Refinishing my teak floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like for soup every one has his own recipe.
For varnish, water or oil, varathane, minwax or any other brand, a varnish is nothing more than a solvent and a resin.
On water based solvent is water, less odor, easier to clean but puting water on wood can have side effect like grain rise.
On oil based solvent is... well oil, being a tung oil, or any other nut oil etc.
Whatever the varnish you will use it will certainly be urethane or polyurethane at the end.
What would make a difference? The way you apply it, clean, rush it or not, temperature etc. Many thin layers better than one thick one as on each layer you will fix any flaw of the one beneath.

For soup, well that is another story:)

L

I'm refinishing my teak floor. I have a 1981 Marine Trader with the traditional teak strip flooring. It's gotten a lot of use over the last 16 years that I have owned her.

I am going to do a light sanding and my choice of finish is Epiphanies or Varathane satin polyurethane.

What are your thoughts for a floor covering?

I recently refinished the floors on my Mainship 400 which are like your floors. I opted to use a heat gun and scraper to remove the existing finish because of the sun damage to the finish. Then lightly sanded with 350 grit by hand to remove any finish I missed and smooth out after scraping. After thoroughly vacuuming and multiple wipe downs with mineral spirits I then brushed 4 coats of Epiphanes Rapid Clear. The can says sanding between coats is not necessary but I did sand between coats 3 and 4. Then lightly sanded again and applied 1 coat of Epiphanes Rubbed Effect Satin. The only thing I should have done differently is reduced the last coat and maybe sanded again for a 5th coat, which I could still do. It came out pretty nice and because the last coat was Satin, its not too shiny. The whole job took me 2 weeks, but applying each coat only took 1.5 hours with 24 hours of drying time between coats.

I'm refinishing my teak floor. I have a 1981 Marine Trader with the traditional teak strip flooring. It's gotten a lot of use over the last 16 years that I have owned her.

I am going to do a light sanding and my choice of finish is Epiphanies or Varathane satin polyurethane.

What are your thoughts for a floor covering?
Varathane. None of the varnishes are hard enough to take the occasional blows and scratches that a floor gets. Put on at least three coats and then lightly sand and put on a coat every few years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom