SeaPipers - Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll say this one more time but that's it, volume is not mass. The displacement of a floating object is exactly the weight of the water displaced by the immersed portion of the object, regardless of shape or volume. When we refer to the volume of a hull it's not just the immersed portion it's the entire hull.
The Seapiper website states a dry weight of 13500 pounds and it's irrelevant to all but the half a dozen people that can afford a truck to tow the thing after spending all day pumping the fuel, oil and water out along with unloading every other item on the boat.

The relationship between the volume of water and its weight is fixed here on Earth. So the "exactly the weight of the water displaced...regardless of the volume" is simply wrong. Tell me the volume and I'll tell you the weight. Also, when you add draft it is generally defined to be below the waterline and therefore immersed.

Seapiper lists the dry weight in two places, 13,500 on the website spec and 12,500 on their brochure. I'd suspect both are optimistic. Nevertheless, I already own the truck and about 1/2 million of these trucks are sold each year, so I think more than a half dozen other people might as well. (In any case a used one could be bought for <5% of the boat purchase price, or hired when needed.) I would plan my refueling and water to be nearly empty when I trailered and would not unload anything else. If the weight of the oil made a difference then yeah, you probably do need a bigger truck. Getting it ready for the trailer would be a one hour exercise.

I guess those saying the Seapiper can't be trailered have never seen a large 5th wheel RV. They are 45' long and 20,000 lbs. 75 year olds drive them all over the country, with pickup trucks bought off the lot.

The relationship between the volume of water and its weight is fixed here on Earth. So the "exactly the weight of the water displaced...regardless of the volume" is simply wrong. Tell me the volume and I'll tell you the weight. ...

Also need to know the type of water.

The relationship between the volume of water and its weight is fixed here on Earth. So the "exactly the weight of the water displaced...regardless of the volume" is simply wrong. Tell me the volume and I'll tell you the weight. Also, when you add draft it is generally defined to be below the waterline and therefore immersed.

Seapiper lists the dry weight in two places, 13,500 on the website spec and 12,500 on their brochure. I'd suspect both are optimistic. Nevertheless, I already own the truck and about 1/2 million of these trucks are sold each year, so I think more than a half dozen other people might as well. (In any case a used one could be bought for <5% of the boat purchase price, or hired when needed.) I would plan my refueling and water to be nearly empty when I trailered and would not unload anything else. If the weight of the oil made a difference then yeah, you probably do need a bigger truck. Getting it ready for the trailer would be a one hour exercise.

I guess those saying the Seapiper can't be trailered have never seen a large 5th wheel RV. They are 45' long and 20,000 lbs. 75 year olds drive them all over the country, with pickup trucks bought off the lot.

I believe the removal of all liquids and other unattached items was more of my point in response to your previous trailering comment regardless of which I retain my contention that trailering is silly. That of course is a personal choice and if you chose to go that way wonderful, the climate thanks you. You also don't seem to have read the entirety of my comment, probably because you'd rather win a pissing contest than read. I pointed out that the volume of a hull is not just the immersed portion, but hey you probably didn't go to the same school as I did.

Also need to know the type of water.
But, not a lot of difference between fresh and salt (3%).

On the removal of items, if I've burned most of the fuel and used most of the water, I'm done. If you are the type of owner who has loose chairs, coffee tables, table lamps, and coffee machines sitting all over the place you have more work to do. I keep my trawler as I keep my sailboat, 45 deg of heel will not cause anything to move dangerously, so trailering is a walk in the park.

Last edited:
Why Seapiper 35?

I have Hull No. 10 on order. It is now being built somewhere south of the Gobi Desert. The designer/builder Ritzo Mutinga seems a very savvy and admirable young man.

As for criticisms of the boat, including the center cockpit design, I echo the comments to the effect of "depends on what you will use it for." It's styled a passagemaker, but probably not many will use it for that. There is an intrepid 83 year old in FL named Herman who has prepped Hull No. 5 out for blue water cruising. See mvkiwi.com. He has added a cover for the center cockpit, and Ritzo has just announced its availability from the "factory." I won't get it. I like the idea of being able to accommodate six friends "outside" and also the additional privacy afforded by the separation between the capt's quarters and the second bunk -- which is created by stepping down the dining table in the pilot house.

I happen to have a mooring in one of the prettiest anchorages in Massachusetts -- Plum Island Sound. I will do day cruises and also live aboard for a few days at a time. I am also thinking about trucking her up to the Erie Canal and the Finger Lakes. She is narrower than the purpose built "Lockmasters," so should be perfect for that duty. Cheers.

My wife loves this boat. And I like it too. We like the center cockpit to keep my wife and grandkids safe. The separate bunk and capt's house are pretty cool, too. Ritzo, the designer/builder, has done a lot to keep cost down. Still, $200K is a lot. There are a lot of used boats for that price that are quite nice and huge comparatively.

We'll keep an eye out for a used one.

Fuel sipping, huge range, shallow draft, no *bling* and a box keel with protected prop so you can let it dry when and where you want. Affordable as well.

Some people love to spend time aboard in sumptuous luxury...other people might see their boat as a means to get somewhere, then get off the boat to do stuff in otherwise inaccessible coastal areas...a base camp to further adventure.

Oh, and trailerable, which is a huge plus for expanding your cruising range!

yeah. what he said.

Agree re $200K being a lot for a boat! It is just about what I paid for my first house! I would have gone used but there are only a few of them out there!

Back
Top Bottom