New Member - Hello to all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

footballfetch

Thanks for the add! Longtime dreamer of the cruiser way of travel.

Can't wait to read through the threads and consume as much info as possible!!

I do have one question to start. My wife is interested as well but brought up a good point - is there a way to 'try it out' for a week or so to see if it is something we would like without having to purchase the boat first (it's good to have a more reasonable counterpart sometimes :)). So I suppose there are options to charter a boat tour for a few days to get a feel of the lifestyle right? I am in NC so anything from Virginia down to SC for a touring option is fine.

I have a boat now and fish quite a bit - 22ft - so moving to this size boat will take time. I plan to invest in training captain time for sure.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being an information sponge!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I don’t have any experience with them but there is a place in Florida, maybe Southwest Florida or something like that, that charters trawlers.

Welcome aboard. One comment I would make is that Charter boats are usually maintained with an open check book. A week on a charter SHOULD be flawless without incident.
If you take the leap of faith and buy a boat you need to understand that "sometimes" things happen and the comfort zone of you and your crew will be tested. Ex: Think about how you or your crew would respond to an engine stalling as you pull into a crowded port at sunset?
Captains or knowledgeable friends are a great help.
I personally have no regrets, but I am on my fifth boat over 40 yrs on the water.

Good points. I am more interested in the experience of living on the boat for a week or whatever more than anything. As a boat owner I know plan for everything but expect something new to happen enough times that you are always on alert.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like an excellent approach.

Back
Top Bottom