New boat, need some check list ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Planobilly

Veteran Member
I guess you can call it a fast trawler, well, if 16kts is considered fast...lol.
It is a 38-foot Osmond Downeast. 500 HP Yanmar, single screw.

Here is a link to the photos and description.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-h-h-marine-38-osmond-8741962/

I have been away from single screw boats for a long time.

There are lots of systems to deal with.

Has anyone developed a checklist of critical issues that need to be checked daily or weekly?

Thanks,

Billy

Nice lobster boat, Billy. But I don't understand, did you already buy it or are you considering it?

I am closing on the boat next week. This has been a bit of a complicated situation.

I have a 28 Contender. I have a house in Marathon with a 35-foot dock. We have been wanting a larger boat for some time. The pandemic delayed things. I have the house up for sale because the dock is too small. I have rented another dock a few blocks away. There are a couple of houses for sale with seventy feet of dock space that we like. I just need to get the house sold.

I am 76 and not getting any younger...lol I have owned a 42-foot sailboat in years past, which is the only single-screw diesel boat I have operated. I had a 53 Hatterass years ago but never liked the boat much.

So...I am a little nervous about how to deal with this boat with all the potential issues involved. There are 2500 hrs on the 500 HP Yanmar and I don't know exactly what to expect from this engine.

I got the Contender new in 2012 and have put around 2000 hours on the boat fishing. It has Twin 250 HP Yamaha, which are running fine, but I will repower with 300 HP engines soon.

I have more time now and expect to be able to spend more time on the boat both in Florida and the Bahamas.

I am a commercial pilot. Guys like me like to have their "ducks" lined up...lol A checklist is standard with aircraft. Also, as I get older I find it harder to remember things.

The boat has a bow thruster and it is currently in a very confined slip with a 100-foot yacht that I have to back down on within six feet or so. No single screw experience in a zillion years so that should be really fun...lol

The boat is a couple of days away from my new dock so I am sure there will be some challenges to deal with. My fishing buddy will go with me to get the boat home so at least I don't have to deliver it alone.

I can go on the outside in the ocean or in the ditch if it is really windy. We normally have good weather this time of year. Baring and major engine failure, the trip should be uneventful.

I guess I am just wishing for the days when I was ten foot tall and bullet proff...lol

Don't ever get old...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Am with you, also a pilot and just like you i like my check lists. We both grew up with them and it has worked for us all our lives, so why change it ?

I made a checklist that fits with my boat and the area we are sailing in, but I found this guy who published his checklist, perhaps you can use it and adjust it. I think someone here on the forum posted it a while ago.

https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/category/boat-operations/day-of-travel-procedures/

Fine looking yacht Billy! There is a nice article in Soundings this (or last) month that talks about the "Beal's" and their history. https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/the-pioneers

I would modify your pilots check list as you go along. Treat the boat just like you would your aircraft.

Good luck with that boat! They don't come much nicer!

Am with you, also a pilot and just like you i like my check lists. We both grew up with them and it has worked for us all our lives, so why change it ?

I made a checklist that fits with my boat and the area we are sailing in, but I found this guy who published his checklist, perhaps you can use it and adjust it. I think someone here on the forum posted it a while ago.

https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/category/boat-operations/day-of-travel-procedures/

Thank you ever so much. Just from the first glance, there is a lot of useful information. I am beginning to read through all the stuff you posted.

I most likely developed some not-so-good habits during my sailboat years. I was young and not so well-informed. Thousands of hours of solo sailing all over the world. You live and learn.

Now other people depend on me so I have the responsibility for their lives, friends, family, and employees.

The engine room camera looked like a really good idea.

So, thanks again. This will be a good starting point.

Billy

Fine looking yacht Billy! There is a nice article in Soundings this (or last) month that talks about the "Beal's" and their history. https://www.soundingsonline.com/features/the-pioneers

I would modify your pilots check list as you go along. Treat the boat just like you would your aircraft.

Good luck with that boat! They don't come much nicer!

Thank you Carl.

I enjoyed the read. I did not do a lot of research. I knew from the first time I saw one of these Maine boats that was what I wanted.

After a few thousand hours on the ocean, I think almost everyone understands how a boat of this sort will behave.

Thanks again.

Billy

I guess you can call it a fast trawler, well, if 16kts is considered fast...lol.
It is a 38-foot Osmond Downeast. 500 HP Yanmar, single screw.

Here is a link to the photos and description.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-h-h-marine-38-osmond-8741962/

I have been away from single screw boats for a long time.

There are lots of systems to deal with.

Has anyone developed a checklist of critical issues that need to be checked daily or weekly?

Thanks,

Billy

Your checkbook

So I scanned through some of the above.
I would recommend checking oil and transmission fluid before every voyage while in your engine room check for leaks or any staining.
Check and fill batteries with distilled water every month or sooner since you are in FL.
Run your generator at least once a month and under load.
Get a diver or a lift to scrap / powerwash your bottom and check zincs every 4 months. While in FL I had a diver go scrape every month in the winter time (Oct to Apr) I hear more often in the summer months.
Run your boat - 2 or 3 times a year at WOT for 20 mins or so to clear out any carbon and to get your boat under heavy load.
Make sure your EPIRB is not expired, check your fire extinguishers, hose clamps or any surface that can rust, check your navigation lights and anchor lights every few months.
Check your bilge pumps and turn off your water pump for extended periods for any hose breakage and flooding.
Check and exercise your seacocks so when you need them they are not frozen. Check any raw water screens every few months for deterioration.
Have fun and enjoy the boat...

When I first read your initial post, I thought you were inquiring about operational checklists such as getting underway, anchoring, entering port, etc. But then I thought about your single screw and engine comments. So, now I THINK you are interested in the "whole schmear."

Coming from the surface Navy, I can identify with operational checklists as well as maintenance plans - note the difference of "checklist" versus "plan." Within any good maintenance plan there are a potential myriad of checklists for the individual maintenance actions, and those and their frequency, of course, come from the equipment manuals.

Considering the delivery of the new-to-you boat, one of the most frequently heard problems here over the years seems to be fuel delivery problems, AKA, clogged filters, especially if the vessel gets rocked about a bit. Carry spares and know how to change them and then reprime the system.

I used to own a 42-foot Grand Banks, and when I first got it, I was still on active duty and spent a few minutes thinking about the underway, mooring, storm mooring, and heavy weather checklist idea, I even committed them to e-files and may have actually printed one or two, but I soon realized that the mental exercise in creating them was sufficient to commit them to memory. Checking steering and throttle and gear shifters and ensuring all shore connections were clear before backing out of the slip seemed to be simple enough for me once I had looked in the bilge to ensure we weren't sinking. Engine oil and coolant levels were always checked after mooring the boat.

If you have not been shipmates with a bow thruster before, they can cure a lot of ills in shiphandling a single-screw vessel. I commanded a single-screw vessel in the Navy and would have killed for a BT. You can use it as a rudder when backing down a long distance.

So...I am a little nervous about how to deal with this boat with all the potential issues involved. There are 2500 hrs on the 500 HP Yanmar and I don't know exactly what to expect from this engine.

I am a commercial pilot. Guys like me like to have their "ducks" lined up...lol A checklist is standard with aircraft. Also, as I get older I find it harder to remember things.

Cheers,

Billy

Suggestion - Don't worry about the 2nd key. You did not forget it. It was never there! :)

On the bottom of the check list, pencil in "Have Fun"

When I first read your initial post, I thought you were inquiring about operational checklists such as getting underway, anchoring, entering port, etc. But then I thought about your single screw and engine comments. So, now I THINK you are interested in the "whole schmear."

Coming from the surface Navy, I can identify with operational checklists as well as maintenance plans - note the difference of "checklist" versus "plan." Within any good maintenance plan there are a potential myriad of checklists for the individual maintenance actions, and those and their frequency, of course, come from the equipment manuals.

Considering the delivery of the new-to-you boat, one of the most frequently heard problems here over the years seems to be fuel delivery problems, AKA, clogged filters, especially if the vessel gets rocked about a bit. Carry spares and know how to change them and then reprime the system.

I used to own a 42-foot Grand Banks, and when I first got it, I was still on active duty and spent a few minutes thinking about the underway, mooring, storm mooring, and heavy weather checklist idea, I even committed them to e-files and may have actually printed one or two, but I soon realized that the mental exercise in creating them was sufficient to commit them to memory. Checking steering and throttle and gear shifters and ensuring all shore connections were clear before backing out of the slip seemed to be simple enough for me once I had looked in the bilge to ensure we weren't sinking. Engine oil and coolant levels were always checked after mooring the boat.

If you have not been shipmates with a bow thruster before, they can cure a lot of ills in shiphandling a single-screw vessel. I commanded a single-screw vessel in the Navy and would have killed for a BT. You can use it as a rudder when backing down a long distance.

Bow thruster was the first upgrade I did to my boat. It was one of the best decisions I've made.

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks for all the feedback. Mako, the 53 Hatt was too big, cost too much money, burned too much fuel, and was a true pain to move out of the slip and to the fuel dock and return by myself.

As I read the checklist suggestions, everything is becoming clearer. The survey is on Monday but I really only need the survey for the insurance company. The boat was surveyed by a well-known professional a month ago and I do not expect any change.

I went to the boat the day before yesterday and made a list of issues and had the owner go over everything with me.

I bought engine oil, trans oil, engine coolant, two sets of Raycore filters for the engine, and the Gen set. There are duel filters so they can be changed with the boat running. I operated every through hull valve in the boat and checked every float switch. I got all new CG-required flares and a second spare horn. There are a good many spares on the boat such as a raw water pump impeller. I have a complete set of tools and a small air compressor for the boat. I bought a spare raw water inlet hose.

I put together a professional first-aid kit in a waterproof container. If you break your arm on the boat I can fix it. If you have a massive coronary you are going to die...lol I am well-trained in trauma medicine. I am well-trained in security issues. Grew up on a ranch in Texas. I had a gun before I had a real pair of boots...lol

It is hot as hell here in Florida, so the Gen set will get a good workout. I will fuel the boat after the sea trial on Monday. The tanks were pumped out and cleaned, and the fuel was polished last month. Spair VHF and a sat phone.

We have some tropical weather issues which could delay the Friday departure date. I have run a lot of miles on radar in dense fog, but I have no intention of having to deal with bad weather with a new, untested boat. I have a CG 100 Ton Masters with radar endorsement. I am just not current in this type of boat.

I see some of you don't want to leave the dock with T-storms but there is no getting around that issue here in south Florida in the summer. Yes, I have had the wind blow fifty or sixty kts and the sea pick up to six or seven feet in a few minutes running the Contender. I like to fish in remote places far from the dock and occasionally getting caught in dangerous weather is a reality I am well prepared to deal with.

I have owned a few twin-engine aircraft, and there was always a checklist. Due to the fact I flew by myself a lot I always took a look at the checklist even if I did not check off each item as I would do with a co-pilot using cockpit resource management techniques.

The checklist for the boat is becoming more important as I get older and forgetful. Somewhere around seventy memory issues became apparent. It is not unmanageable but requires being managed.

During the pandemic, I fished from the Contender alone. Better to fall overboard and die than die from COVID-19...lol It does get a bit scarier as I get older.

Well, I am not a kid any longer and there are no more single-handed trans-Atlantic crossings in my future. I will tell you I am going to live till the day I die and I am darn sure not going to sit around drinking whiskey and watching TV.

The marine environment is unforgiving and like flying aircraft will kill you if you don't keep things in order. I think I have most everything under control. Just writing this post has helped to jog my memory.

Truthfully, I am very much looking forward to a boat with an air-conditioner and a coffee pot...lol

Thanks to all of you,

Billy

On the Bow thruster issue.

There is a Bow thruster on the boat. Super convenient stuff. I certainly do not want to become dependent on it. There is just no substitute for skilled single-screw boat handling skills. I am glad it is there but something about Murphy's law comes to mind...lol

Billy

Inspection

Suggest you have your inspector include an oil sample test on the main and generator and don't accept the boat until you have the results. If the Yanmare has 2,500hrs did the owner perform the 2,000hr. maintenance work and can he show receipts?

John T.

I have an oil sample test from three months ago for the engine, and Gen set. It is pretty meaningless as there is no prior oil analysis. No paperwork on the 2000-hour inspection has been presented, but I will inquire on Monday when I meet with the broker and survey person.

There has been recent work done on the engine. A new turbocharger was installed, and cleaning of the heat exchanger. There are no unusual temps I have found with a laser temp gauge, and the temp is stable when running at all RPMs and at max RPM. No unusual noise or vibrations. I did not do a compression check because there were no signs of engine issues.

There are some known issues with the aftercooler on this model Yanmar. There is no way to repair the issue and a new aftercooler is about 4K. I have in mind to change it before it fails because of the danger of damaging the engine.

I own and operate several diesel engines and have a pretty good feel for the subject. I don't have a crystal ball...lol

If the engine were to fail, my intent is to replace it with a new John Deer if I can make it fit. I have been wanting this model of boat for some time and the price was really good so I am not very worried about anything.

At my age, the engine may well outlast me...lol

Thanks,

Billy

Last edited:
The aftercoolers on my engines look like they were never serviced. Cummins assembles them dry without any lube. So I couldn’t get the cores out of the housings. I bought one new complete aftercooler, $5K. Then i had a machine shop press out the core on the old one. It took 13 tons of pressure to get the core out. Fortunately the housing looks ok. I will order a new core and then put the rebuilt aftercooler on the other engine. The core is only $2,400. What a deal! My concern was that if the aftercooler goes then I would be rebuilding the engine which would be way more expensive.

I have never owned a Yanmar in a marine engine. I have a couple of old Yanmar tractors with about a zillion hours...lol

In reading up on this engine it has been said that this is an issue. Being a single-screw boat at least I only have one to deal with. What I have read is that the problem revolves around the materials used and I assume electrolytic crossion.

As there is the possibility of getting water in the engine if the aftercooler fails, it seems only prudent to change the darn thing whatever it costs.

I hope I can keep this engine running. I am not rebuilding it. A new engine like I want probably is around seventy thousand.

Well, boats are cheaper than airplanes and airplanes are cheaper than divorices...lol
So it is best to keep everything running well!

Billy

I have a pair of those same yanmar engines of a similar vintage and they have been excellent. There are 12 anodes in each engine, including 6 in the aftercoolers. If they have been changed regularly then all should be well in the heat exchangers. Maintenance records will give an indication. I have had mine apart to check and service.

Back
Top Bottom