Replacing Xantrex with Magnum Issues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
So needed to replace Xantrex 1800 watt inverter due to flickering output. Only 2 years old...what a POS.

So the Xantrex had an internal transfer switch while the new Magnum 2000 requires an external transfer switch. Fine. Wire up the new Magnum inverter and transfer switch and it blows the inverter GFCI on the inverter immediately when in I turn off the shore power. Old inverter also had a GFCI and had no problems. New Inverter output is fine without transfer switch.

And by many opinions, many multi-meter readings, wiring diagram re-checkings, including Magnums tech help, it seems to the only answer is the transfer switch.

But when I asked Magnum Tech help how many transfer switches he has seen fail out of the box, he said none. Hmmm...lucky me or I perhaps it is something else that is alluding us?

Just thought there may be another experience that may offer a different explanation whilst waiting for the warranty replacement.

As always. Thanks in advance.

Most transfer switches just switch the hot and neutral and do nothing with the ground. You need one that switches the ground, and your inverter needs to be properly grounded.

David

Most transfer switches just switch the hot and neutral and do nothing with the ground. You need one that switches the ground, and your inverter needs to be properly grounded.

David

Thank you. Inverter ground (small wire on case) goes to battery ground (battery inputs). Might that be what you are referring to as improperly grounded? Same grounding as prior inverter...

Not necessarily the battery ground. You need a heavy, 10 ga minimum ground to the boat’s ground system, usually to the battery negative, but also to the engine block and thruhulls.

David

Thank you. Inverter ground (small wire on case) goes to battery ground (battery inputs). Might that be what you are referring to as improperly grounded? Same grounding as prior inverter...

The shore power line to the inverter and back to the panel needs to maintain the ground. This is different from the batteries being tied to the boat bonding system. You can't tie the AC ground to the boat's bonding system.

When diagnosing a problem, it's helpful to maintain proper nomenclature.

DC wiring is positive and negative.

AC wiring is hot, neutral, and ground.

The boat's system for tying items to an external anode is a bonding system.

Ted

Not necessarily the battery ground. You need a heavy, 10 ga minimum ground to the boat’s ground system, usually to the battery negative, but also to the engine block and thruhulls.

David

Thank you. So the green case ground wire is going to battery (negative) ground. As it did before with the semi-functioning Xantrex. Why would that same configuration now not work...?

So I need to run a ground to engine block also. Hopefully that works.

The shore power line to the inverter and back to the panel needs to maintain the ground. This is different from the batteries being tied to the boat bonding system. You can't tie the AC ground to the boat's bonding system.

When diagnosing a problem, it's helpful to maintain proper nomenclature.

DC wiring is positive and negative.

AC wiring is hot, neutral, and ground.

The boat's system for tying items to an external anode is a bonding system.

Ted

Yup. We electrical newbs do mix our nomenclature. Thanks for the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom