Strangers getting on my boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last few posts reminded me that the actor Billy Zane was once photographed on
our last boat for a product advertisement. His publicity manager was a buddy's wife.

The photo crew only broke a few things...

The last few posts reminded me that the actor Billy Zane was once photographed on
our last boat for a product advertisement. His publicity manager was a buddy's wife.

The photo crew only broke a few things...

They have insurance to cover such damage.

I'm one of those "dreamer lookie-lou's". I love walking through marinas and looking at the boats.

That being said I never touch, step on board, or stare through the windows...though I may very well take a picture (research you know). Even after I do purchase my boat (someday) I will still be excited to look at other boats. Just like when my wife and purchased our RV...we love looking at other RV's....looking...not touching or walking in uninvited.

I gotta ask a slightly related question. I used to liveaboard my boat in Treasure Island, San Francisco. Now, San Francisco is a pretty windy place which makes it a sailors-mecca.

How do y'all feel about stepping aboard a neighboring sailboat to secure their halyards that are relentlessly slapping against their mast?

Peter

I gotta ask a slightly related question. I used to liveaboard my boat in Treasure Island, San Francisco. Now, San Francisco is a pretty windy place which makes it a sailors-mecca.

How do y'all feel about stepping aboard a neighboring sailboat to secure their halyards that are relentlessly slapping against their mast?

Peter

Easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Might want to discuss it with the dock master.

We had a rather large sail boat that the rigging whistled when it was the least bit windy and could be heard through out the marina.
Within a few months, the boat left the marina. I do not know if it was the owner's choice or the marina's insistence.

Last edited:
I have no hesitation about securing anyone's slapping halyards. It's standard procedure before dark, rather than at midnight after listening to them slapping for an hour.

I've mentioned it to a few owners in nearby berths. They didn't have a issue with me doing this, and apologised for not doing so themselves.

I've also gone aboard other boats to secure jibs that had come unfurled in high winds; and investigated others that had bilge pumps operating regularly; retied dock lines that had come loose/broken.

Does this mean I have no respect for other's property?

Peter

Discuss first try.....

Warn second and third try.....

Action after all else fails....

Trespassing last resort unless you have that kind of juice where you pretty much get a free hand at a marina.

I have no hesitation about securing anyone's slapping halyards. It's standard procedure before dark, rather than at midnight after listening to them slapping for an hour.

I've mentioned it to a few owners in nearby berths. They didn't have a issue with me doing this, and apologised for not doing so themselves.

I've also gone aboard other boats to secure jibs that had come unfurled in high winds; and investigated others that had bilge pumps operating regularly; retied dock lines that had come loose/broken.

Does this mean I have no respect for other's property?

If you did it at our marina and the owner caught you, it would be a non issue and they would probably ask how your day is going. SoCal folks are generally similar in mindset to Aus.

Discuss first try.....

Warn second and third try.....

Action after all else fails....

Trespassing last resort unless you have that kind of juice where you pretty much get a free hand at a marina.
Worst offenders were boats where owners rarely visited so there was no conversations possible. And yea, it was a non-liveaboard marina where I lived openly and with the blessing of many owners. I was one of a few people who secured furling jibs and re-rigged chafed dock lines.

Personally, I didn't hesitate to secure the halyards. I'm a neighbor and my heart is in the right place. If I ever ruffled a feather, would be a different conversation that would include some expletives about annoying halyards and irresponsible owner. But just wondering the prevailing wisdom.

My brothers are all rag boaters - three of them.

They do an annual cruise from Ireland to the Kyles in Scotland. Once the anchor is down their kids all dive in, splash about and make a racket.

They told me a story about one particular anchorage where they went in on their boats, slapped the anchor down and the kids made sure all mayhem broke loose.

The second evening they were rafted together having drinks after dinner, one "stiff" looking gentleman rowed over from another "yacht" nearby.

"Sirs," he said, "I have no issues whatsoever with your noisy offspring, but I will NOT tolerate your noisy halyards! Please tend to them" Then rowed off!

I say the same thing to lookiloos and LEOs that have wanted to board our boat: I am the captain, and the Admiralty Law of Prima Noctae will be strictly enforced.

I say the same thing to lookiloos and LEOs that have wanted to board our boat: I am the captain, and the Admiralty Law of Prima Noctae will be strictly enforced.

Now that is funny and cool all at the same time.

Wait where you are. We will return with a warrent to tear your boat apart.

Wait where you are. We will return with a warrent to tear your boat apart.
No worries, it is done right and legal. In order to get the warrent you have to have "probable cause" a crime is being commented.

No worries, it is done right and legal. In order to get the warrent you have to have "probable cause" a crime is being commented.

Drugs.
That is the usual reason for USCG to board your boat.
I would never have guts to tell the USCG "not unless you have a warrant."

Conclusions drawn to date.
Anyone without resident moorage may not touch or board another boat.
I agree, in any marina I have been moored permanently the caring for a neighbor boat is an accepted reason for boarding as needed.

Drugs.
That is the usual reason for USCG to board your boat.
I would never have guts to tell the USCG "not unless you have a warrant."
Neither would I. USCG has the right to board any time or place.

LEO such as the local sheriff is different in most cases.

Neither would I. USCG has the right to board any time or place.

LEO such as the local sheriff is different in most cases.

I am not disagreeing with you but remember, it may be faster to let them on board than to be instructed to follow them to the docking facility.

I am not disagreeing with you but remember, it may be faster to let them on board than to be instructed to follow them to the docking facility.
True. It all depends on how you feel about your rights and the extra time.

I have been approached twice by LEOs and asked if they can board to conduct a "safety" check. I informed them that the boat was my residence. I then directed them to the safety inspection sticker on the port window. I was polite. The LEOs in both incidents said thank you and moved on.

Tossing an extra line on a neighbor's boat if needed or a bungee on a slapping halyard is the norm where I live.

My brothers are all rag boaters - three of them.

They do an annual cruise from Ireland to the Kyles in Scotland. Once the anchor is down their kids all dive in, splash about and make a racket.

They told me a story about one particular anchorage where they went in on their boats, slapped the anchor down and the kids made sure all mayhem broke loose.

The second evening they were rafted together having drinks after dinner, one "stiff" looking gentleman rowed over from another "yacht" nearby.

"Sirs," he said, "I have no issues whatsoever with your noisy offspring, but I will NOT tolerate your noisy halyards! Please tend to them" Then rowed off!
Reminds me of a collision on Sydney Harbour between 2 racing sailboats, the skipper of the "not at fault" boat handed the other skipper his copy of the Rules, saying "you might find these of interest".

It can`t be done here but surely a machine gun nest in the cockpit manned(? personned) 24/7 would dissuade potential boarders.

We may need the Legal Eagles to step in here, but my understanding is that any LEO with proper jurisdiction may board without a warrant, or even probably cause.

In some jurisdictions (well, one I know of for sure) they have an internal policy not to. But that doesn't mean they don't have the right.

Maritime law is very different from what you find shoreside. I'd avoid exerting your "rights" too forcefully uness you are very sure of what they are.

USCG have very broad rights to board a vessel. 20 years ago a fisherman on the west coast tried to assert rights otherwise. It didn't go well for him.

We may need the Legal Eagles to step in here, but my understanding is that any LEO with proper jurisdiction may board without a warrant, or even probably cause.

In some jurisdictions (well, one I know of for sure) they have an internal policy not to. But that doesn't mean they don't have the right.

Maritime law is very different from what you find shoreside. I'd avoid exerting your "rights" too forcefully uness you are very sure of what they are.

I will always stand up for my right to Prima Noctae with LEOs, especially the cute ones. They are welcome to board and search me all they want, but they need to reciprocate.

Sounds like it's time for a sign, an alarm, and video. Of course... you can only keep the honest (and clueless) people honest.

I have had folks ask if they could take a picture of the boat. Sometimes I ask if they want the pic with them on the bow. The smiles were great. I ask them to take their shoes off. Happy kids and I am happy they ask.

I have had folks ask if they could take a picture of the boat. Sometimes I ask if they want the pic with them on the bow. The smiles were great. I ask them to take their shoes off. Happy kids and I am happy they ask.

:thumb::thumb:
I had 4 young ladies standing at the bow of my boat trying to figure out how to get all 4 in the shot showing the most boat. LOL (an impossible task w/o a tripod) I asked if they wanted to come aboard, stand at the bow and I would get off the boat and take their picture on the boat for them. I made their day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom