On your boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just you....if you think there are that few that can run your boat.

Sure I can understand that's your concern....but trust and can safely run are 2 different things.
Oh no, I'm sure there are dozens just on this forum alone who could run and maintain my boat far better than I could. I'm sure they could run circles around me. My point was that personally, in my life right now, those are the four guys whose skills and experience and mechanical aptitude I know and trust well enough where if they called me and asked to take the boat out, I'd say sure.

I've watched the boat taxi drivers in the mooring fields in Catalina do impressive things, far more skilled than I'll ever be. There's a YouTube video of a 15 year old kid taking a 56 footer out of a tight marina (search "15 yr boat" on YouTube), impressive skill in my opinion. But I don't know any of them personally, nor do I know the OP or any other stranger who randomly asks for a ride. That what I meant.

I had a TFer show up for a marina overnight with a dog! I sure wasn't expecting that!

Now I make sure the ground rules are understood on both sides up front.

Oh no, I'm sure there are dozens just on this forum alone who could run and maintain my boat far better than I could. I'm sure they could run circles around me. My point was that personally, in my life right now, those are the four guys whose skills and experience and mechanical aptitude I know and trust well enough where if they called me and asked to take the boat out, I'd say sure.

I've watched the boat taxi drivers in the mooring fields in Catalina do impressive things, far more skilled than I'll ever be. There's a YouTube video of a 15 year old kid taking a 56 footer out of a tight marina (search "15 yr boat" on YouTube), impressive skill in my opinion. But I don't know any of them personally, nor do I know the OP or any other stranger who randomly asks for a ride. That what I meant.

That is understandable, but there is a world of difference between somebody asking to take your boat out and somebody asking you to take them out on your boat. Asking to take your boat out would be a serious "no go".

You could join Coat Guard Auxilary or Power Squadron.

They go on patrols with their personal boats on weekends. They usually have several members on one boat.

Members may have a trawler.

You may become friends with members.

Squadron or Auxilary friends may invite you on their trawler.

I recommend ABC (FKA USPS) join, take some courses, get to know other members. Frequently members are welcome to have crew for day trips, etc. Sometimes spouses welcome the additional help. You gave an opportunity to expand your network with others that know and enjoy boating... lots of benefits if you are seeking info & experience.
You could join Coat Guard Auxilary or Power Squadron.

They go on patrols with their personal boats on weekends. They usually have several members on one boat.

Members may have a trawler.

You may become friends with members.

Squadron or Auxilary friends may invite you on their trawler.

If you want to meet trawlermen, hang where the trawlermen hang.

All great suggestions!

That is understandable, but there is a world of difference between somebody asking to take your boat out and somebody asking you to take them out on your boat. Asking to take your boat out would be a serious "no go".

RArmstrong, I hear what you are saying, and what you are asking, as have most, if not all, who replied. I guess it boils down to the fact that you cannot really size a person up on line, it has to be face to face, so it is that concern, either expressed or implied, that motivated most of the replies. I feel the same way, and I'm a pretty trusting sort of guy. Trying to arrange what you describe, which is a very reasonable thing to do, is just not one of those things you can readily do without a face to face meeting. My advice, as others have suggested as well, is to make yourself known down at your nearest (reasonably sized) marina, by walking the docks, and chatting. Also having a chat with skippers at the bar of the marina tavern, if there is one. Once you've eyeballed a few, and admired their boats, then your perfectly reasonable request would probably be received warmly - or even offered, without you actually asking, once you've mentioned your reason in a less direct way. Good luck with that, but from personal experience I can assure you that's be the best approach. :)

I guess it boils down to the fact that you cannot really size a person up on line, it has to be face to face, so it is that concern, either expressed or implied, that motivated most of the replies. I feel the same way, and I'm a pretty trusting sort of guy.

...says the guy who flew to France to meet a mutual imaginary TF friend. :socool:

...says the guy who flew to France to meet a mutual imaginary TF friend. :socool:

:lol: Yeah, but we were flying over there anyway to do a river cruise, and our son was in France also. Also many photos exchanged. :)

I had a TFer show up for a marina overnight with a dog! I sure wasn't expecting that!

Now I make sure the ground rules are understood on both sides up front.

My boat cost more than twice that of my dirt home. I refused the boat builder's request to charter my boat for several days. (We are still on good terms.)

Last edited:
Not a fan of yacht clubs, they are primarily social clubs (drinking and eating), but joining a club will put you in contact with friendly boat owners who would likely invite you on their boats.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there anybody in or near Texas that would take me out on your trawler for a day or two and let me see if the reality is anywhere near as cool as the "dream"?

After 20 years in the military ...

As a Tank Commander on M60 series Tanks we had a crew of 4 in about the size of a Honda Civic for weeks and months at a time.

Another "thanks for your service" from another vet.

Owning a “big” boat is a commitment. The maintenance hours alone can consume you. For me, it’s my greatest passion and I love working on her not to mention taking her out for long hauls.

It’s expensive even doing 99% of the work myself including engine work.

Donna's post makes an important point. A ride on somebody's boat may give you a feel for riding on that boat (and many other boats may ride completely differently)...

But this kind of boating isn't a get on/have fun/get off/go home kind of activity.

It's more like get on, fix something, rest, learn how to fix something else, go for a ride, return, wash the boat, buy a part or a system, rest, fix something, improve something, rest, go for a ride, wash the boat, learn how to improve something else, buy a part or a system, learn how to install a part or a system... scattered throughout maybe with some hired help for something you can't do yourself for whatever reason... make a plan to fix or improve something else...

Ad infinitum.

Just want to be sure you understand "a day or two" probably won't give you a feel for the whole picture.

It will make a big difference if you find you have an interest in doing all that other work. Learning how to and then becoming an engine mechanic, a plumber, an electrician, an HVAC guy... as well as a pilot, navigator, radioman, etc... as well as maybe being your own "yard labor" (unskilled labor) for washing and waxing you hull, bottom painting, etc.

If you were nearby, we could probably talk over a beverage or two...

-Chris

Last edited:
...My advice, as others have suggested as well, is to make yourself known down at your nearest (reasonably sized) marina, by walking the docks, ...

IME, nowadays most decent sized marinas have locking gates for the docks, especially in larger metro areas. Occasionally you might be able to find a gate that fails to close properly or can trail somebody else in. In some marinas the transient piers are not gated, so you may have some luck with that.

...But this kind of boating isn't a get on/have fun/get off/go home kind of activity.

It's more like get on, fix something, rest, learn how to fix something else, go for a ride, return, wash the boat, buy a part or a system, rest, fix something, improve something, rest, go for a ride, wash the boat, learn how to improve something else, buy a part or a system, learn how to install a part or a system... scattered throughout maybe with some hired help for something you can't do yourself for whatever reason... make a plan to fix or improve something else...

Ad infinitum...

Ain't that the truth. Help me re-wire the midships bilge pump and then squeeze yourself between the hull and the outboard side of the port engine so I can install a new fuel line and I'll be happy to give you a ride -- heck, change the toilet macerators and you can stay overnight for free and we'll serve breakfast on the aft deck.

I have fond memories of my time in Maryland and on the Chesapeake Bay. I had a Sea Ray Weekender 26 I kept in Pasadena while I was there. Nothing like a day on the bay topped off with a half a bushel of Crab with friends. That's also where I learned to sail and bought my first 2 sailboats. I still have a couple friends out that way and you just never know when I might be out that way and contact you for that chat. And Brother, thank you for your service as well.

We have a bunch of hoity-toity folks here, don't we?

I posed that same question in the Boat/US classifieds many years back. A fellow wrote back saying my wife, daughter and I were welcome to spend the weekend on his trawler with him and his GF. There was none of the conditions or any other BS. We went, we all had a ball (we found out they were nudists - but we were too when we were offshore in our sailbote). Not long after we bought a 35' trawler.

Things have radically changed since then. Today we're taught to be offended, suspicious and conditional. It's a shame.

Anyway, we really couldn't afford the trawler ($75k) so we put her in charter service. Chartering paid every expense - there was no out of pocket - we were the only trawler for charter between the Chesapeake and Jacksonville and she was out over 12 weeks the first year. The folks who chartered her were unexpectedly easy on her.

We sold her after owning her for a little over a year. Ask me why.

Good afternoon,
We live on a 45 ft marine trader trawler.
When you think about owning this type of water craft.
1. I have a one screw. But, I would never buy again unless I purchased a 2 screw. Which I would do.
My job is a 3 screw all day, 2 running , 3rd a get home engine. 120 feet.
The width is the best.
So, think hard.
It's a slow ride
Best
Capt Richard A

Hi RArmstrong,
Wow, I'm really surprised at this thread. I always said you could tell a large power or sailboat owner because they were always friendly and looking for someone to go out with them.
I'm a week behind on this posting but if your ever in the Groton, Ct area let me know. I'm at a large marina and generally every weekend or vacation weeks I walk around the docks meeting new people even after 3 years. We help each other and are always looking for someone to go out with us and they say New Englanders are unfriendly. Usually start with an afternoon and then longer.
You get above 40ft and flybridges and it's a pain to singlehand. Additional person on board does nothing to the fuel use and I've had great discussions. Boating to me is all about friendships, going places and making new friends. I used to take people out sailing in the Boston Harbor islands that I met at a tourist museum lunch bar on George's Island and now I have over a dozen friends who keep in touch around the world.

We have a bunch of hoity-toity folks here, don't we?

Things have radically changed since then. Today we're taught to be offended, suspicious and conditional. It's a shame.

??

My reactions 60 years ago (when I was slightly younger) would have been the same as now.

Some people are open, some people are cautiously open, some people are Just cautious, some are closed. Been like since before dirt...

-Chris

Last edited:
??

My reactions 60 years ago (when I was slightly younger) would have been the same as now.

Some people are open, some people are cautiously open, some people are Just cautious, some are closed. Been like since before dirt...

-Chris

What people are unfairly doing and then using to attack the forum and it's members is they're comparing two very different situations. You can't compare posting on a forum to walking up to someone in person. They are not the same. In person, one can quickly judge and form some opinions based on what they see, hear, and smell. You can have a conversation with lots of interaction.

Online, hardened criminals can sound like the sweetest person ever. This isn't the tourist center lunch bar. People from here who have met have had great times together, but they initially met either with a group or in a very controlled way.

Each person here has their reasons and several of us tried to offer the OP suggestions as to a workable approach. If it was just me on my boat, I might even react differently, although offering to take a stranger is likely something I'd never do. If I met one at a marina and got to know them there though I would. However, we often have other guests and I have a responsibility to them too. I'm not going to spring someone on them I don't even know.

And if one wants to think no problems from boat forums, then please rethink that. Not as bad as facebook and not as scary as tinder. But just look at the Uber issues of safety with violence by passengers and by drivers. I know of a case where someone met a boater trying to sell a boat, or so he thought, and he was robbed and tied up and left and not found for a day. I also know on one of the most prestigious boating forums of a ship and boat owner from Europe who "hired" a US captain. The US captain dropped what he was doing and prepared for he and his wife to move to Europe. From that point the two stories are extremely different, but needless to say the captain was left unemployed and nearly bankrupt.

I believe 99.5% of those on this forum are trustworthy. There are many long time members I'd be extremely comfortable with because of how much I know about them. I'm sure the moderators and administrators could tell you of a few scammers over the years. I've been sent a prospectus of an oil venture (fracking) from a member of a boating forum who I wouldn't have trusted an inch.

I don't go looking for people to give boat rides too. Yesterday, we already had 13 aboard, all who knew each other well. When cruising I don't look to add friends, since the people we see, we're not likely to see again. However, I have embraced many people we met along the way.

I'd give the same advice to meeting those from a forum I give to those on dating sites. Talk to them online until comfortable, then on the phone. If comfortable, exchange identifying and verifiable information. Then meet for coffee or lunch in a very public place after telling someone you're doing so. Now, you can get to know them. Still no guarantees but you greatly improved the odds.

Oh and I know a lady on a sailing site who met someone from it. The lady was an experienced sailor and looking for a platonic sailing experience. Everything was discussed and agreed to. Then the first night of the trip she's asleep and he crawls on top of her. After she maced him, they returned to their starting point.

We are the most private people here, or among such. I was always private, but an even 18 years ago forced us to be highly secretive and private at that time and for years to come. You don't put photos online when you're told your life may depend on it. We're beyond the threat now or 99.9% beyond, but habits stay with you.

Well said! Thank you.

Ok, I am late.
Do you pick up hitch hikers? Did in the 60s dont now. Do I carry, didnt in the 60s do now. Its a different world.
I was asked if I wanted to do a 200 mile trip down the coast in a friends (known him for 10 years and lived two doors down) trawler. At time I was a sailboater. I took him up on the week long trip. Turns out, ten years wasnt long enough. When cruising he carried a bag of onions and ate them like apples. Can you imagine what it was like when the holding tank overflowed into the bilge on the 5th day? It was the south Texas coast, no pump outs.
He and I are still friends, but not boating buddies.
Then there was the friend that asked me to help him bring a new sailboat from Houston to Corpus (200 miles). He would pay all expenses and we would eat at fancy restaurants every evening. And stay at nice marinas every night (4 day trip). Got there in the evening and IMMEDIATELY set sail, no dinner!!! He ran us aground before we got to the ICW. Anchored out and ate cheese and crackers for dinner....AND breakfast, just 10 miles from the start. Next day he decided we could make it in just two days, not four. Got to Port Oconnor late at night and clandestinely tied up in someones elses private slip and had cheese and crackers for dinner and you know what we had for breakfast. At that point I didnt care what we ate, just hoped we would get to Corpus before I was jailed for murder. The next day we got to Corpus. He was a fellow Yacht Club Member and we never spoke again. Possibly his motivation for never speaking was the vile names I called him as I stepped onto the dock. Something about GD Yankees and probably a racial slur or two about his thrift.. Dont remember much else from that "Delivery from Hell"
To continue the questions in the first paragraph, do I take people on board for trips? Did in the 60s and still do now. BUT...........mostly, my wife of 63 years, whose odor I am used to and who would take care of me even if I smelled bad.
Now, how can the OP get a ride. Join a Yacht Club like the Bay Yacht Club that has only a few snotty members and lots of people with boats. Survive the 6 months trial period and then you probably wont have to ask for a ride. Hey, maybe I will ask you.
And not to make this a mutual admiration society, but, thanks for your service. I also served 60 years ago most of which I cannot talk about.

Lots of good advice here... as others have said. However it seems like the OP just wants to get out on a boat and see how it feels. Others have suggested a charter and maybe he doesn't yet have the confidence or skills for that. I think that the OP might get a bigger pick-up by making personal contacts at the local marina for a day only trip. Where he can make an important personal impression, that, if successful can easily lead to a longer 'trial'. I have had the misfortune of picking up the 'wrong' crew in Horta in the Azores. We kept her on board till we got to Ponta Delgata but she nearly sank our boat. Lesson learned. Arguably she was cute which did not endear her to the admiral but the near collision at night was the last straw. My crew also to blame for the distraction that she posed and ultimately I was to blame for the original agreement to put her on board. It's a huge responsibility to take on crew, especially if you are offshore or further afield. My record is patchy. I have picked 7 crew for transatlantics and have had 2 failures.
~A

I’m a pretty friendly guy. Taken two families out this summer to spread ashes of a dear departed soul and turned down their offers of money. But to take a complete stranger for an over nighter for $100? My slip is over $800per month. Insurance, $150 per month. Overnight moorage between $50-100 per night. Yesterday’s lunch for two, with tip, was over$70. No, I won’t bring a stranger out for two days for any amount of money.

You already have lots of boating experience. The red flag is your spouse is not into it. That is a bad start. Join a yacht club, make some friends, talk and listen. You’ll figure it out.

I don't understand what the commitment is. I come from a different world.
If anyone on the forum visits Adelaide, I'd be happy to take them out on the water for a day.

If you've got a body odour problem, I'll tell you to hang out in the cockpit. It's not a big deal.

I would take some exception to this characterization of Yacht clubs; I have belonged to two. Both had/have a strong focus on boating. Boating itself tends to be pretty social, nothing wrong with that :)

But suggesting the OP join a club to get some invitations to ride along? Probably not really practical, especially considering joining fees and dues!

For understanding the trawler experience before buying one, I suggest you do as I did and charter a trawler with a captain for 2-3 days out of Sarasota, FL. There's a marina there that has a fleet of about a dozen trawlers and you can hire a captain at a very reasonable price.

For understanding the trawler experience before buying one, I suggest you do as I did and charter a trawler with a captain for 2-3 days out of Sarasota, FL. There's a marina there that has a fleet of about a dozen trawlers and you can hire a captain at a very reasonable price.

He only wants to spend $100

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom