Moving boat from Stuart to Jacksonville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I have AIS. What’s up?

Going to add you to Marine Traffic to see how you're doing.

Ok cool.

So windy today, and I forgot how damn long it takes to go 65 miles on the ICW! [emoji30]

We are ready for happy hour on the boat. Also have some steaks thawing, and my chef son (non-pro) to cook them!
[emoji485][emoji483]?

Bill: Have you made Melbourne yet? Tomorrow when you go through the Mosquito Lagoon at least the wind should be on your beam and there should be no mosquitos. At least that’s what the forecast says. :rolleyes:

The last Marine Traffic update was three and a half hours ago at Britt Point. Where ever the heck that is!

The last Marine Traffic update was three and a half hours ago at Britt Point. Where ever the heck that is!

That’s the work yard where my boat was.

Bill: Have you made Melbourne yet? Tomorrow when you go through the Mosquito Lagoon at least the wind should be on your beam and there should be no mosquitos. At least that’s what the forecast says. :rolleyes:

I’ve got the bridge in view. Maybe another 30 min or so.

Yeah I don’t think the skeeters can fly in this wind. lol.

Pink rum time. “Rum”. [emoji30]

Had a little bit left. Waste not want not!

(Damn, it’s really is bad)

IMG_8506.jpg

Last edited:
The infamous pink rum...

This might be the IPR’s final swan song. Maybe I’ll put a note in a ziplock bag then put it inside the bottle with the rest of the rum so some lucky soul can discover it.

What should the note say?

There y'all are!

Attachments

• Bijou.jpg
    Bijou.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 74
This might be the IPR’s final swan song. Maybe I’ll put a note in a ziplock bag then put it inside the bottle with the rest of the rum so some lucky soul can discover it.

'Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.'

Not everything that is pink inside is good to eat. :rolleyes:

Ted

So I’m cruising along, wind blowing 25knots, kind of whining about some big sport fish boat just waking me, and I see this little guy coming towards me. The boat was taking the chop pretty damn well!

Life is what you make it!

https://youtu.be/YbzIFHt4qfU

In the Melbourne area, there's decent anchoring just north of the Eau Gallie Causeway (the second causeway you'll come to - the first is the Melbourne Causeway). Go under the causeway, proceed a hundred yards or so, then turn to starboard. You'll be pointing at the Eau Gallie Yacht Basin, a small marina where we kept our boat before we left for the Caribbean. Immediately to the north of it is where the Banana River joins the Indian River (the ICW), and that whole area there (known as Dragon Point, for the old dragon sculpture on the point) is not a bad place to drop the hook for a night. Bonus: you'll almost certainly have dolphins swimming around your boat!

I would suggest that you read www.fleetwing.Blogspot.Com. The man who posts there travels the ICW, between New York and Key West. His name is Bob Scherer and us probably one of the most knowledgeable people on the subject of the ICW. He posts updated routes thru the shallow spots and can give you good input on anchorages along the way.

Have you considered leaving your boat at Indiantown Marina up the St. Lucy waterway from Stuart? Its well inland, and upstream from a lock that prevents tidal surge. Lots of people leave their board there for hurricane season.

Check out www. Indiantownmarina. Com.

We travel those waters frequently.
Stuart to Melbourne 65, think you can anchor off MLB harbor.
MLB Titusville 60, TIV has anchorage by marina and moorings.
MLB New Smyrna 74 anchor in alternate channel or go on to Rockhouse creek by Ponce Inlet.maybe 80- or anchor after Mosqueto Lagoon in Edgewater area.
NSB to Palm Coast 44 miles, marina has face dock overnights.
PC to Palm Cove, much better than Beach 56
PCove to Ortega 33 check current and try to go with - 2-3 Kn makes a difference.

We did TIV to PCoast one, 75 miles, lots of wake zones, long day.

Matsanzas inlet recently dredged, well marked, Atlantic Blvd in JAX can really rip, and ICY St Johns moves, forget chart or plotter, but well marked.

Have a safe trip, Ortega is one of the best in N FL.

My suggestion would be to make the trip non-stop on the outside during good weather.

Far fewer hazards (both health and navigation) much more relaxing, etc.

Consider a third crew member to facilitate reasonable watch schedule. It will take fewer days.

This presumed adequate range of fuel. If you are less experienced you could pick up a captain to help.

I see you're coming up towards Palm Valley. What's your plan for a stopping place tonight or are you going to try to get to Ortega today?

Trying to make it to Ortega. On the St. John’s now. Any instructions how to get in the Ortega River? Looks shallow?

Just follow the chart I sent a few days ago, you'll be fine. Watch the crab pots!

Oh yeah I see that chart now. Thanks. Forgot you sent that.

I posted the instructions in post #34:

The local knowledge for the Ortega River is to line up your boat with the red and white striped radio tower on the Ortega side and the southernmost of the three radio towers on the west side of the St John’s. This will keep you in the deepest water. The bottom is very thick soft mud and is very forgiving: I draw just over 5’ and I always leave a brown wake just before I turn left towards the bridge. at low tide. At high tide we slip right through, once you turn towards the bridge it’s gets deeper and stays that way from there to past the railroad bridge and Huckins. Call the bridge master as you come around the corner and you probably won’t have to even slow down: he is very accommodating

He has made the turn off the St John's and is headed for the barn! :)

Well done sir, all tied up near the pool and engines off! :)

Welcome home, dude!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom