Starlink Bypass Mode for 3rd Party Router (e.g. Pepwave)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I simply connected my cradlepoint router to my starlink using the ethernet cable.

No bypass mode.

Yes I have a double NAT happening, but I have not seen where this is a problem in real life.

My boats systems all work just fine. I have a smartthings hub, the Victron Cerbo, Arlo cameras, and the Apple TV.

My computer, iphone, and ipad all connect wirelessly, and I have not noted any performance differences between connecting to my boats LAN, or the starlink LAN.

The advantage is that I get automatic switching between internet sources for my boats monitoring systems, while retaining the ability to connect directly to the starlink as desired.

Last edited:
Pretty straightforward. In App, go to "Settings." Scroll down to "Bypass Mode." Will give a warning that once you do it, you cannot undo it without a hard reset, which will require renaming the generic network and password, which I did without affecting names on connected devices.

Only downside of Bypass Mode I can see is the SL wifi disappears so if for some reason my main router is out, I'd need to reset SL router which requires physical intervention - cannot be done remotely (must powe-cycle the SL router 6+ times in rapid succession).

Peter

If anyone is messing with this and wants to measure power consumption using a Killawatt or similar device, I'd be very interested in what power savings, if any, comes from bypass mode. That's the only thing that would motivate me to change anything. Also if for some reason it fixed the RJ45 lockup problem. I might experiment with power savings when I'm there next.

Their web/email-based support is NOT top-tier. That's just an indisputable fact. But having top-tier support with phone banks for an internet access product sold virtually worldwide would require an ungodly number of people and likely raise the costs to the end user significantly....

Having world wide support is expensive but our local Internet providers, be it a phone, cell, or cable company, have ALL had HORRIBLE service. Absolutely horrible. Some with NO service.

Knock on wood but we have not had to have service from Starlink and I think we are in year two of the subscription. Can't say that for ANY of the other service providers, and their "service" was a nightmare. Given the complaints I have seen about the phone company that used to provide us with internet "service" they have nationwide issues.

Later,
Dan

Having world wide support is expensive but our local Internet providers, be it a phone, cell, or cable company, have ALL had HORRIBLE service. Absolutely horrible. Some with NO service.

Knock on wood but we have not had to have service from Starlink and I think we are in year two of the subscription. Can't say that for ANY of the other service providers, and their "service" was a nightmare. Given the complaints I have seen about the phone company that used to provide us with internet "service" they have nationwide issues.

Later,
Dan

Agreed. I should have specified that given the competition, even their simple email support stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I still.think it could be better - but isn't that the case for a lot of things?

Agreed. I should have specified that given the competition, even their simple email support stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I still.think it could be better - but isn't that the case for a lot of things?

Yep, the real problem is that service for Internet providers is pretty danged bad. Our so called service with the phone and cable based Internet providers was just flat out horrible. We would have to daily, or at least weakly, reboot the routers. Constant outages as well. The phone based internet provider has nation wide quality and service problems. The problem is/was not the service people, they were doing the best they could, but the management of the company did not want to support residential users, and thus did not provide adequate funds. Horrible company.

For our phone based Internet, I would guess we had at least a dozen service calls in the first year. We were also only getting, and only ever got 1.5 mbps, even though the company improved the network all around us but would not upgrade my areas network in spite of taking hundreds of millions of tax dollars to improve the network.:mad:

Starlink is so superior in every way. The other providers don't even come close.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom