Raymarine Autohelm 6000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICDUCKS

My autopilot stopped working correctly. I set it and it will slowly start turning toward the starboard side. If I hit a 10° either way it will crank it completely around in a circle. Any suggestions would be great. I'm not even remotely close to being a technical guy when it comes to this stuff.

With the Autohelm series, the first thing to check is the fluxgate compass. They were known to just fail.

First relocate it to make sure that something magnetic has not suddenly taken up residence next to it. If this fails then try replacing it.

Autohelm was a great company that Raymarine bought up. Even Raymarine has not made the Autohelm series for over 25 years. There is a very high likelihood that the system has reached the end of its life.

With the Autohelm series, the first thing to check is the fluxgate compass. They were known to just fail.

First relocate it to make sure that something magnetic has not suddenly taken up residence next to it. If this fails then try replacing it.

Autohelm was a great company that Raymarine bought up. Even Raymarine has not made the Autohelm series for over 25 years. There is a very high likelihood that the system has reached the end of its life.

Thank you

I have a 6000 in my sailboat. Takes anything you can throw at it. Raymarine stiil rebuilds drives and I believe other components so its still worth throwing a fluxgate at it.

In standby, turn the wheel hard over in each direction while observing the rudder position bar graph. If the motion isn't fluid, more than likely the feedback is in need of replacement. If the feedback checks ok, again while in standby, make a slow circle while watching the heading. Again it should be fluid and continuously count up (or down) through all compass quadrants without stopping or skipping any headings. Those 2 items are the common reasons the ST series act as yours is acting.

Those 2 items are the common reasons the ST series act as yours is acting.

Yep. And both easy to remedy, even for DIY. You can find parts easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom