitement."

This.
You don't get a sense of achievement unless what you achieved was challenging to you at your current level of ability or knowledge.
Then you've done it, so you try the next level and so on.
The trick is to get the level of challenge you want without the stress of it being overwhelming.
I revel in the challenges of boating when the opportunity arises but also the tranquility of just being out there.

=============================================
ran into this

“I am somebody who has been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to test my limits. And I would remind you philosophically that my definition of a fool is somebody who has reached his limits. Almost by definition, whatever goals you set, you need to constantly readjust them so that at no time do you reach your goals before your time is up.”

=============================================
ran into this

“I am somebody who has been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to test my limits. And I would remind you philosophically that my definition of a fool is somebody who has reached his limits. Almost by definition, whatever goals you set, you need to constantly readjust them so that at no time do you reach your goals before your time is up.”

Plans: A, B and C should always range available three levels deep... in case need be. Therefore, you may become nearly limitless inside your endeavors.

If all else fails... the safety switch plan of F-IT is usually available too. Then I turn the page and move on... to my next [nearly] limitless adventure!

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139187&d=1685219436

Please look at this graph. Please note performance improves as stress rises. Only if you allow extreme stress to overtake your thinking and control your emotional state does stress impact negatively.

In both my prior professional life and while boating you deal with blips of stress. You get to choose your response. You can train yourself to never be immobilized by stress. Many people confuse stress with anxiety. Anxiety is fear in anticipation of future events. Emotional stress is response to current events. Not having an anxiety disorder nor being OCD it’s extremely rare I experience anxiety on a boat.

Boating is logical. If appropriately prepared (good boat, educated from experience or learning , good crew) something comes up you quickly devise a plan and carry it out. With that state of mind anxiety is prevented. Even when it’s threatening the cardinal rules.
Keep the water out of boat.
Keep the people in the boat.
Keep moving toward your destination.

If I’m anxious on a boat it’s because of something happening on land. Find boating centering. One of the few activities I do where I mostly know immediately what is the correct course of action. When I do not so far I can figure it out.

The original post questioned if stress occasionally occurs on a boat. To my way of thinking of course it does. The responses have sometimes talked about anxiety. Please refocus on stress. Find boating quite peaceful. Find the blips of stressful occasions make for good stories and my mastering of them reinforcing that I can still do this activity well and safely. I rarely am anxious on a boat even when doing something I’ve never done before. Over time you start to understand yourself. You can predict what will make you anxious. But you garner skills, learning and have a body of experience so can eliminate the possibility of anxiety even occurring before the situation that could make you anxious occurs. Hence although you can never say never boating shouldn’t be an anxiety producing activity. Does it at times have occasional of stress. Yup. Have had the floorboards floating, been knocked down, have had no engine, have had others violate colregs, have had electronics go down, have had crew get sick so not enough bodies for a reasonable watch schedule and concern about them meaning more work and decision making, have gotten hurt etc. etc. I’m sure you have a list as well. But that’s not anxiety. That’s stress. You’re responding to what’s on your plate in the here and now.
I clearly don’t believe that experience nor prior learning eliminates those occasions of stress. In my mind that’s nonsense. To imply you won’t have stressful occasions if sufficiently experienced is demeaning and if you do it’s because you are inadequate is just plan wrong as well. Yes you compulsively prepare your boat and yourself for those occasions. Yes you don’t show hubris and avoid placing yourself in unsafe situations. But gremlins live on boats and others get anxious or do stupid stuff and you’re not perfect either. Show some humility. Makes for a more tranquil world.

Delighted many here have a really good attitude toward stress. Nicely summarized in posts 3,6, 8, and 25 among others. Glad to hear people mostly distinguish between stress and anxiety. It’s been a struggle to help my wife make this distinction between the two. A work in progress. Fortunately she’s getting there after several decades of her cruising with me. Occasionally I have to remind her how well she’s done and the things she’s achieved. Think in life in general it’s satisfying to lower others anxiety. Unfortunately other than total avoidance (which is limiting) you can’t totally avoid stress.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread and one that’s sorta right up my alley as I’m a recently retired clinical psychologist. But many who’ve replied already know what there is to know about the relationship between stress and performance and when stress becomes debilitating anxiety. I would guess that if you’re a person for whom stress quickly becomes debilitating anxiety you’re not flying planes or boating and with good reason—- despite a lot of self help b.s. there is little you can do to change the dramatic autonomic response some people have when faced with stress. My wife and I have an old 32 foot Grand Banks single screw which has provided loads of fun and challenges. Docking the old girl has now become something we look forward to, even in Maine waters with fast currents and big tidal changes. We always have a stash of celebratory booze on board to commemorate a safe landing. But we remind ourselves often that boating is not rocket science and the consequences of screwing up are “usually” a sting to the pocket book or the ego. All far less severe than what I faced earlier in life. We boat entirely for pleasure.. the beauty and serenity of the environment and the pleasure of mastering a new skill. And the people. A lot of boaters I’m afraid are a bit on the obsessive side which can make any ordinary activity seem very very serious while sucking the joy right out if it.

This is an interesting thread and one that’s sorta right up my alley as I’m a recently retired clinical psychologist. But many who’ve replied already know what there is to know about the relationship between stress and performance and when stress becomes debilitating anxiety. I would guess that if you’re a person for whom stress quickly becomes debilitating anxiety you’re not flying planes or boating and with good reason—- despite a lot of self help b.s. there is little you can do to change the dramatic autonomic response some people have when faced with stress. My wife and I have an old 32 foot Grand Banks single screw which has provided loads of fun and challenges. Docking the old girl has now become something we look forward to, even in Maine waters with fast currents and big tidal changes. We always have a stash of celebratory booze on board to commemorate a safe landing. But we remind ourselves often that boating is not rocket science and the consequences of screwing up are “usually” a sting to the pocket book or the ego. All far less severe than what I faced earlier in life. We boat entirely for pleasure.. the beauty and serenity of the environment and the pleasure of mastering a new skill. And the people. A lot of boaters I’m afraid are a bit on the obsessive side which can make any ordinary activity seem very very serious while sucking the joy right out if it.

Thank you...great post.

I had 2 careers saving and assisting other boaters, sometimes the assists were pretty uneventful and other times...well lets just say I bet most here know how some went.

So I definitely know that boating is mostly fenderbenders and embarrassments.... but occasionally we do see tragic results. I know I am not the only one who has seen that up close and personal.

I would have to say every student I ever had teaching boating was told that it should be fun most of all. They were also told exceeding their limitations or comfort level is where they should stop and ponder what's next before pressing on. That is what I have always meant when discussing that boaters with a given level of experience shouldn't feel much stress unless they exceed their experience level. So when that queasy feeling starts...stop and fix the issue.... not necessarily because boating has become too dangerous...but to get the fun back into it all.

I really think too many boaters jump into serious boating too fast for their experience level and that's why it is stressful. Thankfully GPS fixes learning a lot of navigation and thrusters take the bite out of some docking situations and thankfully many boats are much more reliable to not need to be a mechanic...so stress levels in pleasure boating should be way down from the olden days... but if anything goes wrong with those advantages...sure the average boater is going to increase stress a large amount unless they are prepared for it.

Funny but I am basically out of boating now and travelling by RV. I am at least 20X more stressed (white knuckled) driving my new motorhome through construction zones and tunnels where the lanes seem to converge than I ever was on a boat or USCG helo in horrible weather or worse. :eek::D

Last edited:
Think boredom is always a possibility and the trip should be as engaging as the destination. As said by many there’s a difference between stress and anxiety. A certain amount of periods stress brings the best out of you. Makes you play your best game. At such time that boating becomes Ho hum I’ll probably leave the activity and move on to another experience that causes me to continuously learn and grow.

Although there’s joy in a placid tranquil transit there’s also merit in the more demanding ones. When sitting around with other cruisers bending elbows those are the ones that come up in conversation. Continue to contend stress is a good thing. Makes you grow. Anxiety is the counterproductive emotion. Important to not confuse the two.

There are many here who have experienced stressful situations and offered ways to mitigate impact and offered ways they’ve learned to avoid them. No one poster excels in this activity . Many here in their professional lives have routinely dealt with periodic stressful situations and have learned to not let stress be converted into anxiety. Many here in their boating lives have learned that skill as well. Folks here have gone round the world, been long term live aboards, crossed oceans, done the loop, rebuilt boats as they’ve traveled through areas with little or no outside support. So many opportunities for stress but little response with anxiety. The get her done attitude goes a long way to having fun messing around in boats. People come to that attitude in many different ways. None is better than another as long as you get there.

Back
Top Bottom