Most Versatile Cooking Appliance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is discouraging to learn as we are considering relocating to the east coast and the pro's and con's were in a dead heat. Does that prohibition apply to electric grills as well? I have been in west coast marinas that prohibit gas grilling. I don't remember the exact wording, but I infer that it is the prospect of open flames jumping out of a grill, particularly one that is not built in to the boat. In any event, my grill (which is built in and looks like a smaller version of what might be found in a backyard "outdoor kitchen") was not objected to. As a practical matter, it would take close inspection to determine that it was gas and not electric.

It's open flames only so does not pertain to electric grills. Same rules as most communities on apartment and condo complexes. Never had a problem using electric grills.

I only read the 1st two pages of 5, but I'm surprised nobody is advocating for alcohol stoves?? I thought they were the easiest to get/work/run on a boat, no? (ps- I have never had one).

Credit card. It's a single item, taking up very little space, that can lead to almost any type of cuisine imaginable...with minimal preparation time.

;-) ;-)

Otherwise, I would say our microwave/convection/grill oven.

Last edited:
I only read the 1st two pages of 5, but I'm surprised nobody is advocating for alcohol stoves?? I thought they were the easiest to get/work/run on a boat, no? (ps- I have never had one).

Because you never had one is a key to your question. The hotter pressurized ones were just shy of completely dangerous, even the safer non-pressurized ones some had problems with that included hampering serious cooking. For camping like cooking not bad.... can you make a decent meal with one? Compare it to...can you row across the Atlantic?

If you have a week or so to get water for coffee hot enough to boil...

And as log as you're OK with invisible flame if you happen to have a spill while it's lit...

-Chris

That is discouraging to learn as we are considering relocating to the east coast and the pro's and con's were in a dead heat. Does that prohibition apply to electric grills as well? I have been in west coast marinas that prohibit gas grilling. I don't remember the exact wording, but I infer that it is the prospect of open flames jumping out of a grill, particularly one that is not built in to the boat. In any event, my grill (which is built in and looks like a smaller version of what might be found in a backyard "outdoor kitchen") was not objected to. As a practical matter, it would take close inspection to determine that it was gas and not electric.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. A lot of marinas that I've seen ban onboard gas grills have a grilling area (or several) in the marina. And many provide grills and propane to use. And not all marinas ban grills onboard anyway.

Allegedly yes. I almost burned down a new sailboat I bought thanks to the alcohol stove. Alcohol is lighter than air and extinguishable with water so it has some advantages on boats. I wouldn't call them "easiest". That's not the point of them. Also, an alcohol flame is not as hot as gas, so cooking takes longer.

Wifey B: Today's devices are much safer than in ancient days. :rofl:
They still operate on similar principles. Even so, it`s amazing I remember back that far. Now, as to yesterday...:blush:

We love our Instant Pot. Very veratile, have one on the boat and at home.

I have two systems on my boat, propane for when not at a marina and electricity for when at a marina. So at a marina, induction plate and convection stove, microwave, toaster and panini maker. At anchor, microwave, toaster, propane stove/oven, propane BBQ. Whether at anchor or tied up, always drip coffee with boiled water from propane stove. But if I had to choice one, it would be the propane stove/oven, can do just about everything on it, including coffee.
I've been off my boat for a couple months getting work done that required offloading 100%. I couldn't believe how much I had after only living aboard about a year!

My mom's pressure cookers was her go-to device to feed six kids after she got home from work and I inherited hers. But the kids gave me a 6-QT IP for christmas & I'm in the honeymoon phase. I make large batches of soup/stews and freeze them in 2-4 person services. It's great for rice and potatoes. I make egg bites, cheesecake, poached eggs. I love it.

To the thread owners question and the referenced quote: IP in marina and a COBB at anchor. I was introduced to the COBB while barging the French canals with my friend who is a liveaboard on her 50" Dutch barge (nod to the je ne se quoi life, cheese, breads, rose and bocci ball at every stop). The COBB seemed to be the ticket for everyone and I bought one for herd during the trip. We used it nearly every night. Fires up quick, grill or roast (protein in the center, vegies on the outside ring) and a wok for stirfry. Fuel is a COBB ring that fires up fast, and when you shut down, so does it - we used maybe 2/3 rings a week. I have a large propane Magma, but too large except for entertaining.

As I reload this week, I'm going to (try) to be harsh on myself especially in the galley, worst category for way too much. But it'll be the IP, the COBB and the electric kettle (can't give up French-pressed coffee).

Fun thread!

Last edited:
Agreed

I was recently talking with friends and suggested the same thought.

If the sh!t hit the fan tomorrow and you can only take one galley cooking device with you on a long term cruise, what would you choose first?
Since you have limited us to only one "cooker", (Appliance?) I would have to stick with my coffee maker. Now, if that isn't considered to be a "cooker", then I'll take my microwave! :blush:

Attachments

• Coffee: microwave.jpg
    Coffee: microwave.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 25
I am not sure, but due to the short cook time, I think it may be doable with an inverter.

Back
Top Bottom