MT34 Dual Cabin Shaft Log Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a hard time convincing the Admiral that this was more important than a trip around the world.
At the yard I saw boats that required repairs that cost more than $100K. Even small sailboats that need costly upgrades that exceeded the value of the craft. Boaters are a generous bunch when it comes to fixing their floating pleasure.

What I found was the expected delaminated fiberglass tabbing the floor tie/stuffing box thart frame. I found the casting for the stuffing box was thru bolted and every bolt was spinning in the rotted floor tie. I attacked this with a combination of Fein saw and chisel and hammer to get the floor tie and delaminated fiberglass removed. It was immeaditly visible that I in fact had a hole in the shaft log. At this point it appears that the hole is caused by having the engine/shaft alignment too high causing the shaft to wear a slot in the shaft log. View attachment 75443View attachment 75444

View attachment 75442
Hi! I'm going to have to do the log replacement on a 40 sundeck. I was wondering if the part that holds the bearing in the tube behind the coupler, i think lag bolts hold it to the keel, and once i get that far, can i just unscrew the flange from the shaft tube, log, i;m not sure of the right name yet, and will probably forget as soon as i find out, and if it's like a stuck bolt, unscrew it a few turns protect the face with some hardwood, and hit it with a small sledge to get it to break free? Or am i over or under thinking it? thanks, Doug.

More progress pictures. New shaft log install completed. Now to start putting everything else back together that was removed for this task.View attachment 76342View attachment 76343
Sorry Josh! This is the part i meant, i think mine only has 2 lag bolts holding it to the keel. does that plate screw onto the tube until it tightens up to the keel after the propshaft housing in the stern is bolted to the back of the boat? I can see the parts off, and back on, but wondered how.

Tough sledding. I had to replace my 2" stainless shafts on my 43 OA many years ago because boat had not been run in a year (prior owner). Packing could not seal because shaft pitting at only that location would eat the packing in a few hours. $20,000 repair in 2004 +/-
I'm a great believer in the PSS shaft seal as there's no packing so no pitting on the shaft if its unused for long periods, and of course no trouble repacking and greasing either.
I have mine fitted for 15 years and apart from periodic visual checks its untouched.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom