Retro Cape Island 21 Novi Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarge

Vessel Name
Tobbie III
Vessel Make
Retro Cape Island 21
Just bought and trailered subject 500 miles back to Chesapeake area from Rhode Island. Well equipped with auto pilot, radar... Went for a 3 hour shakedown on Lake Anna, VA and the check engine light on the Suzuki 70 HP only lit for the last 1/2 hour. hihi.

Well, we have to have a little bit of excitement even on a placid inland lake, yes? I was in the Coast Guard and spent 3 years aboard 378s and 1 full year walking on the overheads in the Bering chasing after Deadliest Catch folk who valued $ more than their lives.

Useter own a splendid 24-foot, all wood (1940) open sail boat and a few others, power and sail, some fondly remembered, some... not. I contacted the Cape Island builder after used boat purchase and was relieved, yes, they said it, "All the stringers are fiberglass, no wood." Phew. Well, I did spend about a 1/2 hour doing tippy/tappy on the hull with a rubber mallet and she sounded good.

A modest, slow, beamy/comfortable seakeeper is the only kind of boat I want to own and I like the buzz on this forum. I already had enough excitement 40+ years ago, and of course, "What could possibly go wrong?" Hope to learn much from the others on this site and follow your wakes to avoid mistakes.

Attachments

• Retro.jpg
    Retro.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 203
A neighbor across our creek has the same boat. She added an aft steering station for trot line crabbing on the Chesapeake. This season she added a trot line dipper to the rig to up her crabbing game. When not crabbing she cruises the Chesapeake and beyond. Enjoy!

That's really nice to hear. After a bit of engine TLC I hope to cross over to Tighlman's sometime. Thank You!

Sarge, I sent you a private message. Also curious, what type of trailer did you have for your 500 mile trip? I might need to buy one… I like the simple single axel design of yours. David James, Fredericksburg Va

Back
Top Bottom