Paddy's flyin !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce K.

That is some great info you posted Mate. Thanks for sharing it. On the Aussie Commandos known as the Z Specials Did they make a movie about that? I recall something about it. Movie or book or something. Cannot remember.

Cheers.

H.

Bruce K.

That is some great info you posted Mate. Thanks for sharing it. On the Aussie Commandos known as the Z Specials Did they make a movie about that? I recall something about it. Movie or book or something. Cannot remember.

Cheers.

H.
Thanks hf. I`d forgotten about the movie, just checked, it was 1989 I think. They were fearless guys, the boat was so small for crossing ocean waters.I remember there were issues waiting for the kayak to meet up with the Krait afterwards. The crew trained on the boat on Broken Bay near Sydney,and north in Queensland state, there is a commemorative plaque at Refuge Bay affixed to the rocks.
Singapore fell to the Japanese during WW2, there was a messy evacuation, I don`t think Britain covered herself in glory with the defence. There is a separate story and movie about a contingent of Nun Nurses who were captured, I`d advise not going into that. It`s as bad as the Aussie Red Cross Hospital ship, lit up like a Christmas tree, red crosses painted large on white hull and superstructure, torpedoed with massive loss of life.

Bruce I thought it there was a movie about those brave Aussie Lads. As far as the rest. Yes! Shouldn't go into that. I will say this though. Such a waste of life on all sides.

Cheers.

H.

Hf,
First up, apologies to Paddy for this diversion. Wikipedia helped, this gives details of the film miniseries about the Krait exploits made in 1989: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heroes_(miniseries).
It is an amazing story, real old "derring-do" as the English might say.The Krait is very basic, an old Asian fishing boat, not a Vacuflush to be found, a bucket maybe, at best.
There was a local television series about the experiences of the group of Nurse Nuns captured by the Japanese, and I think a film too. Their suffering and indignities were dreadful, like Aussies and others captured and worked to death on the infamous Burma Railway construction.
Out of those camps comes the hero MD,Colonel "Weary" Dunlop, who cared for the men the best he could, and survived the war.
The nickname "Weary" comes from an Aussie spin on Cockney rhyming slang. His surname "Dunlop" is an English tire brand. "Weary" means "tired", as he doubtless was, undernourished, busy day and night, improvising with his medical skills. He practised medicine post war in Australia and was knighted for his service.
It doesn`t bear too much scrutiny, you`d hope we`ve moved on, but then come other things, eg the Rohingya(did I spell it right) in Burma just now. I doubt we really ever learn.

Thanks for the info Bruce.
Your correct the tap water is safe to drink but I think I'd prefer the Tiger Beer, except in tea !
The 'paper' money here is in fact plastic..
Incidentally there was a similar raid from India by the Calcutta Light Horse around and up to Goa to silence a German spy ship. The movie is called The Calcutta Light Horse with the late Roger Moore.
The British officers certainly made a mess of the defence of Singapore.

Today we took an open top bus around the city but our driver had been in training for the Malaysian grand prix and it wasn't the best place to get photo's with the lurching about.
You may think there aren't many cars in SP, in fact there's a 100% import duty on all cars, plus you can only own one for 10 years and you can't buy one unless a car is sold and taken off the city's quota.
SP exports as many used cars as Japan
It costs around 50,000 SP dollars to buy one plus the tolls and taxes to use the roads so it isn't cheap.
Land is precious here and they build both up and down. There's a fine Metro system and they're expanding it all the time.
SP is an expensive city to live in, we're staying in a 5* foxhole and the prices offend my pocket, for less than the price of 1 beer in the hotel we both ate out very well in a local 'street food' eatery.
I could happily stay for 2 weeks but we must be on the move again tomorrow for our flight to Canberra.
My impressions of SP, expensive, spotlessly clean and extremely well run, lovely friendly people and well worth a longer visit.

Photo's
1 & 2 Bride and Groom with their entourages.

3, Their Carriage awaits.

4, Little bit of old China town.

5, Interpol HQ, I'm sure they don't prosecute many bankers.

6, Flowers to compliment the new building.

7,8, Raffles city & a bit more Chinatown.

9. Leafy boulevard in SP.

10, Entrance to Little India.

Attachments

• DSC00148.jpg
    DSC00148.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00150.jpg
    DSC00150.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00157.jpg
    DSC00157.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00161.jpg
    DSC00161.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00162.jpg
    DSC00162.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00164.jpg
    DSC00164.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00174.jpg
    DSC00174.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Virtually all the food is imported into SP from Japan, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and America, which accounts for the costs.
Britain needs to get in there sharpish after quitting the EU.

Here's a wee final look around for you before we leave.

Photo.
1, Entrance to little India.

2, Eclectic mix of building styles.

3 & 4 Little India.

5,There is a mid Autumn festival starting on the 1st of October.

6,Yet more bunting.

7, Umbrella 'tree'.

8&9, Local Indian dress.

10, A cupids heart where lovers can attach a lock, saving the city having to clean them up from elsewhere.

Attachments

• DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00156.jpg
    DSC00156.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00180.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00182.jpg
    DSC00182.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00183.jpg
    DSC00183.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00185.jpg
    DSC00185.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00186.jpg
    DSC00186.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00184.jpg
    DSC00184.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hi Bruce,
I'll certainly take a look at the Kraik when we stop by in Sydney and while I'm in Canberra at my sons house try and download the series on operation Jaywick. We'd planned to visit the Australian war cemetery as a follow up to out visit to Ypres in Belgium on last years travels in 'Windmills & Wine' to pay our respects to our Australian brethren.

Wow Irish, that is wild about the cars in SP. I did not know that. Us yanks would go nuts if they did that 10 year bit on us.:rofl:

Cheers Mate.

H.

Hi Bruce,
I'll certainly take a look at the Krait when we stop by in Sydney and while I'm in Canberra at my sons house try and download the series on operation Jaywick. We'd planned to visit the Australian war cemetery as a follow up to out visit to Ypres in Belgium on last years travels in 'Windmills & Wine' to pay our respects to our Australian brethren.
We visited the Australian Memorial(Aust Govt funded) at Villers Bretonneaux in Picardy region in France this year(on our way to Champagne). The town is almost a shrine to the Aussies who saved it in WW1. Lots of Canadian headstones at the Memorial too. A surprisingly moving experience.
The Sydney Maritime Museum is worth visiting,large fleet from workboats to warships to the stunning James Craig iron hulled sailing ship rescued as a stranded hulk in Tasmania and fully restored to former glory.

We visited the Australian Memorial(Aust Govt funded) at Villers Bretonneaux in Picardy region in France this year(on our way to Champagne). The town is almost a shrine to the Aussies who saved it in WW1. Lots of Canadian headstones at the Memorial too. A surprisingly moving experience.
The Sydney Maritime Museum is worth visiting,large fleet from workboats to warships to the stunning James Craig iron hulled sailing ship rescued as a stranded hulk in Tasmania and fully restored to former glory.

BruceK. Between you and Irish, you both are a whirl wind of info. Both of you are starting to make me want to take a trip to see some of these places just to see and feel some of the history.

Many thanks to the both of you for sharing! :thumb:

Cheers

H.

Bruce as you know there's a very strong bond between the Brits and the Aussies, what many don't realise is that many battalions came from Ireland, or joined British services as individuals from the 1800's.
The Beaufort scale we use today came from Admiral Beaufort from Edgeworthstown, who served in the British navy, likewise the first barometer was invented by an Admiral Fitzroy, another Paddy in the navy.
We don't want to turn this into a history lesson but as we come across these facts it gives substance to our journey and we're always happy to share info precisely to show other people what's out there to see and do.
When travelling your body clock is knocked out of sync so we eat familiar food for the first 24 hrs to allow the body to adjust before tackling some of the local dishes.
In Singapore when eating local dishes you will be asked what spice you like.
Forget the macho image and ask for 'White Mans Spice' or very little spice and you'll enjoy your meal. If your trying to impress your girlfriend and ask for hot and spicy then I would advise you to put the toilet rolls in the fridge to keep them cool !
On that note remember to carry with you pills/tablets for upset stomachs.
In Singapore in every place where people gather. train stations, supermarkets and shopping malls etc.there are always public conveniences, these are generally spotless and many have a nursing mothers room with easy chairs and calm lighting for mothers to breast feed their children in a relaxed and private atmosphere.

This is the next leg of our journey.

Attachments

• SINGAPORE TO CANBERRA..jpg
    SINGAPORE TO CANBERRA..jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
On our next leg we enjoyed the impeccable Singapore Airline in flight service which was unfortunately spoiled by the aircraft not being in the first flush of youth. I believe every interior aircraft designer should be strapped into an economy seat for 12 hours, then we may get a seat cushion better than a brick and arm rests that fold up completely so I don't have to be a Houdini to get out to the heads, fortunately I don't have haemorrhoids. Take note you guys in Seattle.
Apologies for the whinge.

The first impression of Australia is SPACE ! we flew in over Ayers rock as dawn arose, approaching Canberra we had a spectacular view from 12,000 ft.

A family reunion led to from one thing to another and sure you know us Irish, navigating to an orbiting bedroom proved to be a bit like training to be an astronaut in neutral gravity !
Canberra is the capital of Australia and its name is derived from an aboriginal word meaning meeting place. It's a strange city to us spread out among small rolling hills and to us strangers is lacking in soul with no heart, (a bit like the politicians that work there I guess).
The 'centre' is all cubist office blocks, the city planners did build a couple of replica colonial buildings to give it some character.
It is a city built from scratch and relatively young and so has no history.
As we've just arrived my comments are just first impressions and should be taken as such.

Photo's
1, Click on this photo and you can just see the baby kangaroo (called a Joey) in it's mothers pouch, it jumped in there like greased lightening when we arrived.

2,This is NOT in a zoo, these are wild kangaroo's grazing on the short grass in the open countryside.

3,The water geyser is in memorial to the great British Admiral Horatio Nelson and known locally as Nelson's column. For more information on Admiral Nelson look at my previous blog here on TF 'Encore' in the section dealing with Portsmouth.

4,Lakeside walk in Canberra.

5,6,7, 8, Australian wine as we mentioned in the 'Windmills and Wine' post here on TF was initially started with immigrants from Germany and France bringing vine cuttings, initially for their own use, then beginning a whole new industry here in OZ when they found the soil/weather conditions perfect for viticulture. The wine is up there with the best and now exported worldwide.

9, The other national drink of Australia is beer, this pint glass shows the hops and wheat used to make the beer. The expression 'I'm going to blow the froth of a few' means I'm going to have a few beers. The hot weather of course brings a thirst and the beers are very welcome refreshing drink, in moderation. Fortunately I only have a spree now and again on special occasions as I get the rounds of the kitchen and hot tongue and cold shoulder for tea from the admiral.

10, This photo is taken from the arboretum where the land has been cleared and different varieties of trees in planted in groves to encourage and preserve different varieties ranging from Burr walnut, Sugar Maple and various Pines and Oaks.
Click on the photo as I chose this vantage point to show you how the city of Canberra is spread out among the drumlins (small undulating hills).

Attachments

• DSC00199.jpg
    DSC00199.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00201.jpg
    DSC00201.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00205.jpg
    DSC00205.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00208.jpg
    DSC00208.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00211.jpg
    DSC00211.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00215.jpg
    DSC00215.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00219.jpg
    DSC00219.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00222.jpg
    DSC00222.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00240.jpg
    DSC00240.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I mentioned Ayers Rock in the previous post.
This giant piece of red rock stands all alone in the middle of the bush.
The wild uninhabited territory is known as 'The Bush' or 'Outback'.

This Aborigine stands in profile in front of Ayers Rock.

Attachments

• Ayers Rock.jpg
    Ayers Rock.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 213
During a visit to the information centre we came across this aborigine giving a talk and demonstration of didgeridoo playing and dancing.

Photo 1,
The aborigine is doing some vocals and the things in his hands are some shaped sticks to do the percussion accompaniment. The girls are doing the aboriginal shuffle dance.

The girls are well into the dreamtime dance.

If you click on this photo you will see the guy on the right sitting down is playing a base aboriginal didgeridoo wind instrument.

There's even a German supermarket chain represented here in Canberra.

Attachments

• DSC00245.jpg
    DSC00245.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00246.jpg
    DSC00246.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00244.jpg
    DSC00244.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00197.jpg
    DSC00197.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
First of all, a warning about calling Ayers Rock, Ayers Rock. It is properly called Uluru by its aboriginal custodians, and more generally.
Years ago flying to Asia on a Qantas 747, we did a figure 8 circuit of Ayers Rock(as it was then called). I don`t know who was onboard leading to this but we descended from cruise altitude, circled the Rock at a low level in both directions, and climbed back to cruising altitude. What that cost in fuel does not bear thinking about.
Canberra, located in the Australian Capital Territory, is indeed carved out of nowhere. I spent time staying there, and in adjacent Queanbeyan(aka "Struggletown"), for work. It is artificial, but has spawned a community and a considerable residential area.Canberra sails through recession(though we`ve not really had one since the 1990s), because as the centre of Government it is always well funded. I used take a bicycle and cycle round the Lake when I could.
Canberra is not an early starter in viticulture but is making an effort, as are other south west parts of NSW state. I have never consumed wine containing Merlot except as part of a blend, eg Cabernet/Shiraz/Merlot, and don`t suggest it.
Even so, Canberra has its charms. The Museum is wonderful, and food/cafes restaurants are good. A visit to nearby towns,like Yass(an old sheep grazing area) and Bungendore, would be rewarding, to see something of old Australia. Old towns often have well preserved colonial era buildings. The Court House at Goulburn, one hour from Canberra, is amazing and perfectly preserved.(I cannot say the same for the one in Queanbeyan). Court houses have "supervised use",so they remain original,as do adjacent Police Stations. Australian red cedar timber features in old buildings in architraves, doors, and furniture.
Enjoy your visit!

Bon anniversaire

Hello everyone.
Those of you who enjoyed 'Ireland to the Mediterranean Part 1' and 'Windmills and Wine' may enjoy this next post starting in 2 weeks time on the 22nd of September 2017.
During a superb lunch with Oliver, fellow TF member 'OMC' and his beautiful wife Pilou I explained our plans to them and they coaxed me to start this new thread, I checked with TF first to see if its acceptable subject matter as its a non boating article.
To explain, I've a son serving in the RAAF in Australia and as we've been messing around in boats this last couple of years spending the kids inheritance it was time to get my priority's in order.
It seemed a shame to whizz out to the other side of the world and back without seeing anything other than the inside of a Boeing so we booked a trip starting in Narbonne, France, stopping off in Singapore for a few days, then Canberra, the great barrier reef, the Whit Sunday islands (y'see there's just gotta be boats in it somewhere) Sydney, Hawaii, San Francisco, Miami, change flights in Lisbon Portugal, Barcelona and back to our cruiser 'Snow Mouse' moored in Narbonne.
I plan to use a similar format to the previous posts with lots of photo's and information I can pick up along the way. As before the idea is that people who don't normally have the possibility for various reasons to be able to see and learn from our experiences.
You will be welcome to come and join us when Paddy's flyin !

Of course as were on the move the posts will depend on Wi-Fi access.

[FONT="<font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Comic Sans MS</font></font>"][/FONT]

Salut les amis, un petit coucou de Rose Marie et moi qui souhaitons un JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE à Jeff pour ses 47 ans(LOL). Buvez un double coup à notre santé, à très bientôt de vous lire, grosses bises à vous deux de nous deux: bateau de vitesse:

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the 'heads up'. most people outside of Australia are not aware of the delicacy in relations with the aboriginal people and would still refer to it as Ayers rock. We don't wish to cause any ill will or offence as we're just visitors passing through and if I inadvertently put my foot in it please give me a fools pardon.
From what we've seen so far we love it here, everyone's been so nice to us. I wonder how things would've worked out if I'd have took up the offer of a 10£ pom all those years ago ?
I'll try and help out with the Merlot as best I can to support local industry. :)
To be truthful coming from France we're pleasantly surprised by the quality of the local wines bearing in mind climate and soil.
One thing that stands out here in Australia is that the vintners took a fresh look at the whole production process starting with a clean page whereas in France tradition plays a large part in viticulture business.
The local beer products are also very good, ginger beer available locally here in Canberra as a refreshing drink is extremely difficult to find in France.
For those not familiar with the size of Australia the vast distance make distribution of goods a challenge to suppliers.

BonJour Henri, merci beaucoup pour tes souhaits pour mon anniversaire.
Nous passons de bons moments en famille, esperons que tout va au mieux pour vous egalement.
bisous a Rose Marie, bonne journee

Irish.

Love the photos of the Roos and of course the booze! :rofl:

You and your Lady be safe Mate.

Cheers.

H.

My favourite red is a GSM, essentially Grenache Shiraz(aka Syrah) Mouvedre(. Lou Tribal pointed out that is a traditional French blend we Aussies copy. I`ve seen it with a little Cinsault and Petit Verdot in the blend.
The distances here can come as a surprise. It takes about 3.5 hours flying after crossing northern Australia before arriving at Sydney, 4-4.5 hours from Sydney to Perth though quicker on the return due to following wind which can be up to 300km/h. Some flights from Asia head to Perth and "hang a left" to pick up the tailwind. I`ve been in a 767 moving at 1200km/h due to the airmass itself moving at 300km/h.

I bow to your local knowledge Bruce and will certainly try some GSM.
Distances are certainly much greater than we would be used to and all the more interesting for that.
Talking of transport one of the things that are different for us is the use of the Ute (Utility truck). The Australians buy them as a chassis cab and then fit them out to suit their needs. Trailers for Utes and cars are especially well built by the coach builders.
Utes come in practical 4x4's and also the car derived type with a V8 engine for the boy racers.
Heavy trucks here are mostly American Kenworth's, Peterbilts, Freightliners etc. and the lighter ones are Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Nissan with a sprinkling of European makes.

Photo's.
1, Kenworth fuel tanker and trailer.

2,Car type Ute with a V8 tucked under the bonnet(hood).
We actually watched a Ute race on TV and pretty sporty it was too.

3,Workmans Ute, note the play on words on the door advertisement.

4, Look at the light bar and spots on this baby, note also the radio aerials for use out in the bush where there probably won't be a phone signal.

5, 6,7,8, Very practical various well built Ute body's.

9, We did see a Winnebago with lots of chrome but again the Aussie play on words shows the sense of humour.

Attachments

• DSC00247.jpg
    DSC00247.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00249.jpg
    DSC00249.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00254.jpg
    DSC00254.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00256.jpg
    DSC00256.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00260.jpg
    DSC00260.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00266.jpg
    DSC00266.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00259.jpg
    DSC00259.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00263.jpg
    DSC00263.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00267.jpg
    DSC00267.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
It's not often you can go for a picnic in a nations capital city with a view like this !
While we enjoyed our family picnic some visitors came to say hello !.

One of the things that you must be very aware of when visiting Australia is that because the air is so clean the suns rays can penetrate easily and is very strong, care must be taken to protect any exposed skin, therefore you must SLIP on the sunglasses, SLOP on the sun cream and SLAP on the hat.

Another thing that stands out to us is the conundrum that while Australia is a vast continent with the population equivalent to Paris in France, space is not at a premium. Why therefore are the car parking charges so high ?
If they can build a town below the ground why can't they build underground carparks when designing a relatively new capital city like Canberra ?

The town of Coober Pedy lies 846 miles north of Adelaide and is in the Opal mining district. People moved into the cave like mines once they were finished for Opal mining and 60% of it's population live underground with small chimneys, the odd hotel and golf course above ground.

Photo's.
1, This will help you to follow our visit.

2, Each country has it's own endangered species.

3, Picnic in the city ? Just behind the railings is a creek which is home to some Platypus duckbills, an aquatic mammal peculiar to Australia, they are a bit camera shy today but we'll try again another day/place for a photo.

4,5,6, These pretty seed eating Galah birds came to say Hello!

Attachments

• DSC00270.jpg
    DSC00270.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00268.jpg
    DSC00268.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00271.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00272.jpg
    DSC00272.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00279.jpg
    DSC00279.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00276.jpg
    DSC00276.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Many of you followed 'Windmills and Wine' post and would have seen the photo's of the tulip fields in April at Keukenhof, Holland.
Imagine our surprise to be here in Canberra and find tulip gardens in full bloom in October, of course it's all down to the reversed antipodean seasons.
The major difference is that Keukenhof fields in Holland are permanent whereas in the Australian version the tulips are grown in the nurseries on pallets and taken to the site for the display assembly.
Come and share with us the beauty and joy of our visit.

Photo's.
1, No it's not real, but it's one the snakes than can be found in Australia.

2,3,Aren't these beautiful.

4, Modern art.

5,There are two stages erected at this exhibition which play music to entertain the crowds in the sunshine.

6, I thought this a clever idea and the pattern is changed everyday.

7,A very realistic little Koala bear toy.

8, In the frame ! Family photo.

9, Pretty.

10, This is a lens which inverts images of anyone standing behind it. We had much amusement watching a group of elderly Japanese trying to figure it out.

Attachments

• DSC00223.jpg
    DSC00223.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00228.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00231.jpg
    DSC00231.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00235.jpg
    DSC00235.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00233.jpg
    DSC00233.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00384.jpg
    DSC00384.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00386.jpg
    DSC00386.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I've often mentioned military things in posts and the reason is that there's been at least 1 family member serving continually in the armed forces since 1764. The last, (having no children is my son) in this uninterrupted service to our country.
He started his service in the RAF serving in 201 squadron who distinguished themselves in Ypres in the 1st world war, 201 later went on to become one of the finest squadrons in ASW using the Nimrod aircraft.
After service in the RAF he transferred to the Australian air force where he's risen to the rank of Squadron leader. That's explains our connection to the armed services.
Having visited the Menin Gate war memorial at Ypres last year (this is shown in 'Windmills and Wine' posts 24 & 26) we follow the family connection to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra where we visited on the occasion of the homage to Australian soldiers who lost their lives at Ypres and on the Menin road out of Ypres.

Photo's.
1,2,3,4 self explanatory.

5, Distinguished veteran.

6, The bullets marks on the hull depict a 'hot' landing at Gallipoli.

7, 9 Horses and camels were used in many campaigns.

8, This bell got well and truly rung.

10, Self explanatory.

Attachments

• DSC00290.jpg
    DSC00290.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00294.jpg
    DSC00294.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00295.jpg
    DSC00295.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00299.jpg
    DSC00299.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00302.jpg
    DSC00302.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00304.jpg
    DSC00304.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00310.jpg
    DSC00310.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00307.jpg
    DSC00307.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00317.jpg
    DSC00317.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Following on from the last post on our visit to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
I apologize for the poor photo's this is due to the subdued ambient lighting inside the museum.

Photo's,
1, The opposition.

2, Early transport.

3, Makers name.

4, This is a Victoria cross and is made from the brass of captured cannon.

5,Spitfire.

6,Fairy Supermarine carrier based fighter.

7. Midget submarine with two anti shipping mines in the nose.

8, This Lancaster bomber powered by 4 Rolls Royce Merlin engines completed over 80 missions in bombing raids on Germany and now rests in the museum.
The Spitfire fighter used 1 Merlin engine. Early Merlin engines quickly wore out until the variable pith propeller was introduced and they became the workhorse of the RAAF.

9.Focke Wolfe fighter.

Attachments

• DSC00319.jpg
    DSC00319.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00334.jpg
    DSC00334.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00335.jpg
    DSC00335.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00345.jpg
    DSC00345.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00351.jpg
    DSC00351.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00362.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00366.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00368.jpg
    DSC00368.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC00370.jpg
    DSC00370.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Here each evening at 5.0 pm, a simple but moving ceremony is held here to the fallen.
Everyday a different name is taken from the military records of a fallen Australian serviceman or servicewoman and their personal story is told to the audience.
Wreaths are laid by visiting servicemen and women and after the sounding of the Last Post by the bugler the exhortation is read.

They grow not old as we that are left grow old.
At the going down of the sun and in the morn.
We will remember them.

For the origins of The Last Post if you read 'Windmills and Wine' posts 24 to 26.

Photo.
This is the war memorial in Canberra showing the pool of reflection with an everlasting flame. The double doors at the far end house the remains of the unknown warrior. Wreaths are laid at this end of the pool.
On the walls inside the cloisters on the left and right are inscribed the names of a fallen servicemen and women who have given their lives in the service of their country.

You speak English today because of their sacrifice.

Attachments

• DSC00300.jpg
    DSC00300.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I knew you would appreciate the Museum. I first went there as a kid on a school excursion from Sydney, my first flight,and have been back a number of times.
I think the midget sub was recovered from Sydney Harbour, one of several to enter the Harbour from a Japanese mother ship which shelled the coast. They torpedoed a ferry used by the Navy for storing munitions,the HMAS Kuttabul, killing some sailors. One, perhaps the Museum exhibit, was caught in underwater anti submarine meshing. Another rests on the ocean floor about 15 miles N of Sydney and is protected as a war grave site.
I could not help noticing in the view from the Museum towards Parliament House, at least 2 "utes" made the photo. The ute was intended to be used as a farm vehicle during the week and to take the family to church on Sunday. Now they can come in twin cab form, ie 4 doors plus tray, but they rarely see use on a farm.

Hi Bruce.
No one who visits can fail to be impressed, thanks for the info on the mini sub.
What impresses me on the Ute's' is the high standard of custom coachwork/boxes.

Australia's a young country, it's capitol Canberra is young to be a nation's capitol. It was conceived in the early 1900's and a married couple of American architects design was accepted. The following photo's were taken from the same place that they stood on Mount Ainslie and conceived the overall concept.
The river that runs through Canberra is called the Molonglo river.

Photo's.
1,2, What's this ? It's a German Leopard tank, once used by it's cavalry regiment it's now retired and is the centrepiece of the returned serviceman's league.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Views of Canberra from Mount Ainslie.

Attachments

• DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00396.jpg
    DSC00396.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00397.jpg
    DSC00397.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00399.jpg
    DSC00399.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00402.jpg
    DSC00402.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00403.jpg
    DSC00403.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00406.jpg
    DSC00406.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00407.jpg
    DSC00407.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Food and drink in Canberra.
One of the things that impresses me on our visit is the wide variety of high quality food on offer. Obviously when migrants arrive they bring their own traditional food recipes and initially open a restaurant for their own kinfolk, this means for the foodie connoisseur a whole range of tastes are there for you to try, from Chinese to Greek and everything in between.
If you consider Australia's varied seasons and climate a stunning range of super fresh food of all types is readily available, with it's clear clean waters surrounding her Australia's fresh fish range is the envy of the world.
Add all this together with a big appetite casual down to earth attitude and your guaranteed never to leave the table hungry.
I love my food but even I struggle to finish the man sized portions.

Drink ?
Australia's wine industry may be young but it's going places. Some of the famous names like Wolf Blass have been snapped up by the multinational breweries, (Wolf Blass had to let his trademark name go with the sale but he's busy acting as consultant to other family wineries).

Beer, a similar trend occurred in the brewery trade but many micro breweries have sprung up and marketing their products and gaining great strides with their popularity as people quite properly support local enterprises.

When James Squire, one of the fleet convicts, was caught stealing ingredients to make beer he was taken up to court and the judge ordered 150 lashes.............and 2 barrels of beer !
James Squire went on to become Australia's first brewer, you can still buy his original tasting beer from the company he founded.
Purely in the interest of research I can personally recommend it to you.

Photo.
Public transport is friendly, efficient and spotlessly clean.
Look at this neat idea for taking your bike on the bus, the rack can hold 2 bikes and folds away flat when not in use.

Attachments

• DSC00394.jpg
    DSC00394.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The Wolf Blass wine brand was acquired by Fosters. Fosters was divided into beer and wine products. SAB Miller bought the Fosters part, the wine part became Treasury Wine Estates, whose shares(stock) are flying high. They own numerous brands, incl Penfolds, whose Grange shiraz sells at around $600 a bottle, but they make many lesser wines. Treasury Wine owns Beringer in USA, in California. Henschke`s Hill of Grace also sells in the $600 price bracket. Treasury sells wine direct to shareholders at good prices, home delivered. (Ask me how I know).
In the climate of wildfires in California, it is worth knowing that several years back fire got into Canberra suburbs, I think around the western end of Lake Burley Griffin, spreading between houses.
The direct line of sight between the Parliament and the Museum is a great feature, well captured in your excellent photos.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom