The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all!

We are a young family from interior Alaska and have a goal of owning a trawler in the next five years or so. We have so much to learn and this forum seems like a good place to start! Our current boat is a 17 foot river boat we use to navigate the rivers and net chum salmon. The last few summers, we have spent time on a friend’s boat outside of Homer exploring the area and fishing. Those trips have cultivated a strong draw towards the ocean and we feel a trawler is the next step for our family. However, we are aware this is not something one pursues with no experience. We also realize there is an endless financial burden of everything that goes with boat ownership. Over the next five years, we intend to prepare ourselves as much as possible as we work towards our dream.

We are here to learn and look forward to all the wisdom and advice you all have to offer.

Welcome Aboard, I wouldn't look at it as an unending financial burden. Yes, boats can be expensive but the rewards generally outweigh the expenses. Also don't look at yourselves as unexperienced. There is definately a learning curve but any time you have spent boating or on the water gives you a headstart. There is a ton of crossover experience you already have . Things like reading a chart, knowing the weather, boat maintenance, just being on the water.

Good Luck.

pete

Welcome aboard TF.
Don't be discouraged... we all started our boating differently.
We started with a canoe & 2 HP outboard fishing remote rivers & lakes.
Learned we loved our time on the water and found new ways to explore farther and longer and enjoyed it along the way.
Likely have our final retirement boat but who knows??

Welcome aboard, You already have some experience and time on the water brings more. You'll be fine. Is the Salty Dawg still out at the end of Homer Spit?

Welcome - Do you have idea of boat size and accommodations you desire? Number of berths [beds]? One or two heads? Stall shower? Galley up or down? Want twin or single engine? Flying bridge? Gasoline or diesel? A Dinette? One or two pilot stations...

List what you want before wasting time looking without knowing [at least have some sort of plan to head toward]. And, think about what type of use as well as how much use you plan to have the boat experience.

What length boat??

Enjoy! - Art

Last edited:
Yeah, welcome!

I'm an old geezer that started on a 10 foot inflatable that I car topped to the river with the outboard in the trunk - :) Ah, the early days.

Good luck and have fun!

Nice, I lived on the Kenai Peninsula in Seward and Homer for 25ish years. Our goal is to buy a trawler there eventually, explore for a couple years then start a slow trip south.
If you come on any trawlers that are not for you on the peninsula, I may be interested. Hard to do much dock walking from here in Vermont.

Hello all!

We are a young family from interior Alaska and have a goal of owning a trawler in the next five years or so. We have so much to learn and this forum seems like a good place to start! Our current boat is a 17 foot river boat we use to navigate the rivers and net chum salmon. The last few summers, we have spent time on a friend’s boat outside of Homer exploring the area and fishing. Those trips have cultivated a strong draw towards the ocean and we feel a trawler is the next step for our family. However, we are aware this is not something one pursues with no experience. We also realize there is an endless financial burden of everything that goes with boat ownership. Over the next five years, we intend to prepare ourselves as much as possible as we work towards our dream.

We are here to learn and look forward to all the wisdom and advice you all have to offer.

A house is an endless financial burden too (IMO).

I am currently in Mexico on my 30' trawler, from the Kenai area. I am guessing you are either in Fairbanks or one of the tiny remote roadside communities. Driving to Valdez and checking out the boats is a good place to start from there, and PWS is a good place to get some experience before jumping in with both feet. Trawlers are slow, so you need to have the time to be able to enjoy them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom