Most Important Dock Hand Skills & Traits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like them to learn how to use and at least one of them responding to carry a boat hook.

So many times I have had to loan one or use one to salvage a bad landing or pick up a line that had already been tossed a half dozen times (or just pull the boat over to the dock).

A long or extendable one can help some people with tying to pilings.

They also could have a little flag or banner tied on to raise and wave at big marinas so you can pick out the deckhand from farther away....it may also help with wind direction at the slip.

Last edited:
Top 3 traits for a dock hand - echo some others

1. Cleats. Cleat hitch and single wrap to belay/ease a boat.

2. Basics on line handling and geometry of boat while docking. To catch a line, hold your arm straight out to side so deck hand on boat knows to toss to your side, not at you. If boat is approaching a side tie bow-first, know that the bow needs to swing out at some point so don't shorten the line. At stern, a short line serves as a decent brake on transom boats. A midships' breast line (ie short line from midship cleat to dock cleat) is a good first line to temporarily secure a boat as it keeps both ends of boat captive with a single line, though emphasis on temporary - it's too short and has no stretch placing snatch loads on cleats. Know the prevailing winds and currents and effect on boats. Some locations have small or unusual currents or eddies that may be unexpected to a visiting helmsman.

3. Be identifiable as marina personnel vs a good Samaritan.

Here is something that would be so simple, yet would set your marina apart with a great touch and first impression.
Though VHF communication is typical as you approach, the marina almost always has your mobile number from when you made arrangements (or they could ask for it). Once a slip assignment is made, one quick text with an aerial view of the marina with an arrow pointing to your assigned slip would be amazingly helpful. A quick look at your phone would give you a GREAT idea of your approach, etc.

Once the marina made one of these aerial views for one slip, modifying it for every slip in the marina and saving the pic with the slip # would just take an hour or two. Their work is done, yet every captain from that day forward would benefit greatly from this.

Imagine about an hour before arrival if you got the text:
"Welcome to Aren't-We-Great-Marina. We look forward to having you as a guest. Please hail us on XX when you are close to arrival. For now, this aerial view of your probable slip assignment might be useful".

How easy would that be?

Some marinas have that and more, including tricky routes in from the ICW or ocean.

They send a whole welcome aboard package...almost.

If not, I usually satellite view the marina ( or slip map if decent) in google maps when I call and can better visualize their directions to my slip...it usually clears up port/starboard side to questions.

Last edited:
Wifey B:

1, 1A, 1B, 1 Everything...ahead of everything else. SAFETY. Your first and foremost job is your safety and the safety of all the others. Everything geared toward safety.

2. PLEASURE. It's pleasure boating and your job is to insure as much pleasure for the customer and others as possible. That means smile and be pleasant. It means treat them courteously and go beyond in providing service. Try to insure their stay is good. You're in the hospitality industry. Have fun in your job while taking it seriously. :D

3. Training. All the things the rest of you are posting are good, but essentially it means to train them in all aspects of their job, from handling lines, to fueling, to fire response, to person overboard, to drunken operators, to preventing accidents. Seeing they are trained is a responsibility of the dockmaster. Working to be trained is the employee's responsibility. :)

Some marinas have that and more, including tricky routes in from the ICW or ocean.

They send a whole welcome aboard package...almost.

If not, I usually satellite view the marina ( or slip map if decent) in google maps when I call and can better visualize their directions to my slip...it usually clears up port/starboard side to questions.
I have not yet received anything like that, but that is good to hear some are doing it. It would be so easy. Like you, I usually have an aerial photo of the marina from google maps on my phone. It helps, but sometimes you still have no idea where slip H8 might be from looking down on a aerial view with a few hundred slips, 15 docks, and multiple entrances. It always works out, though. Technology has made providing this kind of useful info so easy. Hopefully it will become the norm. For now, I think it would set a marina apart from most with a very nice early touch/first impression.

AZ2Loop...
Excellent idea and one I will certainly talk over w their mgmt.

Several times while transiting the AICW in Mar-Apr this year, I had the dockhand/master stand at the slip, handheld VHF in hand, waving his hands over his head as I entered the strange marinas. All I needed was the most basic of information on one or two required turns with the comment, "Then look for me waving my hands." Worked like a charm.

In the vessel I was running, which had no visibility astern, I appreciated their quick comments about closing footage between my vessel and and anything hard back there. Yes, I had a headset on with the first mate astern, but the voice over the VHF radio over my head with a comment like, "Ten feet and closing on the vessel astern of you," was not obtrusinve.

Some boaters want to be told what to do, others want the dock hand to follow directions. A good dock hand will learn to quickly spot the difference. But, err on the side of following instructions -- don't tie off a dock line without being told, but do get a wrap on a cleat when it makes sense to do so. This is probably something that can't be adequately conveyed in a seminar -- it takes some hands on experience. Power is in the same category -- some boaters probably need to be reminded, but many would prefer to make the connection and flip the breaker on only after the boat is secure, and will handle that themselves. An exception may be when it is necessary to handle long, heavy power cords. Help with that is generally appreciated, but it is really important to understand the absolute necessity of keeping the entire cord (not just the ends) out of the water and secured in such a way that it cannot later fall or be kicked in.

Great points by many!

I also find it very helpful when a marina posts a marina map of it slips on its website so newcomers can get the "lay of the land" before arrival.

I notice that the OP is in NY and although its a long way from there to Roche Harbor it might even be worth the trip to see world class deckwork in process. Roche has the perfect model for deck hands. They are smartly dressed in a quasi uniform that distinguishes them from the deck wanderers and tourists. They are always prompt, waiting on your arrival at the end of the pier which is well labelled. They don't get in the way, they almost always work in pairs and will take both lines as directed by the mate. They will hold the lines loose and won't make the boat fast until the boat is well located in the slip, or on direction or to prevent a problem that might be manifesting. It doesn't hurt that they are very cute young ladies and men also! They do not expect a tip ever but are graceful if receiving one either for docking or for extra services.
They will often offer to take trash to the communal bins if they are not rushed. After a while, another dockhand will come by to check all is OK and only then he or usually she will be glad to process your payment - all without you having to leave the boat. If you aren't there they will happily come back at around dinner time.

If I had a marina this would be my model.

My biggest beef in any "new to me" marina is actually finding my slip, so extra effort spent on briefing how to describe a slip location from the perspective of the arriving boat is very helpful.

Know and be able to clearly explain the marina layout as seen from a boat. Know how to clearly explain how to get to the assigned dock and what the docking arrangements will be.

So I will post this question in a more regional context. A lot of great suggestions - however any comments regarding dock cleats are non-starters at many/most marinas/docks in British Columbia where the use of wooden “bull rails” predominates. This makes the dockhands job more challenging. Any BC specific advice that I could pass along? All too few galvanized pipe versions and re the wooden ones, most are older, not new like the “shed photo”. Splinters abound and lines can get caught on the corners. Smart dock hands seem to get it by taking a quick loop under the rail near a spacing block and using the block as a leverage point.

Anyway, just curious if the BC contingent can share any useful insights re bull rails.

Attachments

• 638DD9C3-739B-4273-AEAC-A0A361F92CC9.jpeg
    638DD9C3-739B-4273-AEAC-A0A361F92CC9.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 071F5173-D3B5-41FE-B09F-3BC20D89919E.jpeg
    071F5173-D3B5-41FE-B09F-3BC20D89919E.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 55
Here's just one example that can be very confusing, and very easily cleared up with a dock map.

I have seen some marinas where the docks are labeled A, B, C, etc., and the slips are odd/even off opposite sides of the dock. As a result, you need to know which are evens and which are odds to know which fairway you need to go down.

Then I have seen other marinas where the fairways are labeled A, B, C, and the slips are odd/even off opposite sides of the fairway. You need to know that "A" is the fairway to go down regardless of whether you have an odd or even slip.

And port vs stbd side tie can make a big difference. With an asymmetrical boat, you might have a strong preference for one over the other. Often times it will dive whether you want to go bow or stern in. Also, it can take some time to re-rig on the opposite side, and you don't want to be doing that while trying to hold station in a tight fairway on a windy day.

S
A lot of great suggestions - however any comments regarding dock cleats are non-starters at many/most marinas/docks in British Columbia where the use of wooden “bull rails” predominates. This makes the dockhands job more challenging. Any BC specific advice that I could pass along? All too few galvanized pipe versions and re the wooden ones, most are older, not new like the “shed photo”. Splinters abound and lines can get caught on the corners. Smart dock hands seem to get it by taking a quick loop under the rail near a spacing block and using the block as a leverage point.

I wonder what the history was that caused bull rails? Why would they have come into existence, become common in some areas?

-Chris

I wonder what the history was that caused bull rails? Why would they have come into existence, become common in some areas?

-Chris

Back in the old days when marinas were being built by individuals with limited means, the bull rails were less expensive than cleats.

There were some marinas equipped with wood DIY cleats to save money.

The bull rails also added strength to the DIY docks making them less flexible.

I think I have noticed marinas with Dockwa sometimes provide a lot of info beforehand.

Not always what you need...but I think the trend of doing things online versus over the phone may be driving the pre-arrival download to you.

Our yacht club does not have "dock hands." It is the prevailing wisdom, that our members, being boaters, have no need for "dock hands."

Our yacht club does not have "dock hands." It is the prevailing wisdom, that our members, being boaters, have no need for "dock hands."

While I appreciate the ability to dock sufficiently well solo, it's always appreciated when a smiling, willing, listening and helpful dock hand assists. That's when my wallet opens. (OK, I'll admit that I'm a cheap retired pilot. We're all that way. Don't ask me why...)

Sooo, you can't really help out the OP then?

Dock hands?? We've no such here!! Is that an East-Coast thing? It is nice having an over-sized berth.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 52
Dock hands?? We've no such here!! Is that an East-Coast thing? It is nice having an over-sized berth.

I dunno, is that an over-sized berth or an under-sized boat? :D

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 51
Without dockhands, a lot of boaters would be forever underway.....:D

A good dock hand is always appreciated, especially at an unfamiliar marina. But unless I know to expect them we always plan for for docking with just our onboard crew. Usually that means planning to deposit a person on the dock with a line. So if there are dock hands, that line can simply be handed off instead.

I'll 2nd the flags and add a good bright flash light. The human eye s drawn to movement but more so to light. Movement and light are the most observable.

A good dock hand is always appreciated, especially at an unfamiliar marina. But unless I know to expect them we always plan for for docking with just our onboard crew. Usually that means planning to deposit a person on the dock with a line. So if there are dock hands, that line can simply be handed off instead.

I agree with that. We boated on weekdays and during the off season with our first big boat and had to learn to dock unassisted. Many smaller marinas around here in the PNW were unstaffed on weekdays and off season. Put the money in the envelope, place into box, fill out register.

My marina doesn't have dock hands either & that's OK with me!
Just today it was very windy and a young guy with a new to him 42 footer had a lot of trouble getting in his slip. 5 of us were waiting at the slip...2 on the starboard side, 2 on the port side of the slip and one guy at the head of the slip directing traffic. (Communicating with the boats captain.) It all worked out and the young captain was really appreciative.

To be able to anticipate events and operations, rather than just react.
To buy into safety as a priority.
To prioritize.
Regular training equals safety.

Back
Top Bottom