Scratches on swim platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't argue with your logic. Seems sound to me.

Is suggest hopping on Hull Truth or anywhere else you see a thread about it, even a dead one, and asking about single coat coverage.

The two things I wonder about are...

1) whether, if the gel is heavily diluted, it'll still be able to provide good enough 1-coar coverage, and

2) whether it kicks as quickly as a normal gel mix, allowing multiple coats quickly after each other, or if each coat requires more time.

But, again, I'm just wondering. I've never used it.

I look forward to your full report, whatever you use! Can't wait for the pics!
I have tried twice to apply gelcoat. It has to be a weekend with warm good weather while I also have time, so the timing is important.

The first time I used the paste form gelcoat in the Evercoat repair kit. I thought the paste could be thinned like kids watercolor paint which I could apply using a brush to have a smooth layer, but as it turned out, the gelcoat paste remained to be a paste even after being thinned a lot. When brushed on, it looked rough. I had to sand it down later. One thing to note was the white tint tube in that kit was less than 1/5 of its capacity. The brushed paste was not runny.

IMG20240921184612.jpg

IMG20240921202307.jpg

The second time, I ordered Totalboat laminate white gelcoat, added some black tint from the Evercoat repair kit, 10% styrene, and applied using a preval sprayer. It sprayed easily, but the tint did not fully mix with the gelcoat even though I mixed a long time. The tint clumps were sprayed out and ruined the efforts. So I wiped it clean with a lot of acetone.

The sprayed gelcoat was runny and flowing. Is this expected?

IMG_20241020_195637.jpg

I will try again next time. Does the Evercoat tint not mix well with Totalboat gelcoat? Or did I miss anything?

IMG20241020194456.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom