South Pacific Mayday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just received this:

As of 18:36 UTC, June 16, 2023 the Tanker BAKER SPIRIT is 51.7 NM from the last PLB ping on a course of 4 degrees at a speed of 12 kn… with this course and speed BAKER SPIRIT should close the area of the PLB position in about 3 hours…

Attachments

• E18B6C3B-66CD-47BB-9F8B-4A86031DCE16.jpeg
    E18B6C3B-66CD-47BB-9F8B-4A86031DCE16.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 37
Greetings,

THREAD DRIFT:

Our new (to us) Glacier Bay catamaran came with an EPIRB mounted on the forward cockpit bulkhead just off the floor. It is out of date and we plan on having it brought up to spec and registered with our own information before we venture out of the ICW.

A comment in Mr. DD's post (#120) regarding "butt dialing". How do they occur? Is there anything I can do to minimize/eliminate such an accident? I thought it would be a good thing to have on board. Now I'm a bit worried I may cause unnecessary use of scant USCG resources due to my ignorance.

Thanks and back to the paddler in the south Pacific.

A comment in Mr. DD's post (#120) regarding "butt dialing". How do they occur? Is there anything I can do to minimize/eliminate such an accident?

In my case, I gave an older EPIRB to a needy boater, admonishing him to register it (and have the battery replaced as it was out of date). I de-registered it to me. 3 years later I get a call from the coast guard, saying they have an EPIRB, location corresponds to a land fill. They want to know if it is real. The lesson is don't give away an old one, destroy it.

But while the CG is on the phone, I ask what the false alarm rate is, and he says >95%. This is why they call the last known contact info when they see one, and can result in a delay for SAR dispatch unless they reach someone who says yes, boat is out in that area, so probably real.

Another incident, a friend had scheduled the yard to launch his boat, with specific instructions to wait until he arrived with the speed thru hull sensor. They launched it while he was still on the plane. Boat began to sink. EBIRB laying on sole got wet and went off, the CG could not reach him but were able to reach a backup contact. Backup contact realized what must have happened and called the yard, who lifted the boat with only about 3' of water inside. In that case not life or death but did probably save the boat.

With an EBIRB you pull the trigger and that initiates an expensive and possibly dangerous SAR. There is no way to un-pull the trigger. Turning it off only compounds the problem. Win again for the sat com device, which can message SAR to stand down as solutions have been found. This makes it a little more likely that you will pull the trigger early with more chance of successful SAR, knowing that you can modify the situation as conditions change.

Really the only downside of the sat com device is there is a monthly subscription, not needed for an EBIRB/PLB.

Greetings,

THREAD DRIFT:

A comment in Mr. DD's post (#120) regarding "butt dialing". How do they occur? Is there anything I can do to minimize/eliminate such an accident? I thought it would be a good thing to have on board. Now I'm a bit worried I may cause unnecessary use of scant USCG resources due to my ignorance.

Have you not been watching TV lately where they are putting the phone in the back ass pocket. What used to be a pocket dial is now..........

News flash.

Aaron is aboard Baker Spirit. Pulled from his life raft, row boat not seen. He is bound for Hawaii. In good health.

Greetings,
Mr. SK. Sorry. My question should have been "How does one "butt dial" an EPERB?

They are or should be mounted in an area that minimized accidental activation (butt dialed) I would think. Never having owned an EPIRB and having "inherited" an EPIRB already in it's location, I'm concerned that it may be prone to false alarms living where it does.

Thanks.

Edit: Just saw the news! Hurrah for the Baker Spirit!

Excellent news. Aaron has a story to tell, movie rights and maybe a book.
Now we can get the whole story. He had a life raft or was it dropped with supplies, abandon ship, er rowboat.

Wow, that is outstanding news.

That is fantastic. I was inclined to be very pessimistic and thought he was a goner. I guess the boat's name wasn't ironic after all. Great news, thanks for letting us know.

Greetings,

THREAD DRIFT:

Our new (to us) Glacier Bay catamaran came with an EPIRB mounted on the forward cockpit bulkhead just off the floor. It is out of date and we plan on having it brought up to spec and registered with our own information before we venture out of the ICW.

It might have something to do with aspects of DDW`s butt.

This story has gotten a lot of news. I hope adventurer folks will make this a learning moment and have both primary and secondary location devises on board. I have two epirbs ,ais and both life jackets have plbs and we dont even go on open water.

While there still are many unintentional EPIRB/PLB/ELT alerts.... many from the devices falling out of their releases, tossed in a travel bag, etc.....

There was a HUGE reduction of false rescue unit dispatches with the advent of 406mhz/GPS units. I can't say that is true today compared to when I was active, but with technology improvements, I would have to say that today it's a problem with boaters versus equipment. User error is rampant with everything more complicated than a fork anymore.

The ability to pinpoint a location quickly and check the registration info reduced SAR dispatches from like 95% false alarm to 95% success. Unfortunately lack of registration, malicious activation, kids playing, and on and on all still need investigation. But make no mistake, there is only a slight delay till crews dispatch even on unverified activations so using a beacon is not a "gamble" anyone will come if yours is legit.

A very high percentage of the time, if you had a good enough reason to turn a beacon on, the rescue units want to get to on scene and determine your situation. Most often...you could still need help then or in the future so they often air drop things to ensure your survival. There are few times that stopping a SAR dispatch is necessary for many reasons.

Let the pros decide what "dangerous" missions are. Don't worry too much, quite a few won't risk anything unless they REALLY know you are in danger.

I am not saying having voice or message comms is a bad thing...in fact it is great...but there is a highly successful system built around equipment that is specifically designed and regulated for rescue. From your beacon to being safely found and taken home by specialized equipment or whatever can help.

Thinking anything but a certified EPIRB/ELT/PLB is OK is like having one tool in any toolbox. Those thinking alternate forms of sending a distress and redundancy have it right...totally understanding rescue from a boater's departure from the dock to the moment the rescue system drops them off at a safe destination is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
This story has gotten a lot of news. I hope adventurer folks will make this a learning moment...

Yes. They'll learn that a good way to get into the news, and to get clicks, fame and fortune, is to set off unprepared on a dangerous adventure.

They're more likely to load up on GoPro devices than emergency equipment.

I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong in this particular case. I don't know all the details. But I do know what many others seeing this will think.

So glad to hear the good news. Excellent.

I clearly stated coastal v blue water isn’t the way to determine what equipment is appropriate. Rather remoteness, range, efficacy, reliability of nearby SAR services and vulnerability are more germane. Simple example doing coastal in high lat settings.

Will point out the number of times in recent times I’ve heard the CG ask the boater in distress to switch to the cellphone. Just wanted readers to be rational and outfit as is appropriate to their use pattern. Still think every vessel should have a mechanism to call for help independent of vhf and cellphone. I fly fish striper off a Hobie kayak. I carry a PLB along with a cellphone and vhf for that activity. Do what’s appropriate.

Upon notification, an Air Station Barbers Point HC-130 Hercules aircrew, in Tahiti assisting with a separate search and rescue mission,

A dirty rotten job, but someone had to go...:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom