SmartPlug 30 AMP locking/sealing ring for dock side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORIF

Vessel Name
TAMI II
Vessel Make
Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
I just upgraded my 30 amp shorepower to Smartplugs and one of their cords.

The cord does not come with a locking/sealing ring on the dock side male end.

Can someone tell me if a Marinco 30 amp sealing ring will fit my Smartplug cord?

I would assume it would but take nothing for granted after wrestling for an hour trying to get a Marinco 30 amp sealing ring onto the male dockside plug of their 30 Amp EEL cord - only to learn later that you have to use a 50 amp sealing ring for a 30 amp EEL cord. Duh.

I don't ever recall encountering a sealing ring (the plastic screw-on type that is found on the Marinco boat end?) on the shore power end. At least out here on the left coast, they are twist/lock only.

But I've always thought "why don't they do that for the shore end"? So many times when visiting other marinas and plugging into their pedestals the twist connection seemed rather loose and not entirely confidence inspiring...

You are smarter than I am. I just bought a 25' Dual 30 AMP SmartPlug cord and a Marinco 50 Amp 240V to 120V 30 Amp adapter. The SmartPlug 30 Amp cord plugs into the Marinco adapter just fine. However, the locking ring slips over the SmartPlug cord very easily and when tightened, does not support the SmartPlug cord at all. I called SmartPlug and they agreed that the Marinco locking ring does not work with their SmartPlug cord.
I will keep both items as my slip only has 50 Amp sockets. I will see if I can come up with a fix to make it work.

I did come up with a fix. Please see solution in Helmsman Hacks Post #229.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom