Outback Inverter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cosmo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shear Bliss
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
Our relatively 'new' to us boat has an Outback inverter (unk size as manual does not specify) and 4 telecom batteries. I should add, there are 4 solar panels on the aft deck hardtop.

Oddly enough, when on anchor and inverter on, coffee pot will kick the GFI within a minute or two of startup. Outback panel error code says 'Low AC Output.' Have the 7 year old batteries given up the ghost? Are Outback inverters 1000watts and can't handle a house drip coffee pot? The panel indicates the pot is drawing .8kw.

Is the inverter trying to convert the incoming solar to AC before being deposited into the batteries? Just seems like those 4 batteries should be able to tolerate it.

I should add; on shorepower or on generator, that GFI outlet works fine powering the coffee pot.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I don’t think OutBack made an inverter less than 2000 watts. With the batteries being 7 years old, that would be my first thought. Can you check the voltage at the batteries with a load? Also, check the OutBack’s low voltage setting. It is adjustable. We had an OurBack for 13 years, it’s a solid product and tech support was always good although their target market is now off grid.

Low voltage setting. Hmmm. Will take a look. Altogether possible the PO’s set it.

Thanks for the suggestion

There should be a label showing information about the unit, Current out, current in, or in watts. Voltage in and out. You may have to really look around using a small flashlight and a mirror.

I agree though that I would get the batteries tested as they may not be able to hold voltage with any kind of medium serious load.

Deep diving and I may have a solid clue…my batteries are Meridian Marine which are now Northstar. I am thinking my batts are older than led to believe. I am merely ballparking but based on that info, possibly 10 yrs +old.

I understand Telecom batts have.a longer life than golf cart batts so who knows…

Appreciate the input. Mystery continues.

As always. I could be wrong, but I have never seen house batteries last for seven years.

You really don’t tell us what type of batteries you have. I don’t know if you have four 12v batteries or if you have four 6v batteries put in series to make 12v. Then the question is are they 100 amp/hr or 250 amp/hr deep cycle batteries? Are they lead acid or AGM?

With the additional information of possibly being 10 years old, I am suspecting that your batteries are shot and only capable of producing 20% of the energy they once produced.

Until I have more facts I am just guessing.

Heating elements are big loads for batteries so it’s not a surprise that the coffee pot shows up as the cause of a batteriy’s demise.

It is very likely the low voltage setting is too conservative. I didn’t realize how low the voltage can dip till I looked at mine after installation. I have a huge house bank, huge cables, short cable runs, and still, when powering a coffee maker the voltage dips lower than I would have expected.

Any chance of putting a meter on the batteries to monitor voltage while running the coffee pot? If you have a display for the Outbacks, they even have a "Meters" page that will show you the battery voltage, so no other metering required.

Twisted Tree,-good question. That gauge would show 12.5-6 unplugged from shore power with nothing on the panel(s) drawing. Turn on coffee and the voltage would drop 2+ volts like maybe even down to 9.9. Then gfi would kick off.

Twisted Tree,-good question. That gauge would show 12.5-6 unplugged from shore power with nothing on the panel(s) drawing. Turn on coffee and the voltage would drop 2+ volts like maybe even down to 9.9. Then gfi would kick off.

This sounds like your inverter shutting off due to low battery voltage rather than a GFI fault. That's consistent with decreased bank capacity.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Thanks Jeff. I’m starting to price out replacement Telecoms in the event that’s the next step.

Well, there's your problem.

Most likely dead batteries, but a slight possibility that you have a cabling/connection issue. To answer with more certainty, put a meter directly on the batteries, and re-run the test. If the voltage sags right at the batteries, then you know it's the batteries. If the battery voltage holds up, then you have a cabling/connection problem, and that could actually be rather dangerous and should be tracked down and fixed pronto.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom