Please help me understand handed winches, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
After purchasing our boat, I noticed that the steel cable of the Nick Jackson crane was flattened in several spots. Folks on this forum seem pleased with Dynema rope, so I decided to replace the cables with 3/8” Dynema.

The winch is a circa 2013 Warn 3700lbs without a tensioner. As one looks at the front of the winch, the motor is on the right side. If I wanted to change the winch, can a winch with motor on the left side be flipped around? This now discontinued WARN winch was not designed for hoisting.. This gives me pause.. maybe it’s fine but I am not sure. Any input would be appreciated.

To complete the story, I installed the Dynema such that the pulling is from below the drum... I see photos with winches being used as hoists and the pulling cable is at the top of the drum??

I spoke with Nick Jackson and he indicated that Dynema or Amsteel would not be advised for a smooth drum, so a change of winch is needed. He did not have such winches available. So the project is on hold until I either secure the proper handed winch for Dynema or go back to steel cables on a winch not designed to hoist.

As a side note, the previous previous owner had left a brand new 2000lbs Rule winch with steel cables w/tensioner but its left handed.

I would very much appreciate any input or experiences.

Streff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom