PNW moorage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
In case any of you in the PNW are homeless in terms of a slip:
I have a 75' slip in Blaine Harbor that I acquired when I first purchased DOMINO.
We are really enjoying the Sea of Cortez more than we thought we might so plan to stay another year instead of bringing Domino up next Summer.
I want to hang onto the slip for a while in case we decide to bring her up the following year since these slips are very hard to come by.
I plan to call the marina next week to tell them I will sublet, but if someone on the forum needs or wants this slip which will likely be available for a year+, send me a PM before then. We would still go through the marina for the sublet.

Sounds like an ideal setup. One boat in each location?

Yes. Domino is currently in the Sea of Cortez and Libra is in the PNW. We had the good fortune of having a slip come open 400 yds from a home we own in Port Hadlock, WA this Fall. Bingo!
That is why the slip in Blaine is currently unoccupied. We are saving the slip in case we bring DOMINO up here. She will not fit in the Port Hadlock slip.

Also, we have gotten to a point where we think it is unlikely that we will bring Domino up here in the end. The original thought when we bought her is that we might commute seasonally and do this migration thing with one boat. But, when one seriously considers that distance, that is not reasonable, even on an every other year basis. Whether on its own bottom or on a ship, that is a $40k trip each way. That cost will capitalize the second boat up here and part of the double moorage cost. Making the trip once or twice for the enjoyment of the trip itself, OK, but that is probably a once or twice is enough thing for me.

When you get as boat/water sick as I am, you can rationalize anything......and Lord knows I try.

But I agree. It is a darn good set-up!!

What is the cost of the slip, and are liveaboards allowed? Thanks.

What is the cost of the slip, and are liveaboards allowed? Thanks.

I think the slip is around $12-1300. It is not leased to us as a liveaboard slip and I am unaware of if it can be used as one. There are some liveaboards on that gate.
I am pretty sure I am not allowed to sublet it directly to anyone or I would offer it to you for less just to see that beautiful boat of yours tied up there!

Okay, thanks, we were looking at basing out of somewhere closer to the San Juans for a few months, to save some travel time, but that's more than we'd like to spend for a slip that would be empty for a lot of the time.
On boats, I've admired both of yours for quite some time. Maybe we'll hook up with you in SOC next Winter!:dance:

Blaine, Wa. Slip

We have our name on for a 60 foot slip but it could be a year out …
How to do like the Blaine facility and town. Also are mechanics available?
Any negatives on area and water conditions? Customs being close should be a plus. We plan to cruise the Gulf Islands mainly. Thanks for any advice.. Pat

Any negatives on area and water conditions? Customs being close should be a plus. We plan to cruise the Gulf Islands mainly. Thanks for any advice.. Pat

We like Blaine/Blaine Harbor. It is a good community. The marina facility is modern and well kept. Security seems fine and we are unaware of any bad experiences in that regard.
There is a boat yard on the South end of the marina that recently reopened with a small lift and a marine railway. They have acquired some decent tradesmen and of course any marine service you could think of can service Blaine from Bellingham.
If you are thinking of the customs dock at White Rock for entry to Canada, I have not been in there yet as that is pretty skinny water for deep draft. Point Roberts should work really well for checking back in.
In terms of water conditions, you should be fine with a good-sized boat, but when leaving you need to stick your nose out into the Strait of Georgia and it can be sporty out there for small craft.

Why not a marina on the Vancouver Island side? Sidney, Ladysmith, Nanaimo etc.

Back
Top Bottom