Solar Installation on 37 Pilot House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, very slick. I have seen them in 3 other channels as well. Good sign, I suppose.

Is 0.38% per degree C good or bad when it comes to the impact of temperature on panel output?

Yes, very slick. I have seen them in 3 other channels as well. Good sign, I suppose.

Is 0.38% per degree C good or bad when it comes to the impact of temperature on panel output?
Each brand has a spec sheet for comparison. Another point to be wary of (wire size) is that they perform better in colder temps. The spec sheet will give you an average temperature for reference, but thet will underperform or over perform based on temperature.

I am okay with the output hit at higher temperatures, but less okay with providing birds and spiders the additional haven aboard. Anyone have good or bad experiences with raised panels that would provide such a haven?

I am okay with the output hit at higher temperatures, but less okay with providing birds and spiders the additional haven aboard. Anyone have good or bad experiences with raised panels that would provide such a haven?
My panels are mounted about 3-4" above my pilothouse roof. I've not had issues with bird nests underneath. However, I'm in a different geographic area.

My panels sit about 2" off the cabintop. No issues with birds or anything. I apply spider spray under there periodically and that's been enough to keep spiders to a minimum.

Perhaps I am overreacting. We have barn swallows here in western Lake Erie and they build mud houses anywhere. They have tried to build them in the corners of our cockpit under the roof overhang. They live under the bow pulpit of our neighbor's boat. Spiders are even more pervasive, though they prefer gaps smaller than inches and spider spray is effective.

The BougeRV panels are attractive in part because they mount to the surface with no gap at all. It's a compromise, of course.

Perhaps I am overreacting. We have barn swallows here in western Lake Erie and they build mud houses anywhere. They have tried to build them in the corners of our cockpit under the roof overhang. They live under the bow pulpit of our neighbor's boat. Spiders are even more pervasive, though they prefer gaps smaller than inches and spider spray is effective.

The BougeRV panels are attractive in part because they mount to the surface with no gap at all. It's a compromise, of course.
Might sound ridiculous, but I have found that rubber snakes work-probably the only deterrent that would fit under the panel. Seagulls were using my upper deck as a dining table. I put a black rubber snake and a coral snake on the deck and the problem was solved. I wouldn't think a coral snake would work in the PNW, but I saw a seagull start to land and then radically veer off when it spotted the snake.

We have a rubber snake and felt the helped for the first week, but it turned out to have no impact on the swallows. Fishing line strung above deck rails really works, but only to keep birds off the rails.

Back
Top Bottom