No data

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhodewaves

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rhode waves
Vessel Make
Mainship pilot 34
For the last few days I’ve been trying to get my radar to work on my Raymarine E 120, all I get is a no data message, all wire are clean everything else works but no radar. I can’t run a self test and I can’t get the scanner on....any help would be great.

Thank you

Calling them on monday

If I remember the radar cable has a plug on the E120 end and hooks directly into the radome to a terminal block. Have you checked the connections in the radome. Is there 12 volts inside the radome at the terminal block? Does the E120 even see the radome?

I will check the connection tomorrow, not sure if the e120 is communicating with the radar

Going to call them monday

Do you have an open array or radome? I think the radome units of that era are powered via the fat cable that also carries data but that the contemporary open array units had their own power wires, with their own fuse, and often their own power on off switch.

If it is an open array unit, I'd look for that fuse and possibly power switch

Some relatively newer digital units, open array and radome, work with those units via a Seatalk-HS. This almost always involves a SeaTalk-HS network switch that is also powered and may involve a switch or a fuse.

So, if it is digital radar, or you see a SeaTalk-HS switch, or if something like a DSM-200/300 sounder module exists but the fish finder (not simple depth) is also not working, I'd look for a switch and to see if it is powered and everything is connected.

Do you know the model numbers? The software version on the E120? If not, pictures of the units and wiring and screen may help us to help better.

Spoke with raymarine tech support today, after doing several checks they feel I need a new radar card in the plotter . They Refered me to a company that can do it for $395.00. Not sure it worth it can buy used units for $450.00. Anybody have a dead e120 they want to get rid of?

Radar Power Conection

Check the power connections in the radar dome. There are two pairs of 12 volt wires in the cable from the E120 (mine is an E80). Both blacks and reds need to be securely connected in the dome.

In mine the wire strands on one of the reds worked loose/broke, and the high current thru the other pair melted the insulation. Luckily no harm done to the E80 or the radar dome. Needed to refresh the ends, do a reset and reconfigure the radar once I got it re-assembled.

Fundemental problem - the connection in the radome it too small for the twisted strands of the power wires in the Raymarine radar cable. A crimped on "pin connecter" should have been used.

Norlund
2006 Mainship P34 Hardtop
Midland

I’ll try it tomorrow

Thank you

No power to the raydome , checked the wire and it has continueity

Hi Rhodewaves,

How have you determined there is no power to the radome? In other words, at what wires and location, terminal, or component was the + wire measured? Against what -/God reference?

If measured at the two wires at the top, what do the same two wires show at the bottom? And, how and where measured?

I used a multi meter and tested at the terminal block where the wires come into the dome

Go to MENU->System Diagnostics->External Interfaces->Scanners

What output is produced? Can you screen shot or cut and paste? This checks, among other things, loop connectivity on certain wire pairs and 3 voltages.

I think with most firmware you may not need to select Scanners after external interfaces, it'll just walk through the various SeaTalk interfaces, then NMEA interfaces, then Scanners. But, don't hold me to that, you may need to pick Scanners.

Back
Top Bottom