Russian Trawler Update #6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AD - that’s a good and interesting picture of your boat when she was a working trawler. The high bow and anchor arrangement are going to be great for you in your future travels. If you find that she rolls a little more than you are happy with in a pleasure vessel, then I guess you could add flopper stoppers - nice high steel wheelhouse to which to attach them……

Blue - the guys at the yard recommended rolling chocks. Said it is no problem to add them when they do the bottom. It had some before, but they were removed at some point (weld lines still visible). Also plan to extend the keel a bit. They said that is something they've done on SSPs before.

Only problem with flopper stoppers or vanes is the canals. Air draft is a concern as it limits where I can go.

Ahoy again TAD - adding/replacing hard chines sounds sensible. Extending the keel - presumably with internal ballast - could either improve or worsen the motion. Doubtless you have folks in the yard or elsewhere who can do the calculations and estimations. Canals and air draft - if you ever do consider flopper stoppers, I wonder if they could be either articulated (hinged) or laid down along the decks when necessary? And now I’ll leave you in peace as I have to go and work on my old boat……..

If we are voting, I vote for rolling chocks.
No maintenance and dont need to brave the weather to deploy and retrieve them.

"Only problem with flopper stoppers or vanes is the canals. Air draft is a concern as it limits where I can go."

Borrow a set and simply tie them off on the rail.

Not as effective as out on long poles but may work well enough to be worth the effort.

Is there a difference or what is the difference between bilge keels and rolling chocks .I like the idea of drying the boat out on the tide

Last edited:
AtomicDog, 'refreshing the hull'? Replacing what percentage of the hull plates?

I find this very interesting. I'm curious as to how this work will proceed will you cut out one section at a time and replace it or will one whole side be removed and then replace

I find this very interesting. I'm curious as to how this work will proceed will you cut out one section at a time and replace it or will one whole side be removed and then replace

Here is a video of a boat undergoing the process. Skip to about the ten minute mark. The yard I am in is a bit nicer, but the process is the same, more or less:

You are all "in" when you have this done.

Did they shorten the boat or just put on a new stern?
You are having a bigger house constructed for the aft end??
Once they got the plates welded in place, I hope you are painting the inside with a couple of coats of good paint. You dont want to come back went it is all back together and try to paint. LOL

Wow, all that work you did with the ballasting, cleaning and painting is all going to be undone, but when you finish, she'll be ready for another 40 years of service!

Wow, all that work you did with the ballasting, cleaning and painting is all going to be undone, but when you finish, she'll be ready for another 40 years of service!

Yeah, that part is a real kick in the gibblies. But we learnt a lot during that time and have some stories to tell. Trying to paint steel with epoxy at -23C is an adventure :)

I want to replace the ballast with something more consistent anyway. Preferably something I can run cables through to secure it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom