New to Trawler Forum and on a journey to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garpow2026

Hello all!
I am new to this forum and joined as my wife and I are, as I have read multiple times here, one of the many folks looking at finding the right vessel for a cruising lifestyle we have dreamed of and is in front of us to actually make a reality in the next several years. Our plan is to spend the next 24 months or so researching, listening, seeing and experiencing different boats that will fit our planned use: heavy coastal cruising on the east coast, Bahamas and Caribbean excursions as well as limited Great Loop sections and the Great Northern Loop - I don't expect to cross oceans but will venture 'outside' a lot of time so safety, stability, dependability and ease of operation for a couple are critical aspects. The lure of building new is exciting but posts here have me heavily looking at the pre-owned vessel for many reasons posted on several threads and my own experience (not to mention the crazy new build costs!). I have looked at KK, Fleming, Marlow, Selene, Nordhavn 59CP, North Pacific and others. I have owned 3 boats in my life a 32' Formula cruiser, a 29' Hinckley and my latest boat, that I loved, a 2000 Hinckley T44 all were pre-owned and terrific vessels. I sold my last boat a year ago. I learned a lot from overnight and multiple-night trips on the T44. I have a list of desirable traits. 55ish' to no more than 65' LOA - cruise at least 10 knots with some room above that when needed and the list goes on. I have appreciated the tone of most of the folks on TF to the questions asked by us newer folks as I am sure you get the same questions over and over. I will try to mindful and search before asking. Many of the posts seem several years old so I may ask for updated experience or insights on some general topics (in found the KK, Fleming, NordHaven post very helpful). Thanks in advance for your patience and help!

Glad to have you. If I'd had the economic security I do now about 30 years ago, I think I'd be looking at the fine list of vessels you mentioned too. Sounds like FUN. Enjoy and be sure to include us along the way!

Welcome aboard

Recently retired living in Ontario Canada, we too are looking to get back into cruising. The Loop is on our bucket list and we are researching what the best options might be. We want 49 to 55 but with the needed bridge height clearance so under 19 feet for the Loop, lower engine hours, good range and fuel economy at 8/9 knots. At our age, a little comfort is essential. Been looking at Defever as an option or looking for other recommendations. Good luck with your search.

Working on it

Glad to have you. If I'd had the economic security I do now about 30 years ago, I think I'd be looking at the fine list of vessels you mentioned too. Sounds like FUN. Enjoy and be sure to include us along the way!

Well I have tried to save for these days and it will be a stretch. I think the willingness to compromise is critical. Also, as I have gotten older, I have seen the face of so many " I should have done XYX." I have time and a plan and hopefully it all falls into place. I will keep you posted of the process as maybe it helps future hopeful boaters!

Keep me posted

Recently retired living in Ontario Canada, we too are looking to get back into cruising. The Loop is on our bucket list and we are researching what the best options might be. We want 49 to 55 but with the needed bridge height clearance so under 19 feet for the Loop, lower engine hours, good range and fuel economy at 8/9 knots. At our age, a little comfort is essential. Been looking at Defever as an option or looking for other recommendations. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your response. Our journey's sound similar and I will agree that comfort is crucial. Being able to move about and not turn sideways as you sneeze by someone is key. I had to be a yoga master on my last boat to work on the engines and I swore never again. Keep me posted on how you fair. The Defever has a solid following!

Most anyone is biased to their own boats but having owned around 12 boats in my lifetime I think I can say that for the money and size it is hard to beat my Hatteras 48LRC. Fits in a 50 ft slip (finding a slip is often a bigger challenge than the boat in some areas). Also each foot increases your recurring costs which are usually a bigger factor than your purchase price over time.

My marina neighbor next door has a Defever 49. It is a beautiful boat and much to love about it. Engine room is much nicer than mine. But for overall space my unusual 3 stateroom layout suites us with grown "kids" joining on occasion. The downside on the Defever seems to be stability. I can only go by what he tells me as I have never been out on it but it must be very "rolly". He stated that he would not take it out without the stabilizers and in fact when they were out of service it saw no use for months (waiting on parts impacted by the supply chain). So just keep that in mind.

I would start by making the "list" of must haves, nice to haves and don't want. For me the don't want is turbos and the must have is a pilot house. Once you have one most will not go back! Another must have is midship or aft master cabin (Don't like bow locations and V-Berths. Two heads are critical as nothing can end a trip sooner! I like the redundancy of twin engines but would not rule out a single in the right boat. But I have in my career (more than once) had an engine fail and the second got me out of trouble. Anyway get that list started and be sure both partners are aligned on the majority of items.

Perhaps a year from now might be a great time to start making some offers with the economy cooling and many people who rushed out to buy boats and RV's in the pandemic will long for the low maintenance lifestyle of a charter or a hotel room! Some days I put myself in that camp but mostly I love having a boat even with all the effort it takes.

Welcome aboard. Two criteria will limit your options somewhat- The Loop (air draft of 19-feet) and >10 kts.

If you haven't already found KensBlog.com, it's a good read. A serial Nordhavn owner, his current build is a Grand Banks Palm Beach 60 that adapts to lower bridge clearances. His thinking and evolution over the years might be interesting. Plus, he's an excellent and prolific writer.

Good luck and welcome.

Peter

Thanks Ken and Peter, great Info

I will check out the Hatteras 48 and look up Kens Blog.

A lifetime ago we had an old 56 Chris Roamer with 671's when living in Vancouver but after returning to Ontario kept a Marine trader 40 in Sand Key Florida for a few years until kids and work took up all our time and we couldn't get there often enough.
Pilot house is a must and a boat that has ownership history that demonstrates good maintenance equally important.

Thanks again folks
Doug

Economy and boats

Most anyone is biased to their own boats but having owned around 12 boats in my lifetime I think I can say that for the money and size it is hard to beat my Hatteras 48LRC. Fits in a 50 ft slip (finding a slip is often a bigger challenge than the boat in some areas). Also each foot increases your recurring costs which are usually a bigger factor than your purchase price over time.

My marina neighbor next door has a Defever 49. It is a beautiful boat and much to love about it. Engine room is much nicer than mine. But for overall space my unusual 3 stateroom layout suites us with grown "kids" joining on occasion. The downside on the Defever seems to be stability. I can only go by what he tells me as I have never been out on it but it must be very "rolly". He stated that he would not take it out without the stabilizers and in fact when they were out of service it saw no use for months (waiting on parts impacted by the supply chain). So just keep that in mind.

I would start by making the "list" of must haves, nice to haves and don't want. For me the don't want is turbos and the must have is a pilot house. Once you have one most will not go back! Another must have is midship or aft master cabin (Don't like bow locations and V-Berths. Two heads are critical as nothing can end a trip sooner! I like the redundancy of twin engines but would not rule out a single in the right boat. But I have in my career (more than once) had an engine fail and the second got me out of trouble. Anyway get that list started and be sure both partners are aligned on the majority of items.

Perhaps a year from now might be a great time to start making some offers with the economy cooling and many people who rushed out to buy boats and RV's in the pandemic will long for the low maintenance lifestyle of a charter or a hotel room! Some days I put myself in that camp but mostly I love having a boat even with all the effort it takes.

I agree that in a year or so we will see many more boats on the market for just the reasons you shared. Life at full throttle will be back and folks will struggle to get what they thought they would out of their boat. The list is requirements is crucial as the bating world is overwhelming. I have one but should really categorize in must have and nice to have. Good input. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom