Moving boat from Stuart to Jacksonville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
One of my sons and I are going to make the drive from Texas to Stuart to move the boat up to Jacksonville next week Monday. She is sitting at the very basic and unprotected boatyard marina where I got the mast replaced, and that’s not where I want to leave her during hurricane season. We have a slip arranged at the Marina at Ortega Landing.

I’m a pretty big covid19 worrier, so our plan is to drive non stop (other than for gas) to Stuart, about 18 hours. We will bring our own food for the drive and for provisioning for the boat trip so we won’t have to visit any grocery stores in Stuart. We have been using our local H-E-B curbside service so have not been inside a store in 8 weeks or so. We won’t go inside any gas stations, bathrooms, restaurants, etc.

Menzies posted up this itinerary back when he offered to do the move for me. I was wondering if I could do the trip because of my appendix fiasco, but I seem to be healed up now.

“10 hour days, 6kts motoring - 60 km per day.

Stuart is at MM ~985.

Day one end ~ 925. - anchor around Melbourne MM 918.

Day two end around MM 860 is a bit trickier as that run takes you to the more open mosquito lagoon anchorages, or stop short at Titusville. Can anchor by the mooring balls there.

Day three, Absolutely Palm coast Marina at MM 803.

Day four, Palm Cove Marina or Beach Marine in JAX Beach at MM 747.

Day five, Ortega Landing or other marina depending on where you have booked.”

I would like to skip marinas on the way up to Jacksonville and just anchor out if possible to increase our social distancing. Any good anchor spots to sub the marinas on this itinerary?

Also, I was reading an old thread (from 2018 I think) about the approach from the ICW to the St Johns River being tricky. Something about the removal of a jetty and lots of current and the charts being off and confusing markers. Is that’s still the case?

We are renting a car from Enterprise here Victoria and will turn it in at Stuart. Will wipe it down and fumigate and leave it out in the sun to hopefully disinfect it before we start our trip. Will rent a car in Jax to return home, and also disinfect it well, hopefully. This saves me having to return to Stuart, and my old Tahoe with 175k miles kind of worries me. In normal times I would take it, but if I break down during all this Covid mess that opens up too many cans of worms.

The main reason I don’t want to infect myself (other than I don’t want to get sick!) is that my wife takes care of her dad and he’s not in great health, so I can’t afford to infect her.

I just realized I made all these plans without checking the weather in Florida. Hoping that since staying inside on the ICW I will be OK?

Edit: just check the weather and looks like rain almost every day next week. Oh well, guess I can check for mast leaks after the repair. [emoji30]

Last edited:
You’ll have a great trip!
Sail only during the day.
Stick to the channel markers.
Turn into the St. John’s is newly marked. Follow the cans and day marks.

Drop the hook when you can’t see.

Oh, don’t press your time line.

We have a slip arranged at the Marina at Ortega Landing.

Also, I was reading an old thread (from 2018 I think) about the approach from the ICW to the St Johns River being tricky. Something about the removal of a jetty and lots of current and the charts being off and confusing markers. Is that’s still the case?

Great marina -- we really enjoyed our time there!

We ended up not going south to St. Augustine as we left, but I did a fair amount of research on that since that had been our plan at the time. The intersection is newly marked, buds who went through there said it was straightforward, just honor the marks.

Pay attention as you approach the Ortega River. Follow the St. Johns markers until you can see you'll have depth to enter the Ortega. If you try to cut straight across, i.e., too soon, it gets too shallow in there.

-Chris

Just looked at my Aquamap nav software on my iPad and this is what's shown entering the St Johns river. I don't see a 3# and #4 can?. IMG_0348.jpg

Great marina -- we really enjoyed our time there!

We ended up not going south to St. Augustine as we left, but I did a fair amount of research on that since that had been our plan at the time. The intersection is newly marked, buds who went through there said it was straightforward, just honor the marks.

Pay attention as you approach the Ortega River. Follow the St. Johns markers until you can see you'll have depth to enter the Ortega. If you try to cut straight across, i.e., too soon, it gets too shallow in there.

-Chris

This is what my chart shows in that area. It does look shallow. I draw 4'. IMG_0349.jpg

Went through the ICW-St John's intersection three times this week. You will be fine if you honor the marks. They do slalom to the west near the sea wall then back out. Just go between the reds and greens.

Entering the Ortega from the St John's. Go past marker #2. You will see the white shoal sign directly east of the marker. That shoal is to the north of your track. Continue on for a couple of hundred yards until you nearly due east of the Ortega River mouth. Then head for it. You should have eight feet all the way, the bottom is flat all the way along.

As you approach the mouth of the Ortega you will take a slight curve to the north, then swinging into the river. Hail the Ortega River drawbridge on nine as you approach. Keep a good eye out for crab pots between #2 and the river, especially if you are heading into a setting sun.

I am going down to Sonas shortly and will take pics of my breadcrumbs in both areas.

Last edited:
Went through the ICW-St John's intersection three times this week. You will be fine if you honor the marks. They do slalom to the west near the sea wall then back out. Just go between the reds and greens.

Entering the Ortega from the St John's. Go past marker #2. You will see the white shoal sign directly east of the marker. That shoal is to the north of your track. Continue on for a couple of hundred yards until you nearly due east of the Ortega River mouth. Then head for it. You should have eight feet all the way, the bottom is flat all the way along.

As you approach the mouth of the Ortega you will take a slight curve to the north, then swinging into the river. Hail the Ortega River drawbridge on nine as you approach. Keep a good eye out for crab pots between #2 and the river, especially if you are heading into a setting sun.

I am going down to Sonas shortly and will take pics of my breadcrumbs in both areas.

Thanks so much!

I left Stuart from "Hogs cove" and anchored at the Melbourne Causeway. It's about 65 nautical miles. At your speed, tidal currents at Stuart and Fort Pierce can add or subtract time. Not a lot of protected options between Vero Beach and Melbourne. Vero Beach moorings are good and protected. Don't know if they will let you skip the mandatory pump out and office check in. The anchorages just before Vero Beach MM 953 are ok, but close to the channel, so rocky till after dark.

Titusville moorings was my next stop to see a friend and grocery shop. You can complete the transaction over the phone. With a Boatus card it's under $20. Mooring field can be a little rocky depending on wind direction.

2 other anchorages I use before Palm Coast are Rockhouse Creek at MM 842 next to Ponce De Leon inlet and north of the Seabreeze Blvd bridge in Daytona MM 829. Rockhouse is more protected but can be full with 5 or 6 boats. Seabreeze is fine except in a strong North wind.

If you stay at Seabreeze, Pine Island South Anchorage MM 765 is less than 60 nautical miles. Anchor in the bottom of the Ox Bow. One of my favorite anchorages. You should be able to reach Ortega landing from their.

Ted

That chart is accurate.

The new jetties and corresponding approaches are much better.

The work is done. Occasionally they move the green cans if there’s shoaling.

As I said, take it with daylight, watch the markers, and it’s easy.

I was through there and back this past January.

Follow the chart on the Ortega entrance even though the day marks are missing.

I generally come at it just to the south of being able to see the river.

I left Stuart from "Hogs cove" and anchored at the Melbourne Causeway. It's about 65 nautical miles. At your speed, tidal currents at Stuart and Fort Pierce can add or subtract time. Not a lot of protected options between Vero Beach and Melbourne. Vero Beach moorings are good and protected. Don't know if they will let you skip the mandatory pump out and office check in. The anchorages just before Vero Beach MM 953 are ok, but close to the channel, so rocky till after dark.

Titusville moorings was my next stop to see a friend and grocery shop. You can complete the transaction over the phone. With a Boatus card it's under $20. Mooring field can be a little rocky depending on wind direction.

2 other anchorages I use before Palm Coast are Rockhouse Creek at MM 842 next to Ponce De Leon inlet and north of the Seabreeze Blvd bridge in Daytona MM 829. Rockhouse is more protected but can be full with 5 or 6 boats. Seabreeze is fine except in a strong North wind.

If you stay at Seabreeze, Pine Island South Anchorage MM 765 is less than 60 nautical miles. Anchor in the bottom of the Ox Bow. One of my favorite anchorages. You should be able to reach Ortega landing from their.

Ted

Awesome. Thanks so much Ted. That gives me lots of options.

One other note:
The Atlantic Blvd bridge at MM 744 has a funnel effect. The river necks down to go through the bridge boat span. At peak flows, currents can exceed 3 knots under the bridge. If the current is opposing, be prepared (I have the bow thruster ready for a quick shove).

Ted

I do NOT believe the posted chart to be accurate....at least not since the fall.......doesn't matter. As stated, just follow the navaids.

The last several years, I have anchored just south of the NASA railroad bridge just north of Titusville. Good protection from north and east once tucked in...but a hump at the beginning does come up to 5-6 feet. Never bumped in 8 times in/out with 4 foot draft.If calmer, like Ted mentioned, the mooring balls would be fine.

Also as Ted mentioned, the current under the Atl. Blvd Bridge can be tricky/fast. After leaving Pine Island oxbow, it can be a long slog if fighting Pablo creek current the whole way. One of the few offshore runs I have made is the St Johns/St Augustine because it's short, the ICW is close to the ocean at St Aug and the current in Pablo Creek.

I do NOT believe the posted chart to be accurate....at least not since the fall.......doesn't matter. As stated, just follow the navaids.

The last several years, I have anchored just south of the NASA railroad bridge just north of Titusville. Good protection from north and east once tucked in...but a hump at the beginning does come up to 5-6 feet. Never bumped in 8 times in/out with 4 foot draft.If calmer, like Ted mentioned, the mooring balls would be fine.

Also as Ted mentioned, the current under the Atl. Blvd Bridge can be tricky/fast. After leaving Pine Island oxbow, it can be a long slog if fighting Pablo creek current the whole way. One of the few offshore runs I have made is the St Johns/St Augustine because it's short, the ICW is close to the ocean at St Aug and the current in Pablo Creek.

Should I time going through Pablo Creek on an outgoing tide?

One other note:
The Atlantic Blvd bridge at MM 744 has a funnel effect. The river necks down to go through the bridge boat span. At peak flows, currents can exceed 3 knots under the bridge. If the current is opposing, be prepared (I have the bow thruster ready for a quick shove).

Ted

Should I try to hit this area at slack tide?

One other note:

Ted

If timing suits there is a nice deep water anchorage immediately north of that bridge on the east side north of Johnson Island.
Waterway Guide has it but doesn't rate it highly. However we use it whenever we leave home the night before a trip and we want to get away before our lock opens.

Here are the two charts.

Attachments

• CP1.jpg
    CP1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 72
  • CP2.jpg
    CP2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I've overnight anchored in many many spots on the fla east coast ICW. Just random spots out of the channel and hopefully with some shelter from expected wind. My boat has a nasty chine slap even with slight chop and I try to find slick calm for good sleep.

I never plan ahead for anchorages, just when I start getting tired I look ahead on the chart and start sniffing for a good spot. Always been able to find one. Long straight narrow ditches like S of Jax are no go for anchoring, but they are not that long. There is always somewhere near the ditch end to turn out and drop the hook.

I've overnight anchored in many many spots on the fla east coast ICW. Just random spots out of the channel and hopefully with some shelter from expected wind. My boat has a nasty chine slap even with slight chop and I try to find slick calm for good sleep.

I never plan ahead for anchorages, just when I start getting tired I look ahead on the chart and start sniffing for a good spot. Always been able to find one. Long straight narrow ditches like S of Jax are no go for anchoring, but they are not that long. There is always somewhere near the ditch end to turn out and drop the hook.

What do you draw?

If timing suits there is a nice deep water anchorage immediately north of that bridge on the east side north of Johnson Island.

Waterway Guide has it but doesn't rate it highly. However we use it whenever we leave home the night before a trip and we want to get away before our lock opens.

Here are the two charts.

Awesome. Thanks.

I would try and hit that area near low slack and time it to get the flood on the St John and ride that up to Jax. The currents are strong enough that it could add or subtract hours to a sub 8 knot boat.

You said you would drive 18 hours and not go into bathrooms? What is your plan for that?

True. And a roll of TP, if I can find one. [emoji51]

The only change I would make to the itinerary Menzies gave you is instead of palm coast marina, go with yacht harbor marina. It’s directly across the intercoastal and also my marina. It’s a safe haven. Flagler county has not been hit as hard with Covid19 as other counties have. Yacht harbor will have the space for you. Not so much at palm coast marina.

The only change I would make to the itinerary Menzies gave you is instead of palm coast marina, go with yacht harbor marina. It’s directly across the intercoastal and also my marina. It’s a safe haven. Flagler county has not been hit as hard with Covid19 as other counties have. Yacht harbor will have the space for you. Not so much at palm coast marina.

You mean the Marina at Hammock Beach Resort! :)

Much more expensive if all you want is an overnight tie.

Just took three boats to PCM before the shut down. They have plenty of room.

One more thing on the Atlantic Blvd bridge. It is a slow/minimum wake zone. However when you are against the current be prepared to goose her. Cruise RPM if you have to. The current will move you around a bit once through for about 100 yards as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom