Northernlights Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norell1

Vessel Name
Magic Carpet Grande
Vessel Make
1981 Defever 41T
Having problem bleeding generator (manual pumping is not working), what I have done, new primary filter, new secondary filter, new lifting fuel pump, check fuel tank level 3/4 full, question if lifting pump is on the high lobe of cam will that effect manual pumping for bleeding ? the only thing I haven't done is to take fuel lines off and clean or replace them. any suggestions ? :banghead: It was running fine, then it started acting up like a clogged fuel filter.

Yes, if the pump is on the high side of the lobe the manual primer will do nothing when operated. Bump the engine briefly with the starter then try again.

Also, what do you have for an off-engine filter, and did it start off empty or partly/mostly full after changing it? Just trying to understand if you are filling both filters here, or just one.

Thanks for the input, next step check fuel level primary filter and secondary filters make sure lifting pump is on low lobe of cam see if I can bleed the system, when I did first cleaned primary filter it was very dirty, must be a lot off air in lines new lifting pump and fuel filters, keep you posted Thanks again.

Slow down and start at the beginning.

GO slow and check everything from the fuel tank forward. Make sure you have fuel at each place and hoses until you get to the injectors. :)

SLOW and carefully wins the race.

Last edited:
You might want to open the drain on your lift muffler if you’ve been cranking for a while without a start.

Here is a video. fuel is about 9:45 into the video. However, in the recent class I took, the NL instructor suggested bleeding it from the top of the fuel filter. If not, be very carful using the bleed port on top of the injector pump as it WILL break. If in doubt, call NL. They have excellent Customer service.

Admins!!

Can we please combine the two threads named "Northern Lights"

Thank You

Got it going Thanks all

Started at fuel tank worked my way back to generator, cleaned fuel filter worked way back to generator lifting pump realized that output of fuel was connected to return of generator can’t understand how it ran at all, fixed now, ran for an hour full load, works fine. Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom