Storing & sorting loose screws, washers & nuts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I'm sure almost all of us have collections of loose stainless screws, washers and nuts. Right now I keep them sorted in 4 plastic peanut butter jars (machine screws, sheet metal screws, nuts & washers) in a bucket. Works ok, but whenever I need something from the bucket, I end up pouring out the jar and sorting through the pile looking for the size, length, etc. I need. I make a note of what needs replacing and restock later on.

Works okay, but I spend too much time pawing through the jars. I see these tackle bags that hold Plano plastic boxes (w/dividers) and I know the Plano boxes would work great for sorting screws, etc.

But I'm not sure a tackle bag is sturdy enough to hold a big mess of stainless and it would really, really suck if the bag broke and hardware went everywhere.

Wondering if anyone on TF has a good suggestion?

Greetings,
Mr. FB. Ah yes. The old what jar is that 1/4-20 X 2" bolt in routine. The problem I've found with a lot of the boxes with movable dividers is the dividers do not stay put. They lift up in their grooves and fitments get stuck underneath then the lids don't close. The boxes, for the most part, are robust enough to hold "stuff" but the dad-gummed dividers just won't stay where they're supposed to.

That being said, I've recently had very good luck with a variety of boxes from Home Depot. Come in several configurations and some even lock together. HDX brand.

I use the plano boxes, they work pretty well. I have four smaller ones, so they don't get as heavy. One has screws and washers, one bolts and nuts, one electrical terminals and one is just random little stuff that seems to find its way onto the boat. I hate to throw it out, but don't know what to do with it. I sort the screws and bolts by size, roughly.

The tackle bags are really heavy duty, I use one for my fishing tackle on the big boat. I have a tray of lead weights in there in addition to the other tackle. It weighs probably 15 or 20 lbs and has held up well.

I use Stanley storage boxes. The box comes with a bunch of small boxes inside that you can lift out for use. They don’t have the moveable dividers. I have a box for 1. Sheet metal screws 2. Electrical connectors 3. Nuts and bolts 4. Large electrical connectors X2. 5. Snaps X2. They hold a lot of weight without opening, probably over 30 pounds in the nuts and bolts box. I can sort the items by size and type.

Attachments

• 9EEB8AD6-208A-4EFC-A79B-7CE2E4086537.jpg
    9EEB8AD6-208A-4EFC-A79B-7CE2E4086537.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 52
The box in the photo is an extra that I bought in order to get more small boxes. They come with a larger box and small boxes so I took all the small boxes and use them and leave the larger boxes in this spare.

Harbor Freight Tools has lots of different sized boxes with removable dividers. The Stanley boxes are also very good.

I have four of these boxes with various sizes of removable bins similar to Comodave. I try to keep similar-type/size parts in each bin (they started out perfectly sorted, of course).

What I have found INVALUABLE is a sorting tray with a funnel at the corner. Just dump the appropriate bin in the tray, find what you want, and funnel the rest right back in the bin. Major time and frustration saver!

https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-37081-Easy-Sorter-Funnel/dp/B001DSY5P4

Attachments

• 0018001.jpeg
    0018001.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 253
  • 314v2GZeiOL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    314v2GZeiOL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 58
The Stanley boxes have worked well for me, with internal bins that make life much easier.

Now for some unsolicited advice: no matter what they're made of, throw all those old slotted screws into the recycling!

Every slotted screw I find gets thrown out...

Greetings,
Mr. JRM. Unfortunately, Robertson's are almost unknown south of the border so users are stuck with that Phillips garbage. IF I have suitable replacements (Robbies) for any screws I remove, I toss BOTH the slots AND the Phillips.

Only one place I've found, so far, in Ft. Lauderdale that has Robbies (in limited quantities) is BOW (Boat Owner's Warehouse). I can order them through Fastenal but they call them square socket screws. So sad.

I keep tupperware containers segregated as follows: Nuts, washers, machine screws and wood screws. So like about four containers.

The magic part is a stainless steel dog water bowl that stays empty nearby. When I need something I slowly shake the bits from tupperware into the dog bowl and watch for what I need. Once I find it I pour the dog bowl back into the tupperware. Easy peasy and no digging around.

I've learned to hate those divided bins. Knock one over and you have a mess. And the plastic ages and breaks, again a mess.

I do need to organize my electrical ends as now I have a box full of random ends and am sick of pawing through that.

Found that cottage cheese containers make good storage bins. Been quite durable, even the lids, and don't cost much more than store bought bins. And you get to eat the cheese!! I label whats in it with blue tape and sharpie on the lid.

Any tray with a rim works. Just dump them on find what you want then dump back in the box from a corner.
Heck even cardboard or plastic signs can be folded to funnel screws back into the box. No need to buy and store extra stuff

Greetings,
Mr. Ski. "Knock one over and you have a mess." HAH! Why do I know EXACTLY what you mean? Given the alternative in MY case, I am willing to take the chance the alternative being many small containers. Oh, I still do, on occasion, have to do a floor/deck clean-up and re-sort but...

In my home shop I have many thousands of fasteners of all different shapes, sizes and materials in 8+ small drawers that I have to paw through and maybe one of these years I'll get around to sorting the stuff out but don't hold your breath. On board it's much easier due to the limited selection (98% SS) needed so the divided bins work for me.

Years ago, I bought some real nicer metal trays and subdivided then with the supplied thingies.
Paper label identified the size, inside size and length.
Of course, I do have the plastic peanut butter jar containing those screws that need to be resorted. My peanut butter jar got full so I used a larger jar. LOL
Per spillage, remember to snap the enclosure shut. HINT

On the subject of spilled screws, I keep a magnet on a stick in my garage. I use it more often than I care to admit. I kept a magnet on a string on Possum to retrieve stuff from the bilge.

Attachments

• 60477CE4-1FEB-47ED-868A-A3E7234B9BD9.jpeg
    60477CE4-1FEB-47ED-868A-A3E7234B9BD9.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 47
On the subject of spilled screws, I keep a magnet on a stick in my garage. I use it more often than I care to admit. I kept a magnet on a string on Possum to retrieve stuff from the bilge.

Alas, all the screws on the boat must be stainless steel so the magnet wont be much help at all. Now, if someone could come up with a small magnet to retrieve SS screws and nuts and bolts, he'd be a very wealthy man.
For tools etc, oh yea baby, a magnet can be very useful.
What is really nice about the AT, the bilges are shallow so everything can be retrieved by hand.
I think the folks at AT actually thought about providing space for normal maintenance except for pulling the engine block. That will take a saw-saw to connect the 2 existing access deck openings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom