Reinstating master license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johns12

I have been inquiring about the process to reinstate my USCG 100 ton master license that has been expired for 20 years… the coast guard has supplied information but it is vague at best.. this approach is different than renewal and curious if anyone has done this..

I have been inquiring about the process to reinstate my USCG 100 ton master license that has been expired for 20 years… the coast guard has supplied information but it is vague at best.. this approach is different than renewal and curious if anyone has done this..
A friend tried. No-go. Start from scratch which he did.

Lemme know if you discover differently. My ticket too is expired, though I have no plans to use it so won't go through the process to re-aquire.

Good luck.

Peter

Figuring that could be the case, but from the information from the Coast Guard (see below) I may try to pursue Thanks

All Officer and Onalified Ratings Except Tankerman
Evidence of a previously held credential will be used to meet the original service requirement.
Recency is NOT required.
Reference:
46 CFR

Figuring that could be the case, but from the information from the Coast Guard (see below) I may try to pursue Thanks

Evidence of a previously held credential will be used to meet the original service requirement.

Recency is NOT required.

Reference:

46 CFR

Guessing that's for sea time, not the ticket itself. If I remember correctly, the 100T ticket requires recent sea time within a certain tonnage range. So while your expired credentials and supporting sea time may be counted for the new one, you may still have to demonstrate recent sea time depending on the tonnage classification. At least that was my understanding

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:

Recency is NOT required.
Reference:
46 CFR

That section only applies to sea service requirements.

Best go to the USCGNAVCEN site to see more or call them.

Last I heard after 1 year expired, you basically start all over again but they should have recorded sea service saved.

Last edited:
All your old seatime should apply and the CG should have records if you don't. You still need recency which is 90 days service in the past 3 years. To get the new ticket you could take an approved prep course (which I used to teach), get their certificate and apply. That's usually around $800-1000. If you feel confident and lucky, apply and specify that you want to take the exams at a CG exam center. That's what I did and I passed on the first try but I'm told that's pretty rare. The are several books out there to help study, back when I first applied I used Charlie Wing's "Get your Captain's License" book. It was quite helpful. With all that you also need a current drug test (within 6 months) and a physical (1 year). First applications also need a First Aid / CPR card and TWIC card but I don't know if your previous credential affects that. They are not needed for renewal.

I had 2 instances when I renewed a master license beyond the grace period of 1 year. In 1991 I renewed a license that had expired in 1988. That was for 1600 ton master. That license expired in 1996 and I was able to renew it in 2005 for 100 ton master due to the fact that I had at one time held the 1600 ton master. In both instances I contacted a licensing prep school and they got the approval from the coast guard on my behalf. The coast guard did stipulate that I complete the course for the license I was sitting for by a school approved by them. You could always give one of those schools a call and see what they have to say.

Back
Top Bottom