Move a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aland4040

I’m looking to buy a 40’-46’ trawler and have it moved to Fort Lauderdale. I’d also like to take some boat handling lessons. Anyone in the Miami/Lauderdale area that can do that?

I’m looking to buy a 40’-46’ trawler and have it moved to Fort Lauderdale. I’d also like to take some boat handling lessons. Anyone in the Miami/Lauderdale area that can do that?

Where would you be moving the vessel from? If it is within reason I think the best plan would be to find a good captain and pay him to move it with you as a learning experience. Just my 2cents.

I get it, that's exactly what you are saying. Nevermind.

My standard advice to boat shoppers and buyers is "Look close to home, NEVER more than a few hundred miles from home base".

Moving a boat overland is VERY expensive and has certain risks.

When I bought my Albin,( I'm in northern Wisconsin.) The boat was south of Chicago. It was about a five hour car drive each way every time we wanted to measure or inspect anything. Fitting it out was a bit of a hassle, not many friends or family were interested in shuttling us to Chicago with a load of gear. It all worked out great, mostly because Chicago is on Lake Michigan, our "home base". It took a couple days to outfit the boat and a few more to motor it to Green Bay, it was GREAT.

Any further or longer and it would have been areal hassle. To think I actually boat shopped in Florida still gives me nightmares!

pete

The boat will be moved to Fort Lauderdale, I'm looking at a boat in Tampa, one in Cape Canaveral and one in Miami. Although that may change, that's what Im looking for at this time.

Welcome aboard. I agree on the captain training while moving the boat home. Your insurance company may require you to have training depending on your boating experience.

We have bought boats in Tampa while living in Tucson, Seattle while living in Tucson and moved boat to San Diego and Virginia while living in Michigan. I don’t see an issue moving a boat if you are adventurous. But moving one from one Florida location to another is easy peasy.

My standard advice to boat shoppers and buyers is "Look close to home, NEVER more than a few hundred miles from home base".

Moving a boat overland is VERY expensive and has certain risks.

pete

Good advice there. When we were shopping for the current boat, we drove all over the place. One was 600 miles from home. The one we ended up buying was only 80 miles by car and 60 by water. After 10 or 15 trips back and forth by car getting her set up, that was more than far enough. Only one day on the water getting her home, just enough for a good shakedown.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom