New Member/Owner of A Deer Island Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No-regrets

Hello Fellow Trawlers,

I decided to take the plunge when my kids moved out and left me a empty nester and buy a Trawler and a all wooden boat. This boat is in Texas and seems to catch the wind real easy. I am a novice to anything over 19 feet and this Trawler is double that. is a 1976 Deer Island Trawler and I just moved into it and started to scrap, sand, paint, or stain , and clear coat depending on what service I am working with. I picked her over a plank boat so I do not have to worry about stuffing the planks regularly. There is much history with this boat as well. I was told Admiral Greer owned her at one time. That he took it around the islands? I am amazed a single screw trawler can traverse to the islands. If that's true maybe after I master her I may try that one day?

I have only owner her for a month and decided on a name and a personal name for her. There is so much to her I am trying to comprehend. I am brand new to diesel engine as well so there is so much to learn. I do not have any pictures atm but will post some of her soon.

I'm amazed of all the books, maps, information that came with this boat and learn more everyday. I was told that you could even put back on the mast that came with this boat for some type of small sail? I am not sure what that does or for though?

Anyway I am a novice like I said any help or knowledge is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new boat. Please post some pictures.

Ted

DsharkgSZbYnzWvA6

Cool, Nice boat

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the all wooden boats... She has great lines...

I can see why you bought her..:thumb::thumb:

Welcome.

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love the all wooden boats... She has great lines...

I can see why you bought her..:thumb::thumb:

Welcome.

Thank you.

I want to learn off of her and master her, then hopefully take her down to the coast. I was thinking of joining the USCG AUX here at our lake to learn more as well.

I was told this is a blue water boat, so does that mean coastal?

I don"t think this will be my last Trawler, but I do want to learn what I do like and do not like and later get another Trawler.

Back
Top Bottom