New leak between twin disc bell housing and JD Engine block - how worried should I be!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stonechamps

Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
Bruckmann 50
We are in Hoonah AK and after long run from Glacier Bay to here discovered modest new ATF leak that appears to be from the gasket where the transmission bolts on to the engine...do I watch and monitor, add some sealant additive (recommendations?) or do I schedule travel lift here in Hoonah and replace the gasket (assuming I can get replacements and find someone more competent than me to install)?

Believe primary sealing is provided by transmission shaft seal but don't have exploded parts diagram on hand. Hopefully someone else can provide.

As mentioned above, what you're probably seeing is a leak on the input shaft of the transmission. I've never seen a transmission housing sealed to the engine. Usually the space in between the engine and transmission is a dry space with a damper plate to absorb shock while shifting.

Don't add a sealant to the transmission. The first thing I would do is determine how much fluid you've lost. An ounce an hour is probably manageable till you get some place where the transmission can be pulled. If it's the front seal, you're probably pulling the transmission out of the boat. If you can get a pan under the transmission, I would monitor and catch the leaked fluid, but don't put it back in. Probably want to buy a few quarts of fluid if you plan to keep moving.

Ted

I am just across from you in Hoonah. I can discuss some options in SE. Depending on space you might be able to pull the transmission without hauling the boat, have the seal replaced and back in the same day.

Tom

I am just across from you in Hoonah. I can discuss some options in SE. Depending on space you might be able to pull the transmission without hauling the boat, have the seal replaced and back in the same day.

Tom
Tom - thanks for this - happy to yak whenever you have a moment 415-902-1819

Back
Top Bottom