More charging capacity from generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two points, my solar system was designed to float while at the dock, fridge, bilge pumps and I am not onboard. If I anchor out and need to cook and or use the A/C, I have a generator and I am not afraid to use it.

When you were originally quoting solar KW on your own boat, I thought that seems a huge array, and where would you fit that……until you posted pics of your arrangement!
You are certainly committed to solar, impressive!

The basic idea of changing to solar was that we don't want to have a generator running while we are lying in a pristine bay. We don't want the noise, we don't want the fumes, nor do we want to bother anyone else with that.
On top of that I have the rule that 1 person has to be awake when the generator is running. There is no chance that everybody is asleep when the generator is running, it is not going to happen. If something would happen to the generator we would not notice it.
And lastly, not spending fuel on the generator would mean more fuel for the engines and that means more range on the boat. Here in the Med that is important, there are hundreds of islands to visit and not all of them have a fuel station.

Before I decided on the amount of panels I put all the electricity users in an Excel sheet. Figured out how many amps they would draw and how long I would use them during the day and during the night. Thus I came to the required peak amps, the amps during the day and the amps during the night.

That gave me a good indication of my power requirements and based on that I calculated how much solar I would need. I figured an efficiency of the panels of 50 % for about 8 hours per day, but now I realize we are more at 75 - 80 % efficiency which is great.
The battery bank was calculated at 3 x daily use with no solar, so that came to about 1400 Ah. The chance I won't be able to charge the batteries for 3 days is almost nil, since I can charge the batteries via the generator, shore power, alternators and solar panels.
In other words now we don't really need the generator anymore, it is just a back up and that is what we had in mind all the time.

As for the position of the panels I contacted Defever in Taiwan and they told me not to put rigid panels on the bimini. Stability would be affected negatively, so that was out of the window.
Then I realized we had the dinghy lying on the dinghy or sun deck, so taking the dinghy off and replacing that with a large frame on the stern would not make a difference in the weight and balance. It would also add shade to the sterndeck, which was perfect so had it welded in Greece. The panels fit perfectly and there is no obstruction from the sun.
The other panels were intended to be 2 on portside and 2 on starboard side, but that did not work out. So now it is 2 on port, 1 on starboard and 1 in the back of the sun deck. Deck is large enough so the loss of some space for a panel does not hurt us.
The panels on the side are hanging vertical while we are in port or underway when there is wind. But on anchor or underway in light wind we raise them to horizontal and thus we have all the panels working fine.
Here in Greece / Turkey the wind is basically always coming from the NW to NE which means the stern is always turned towards the sun and with no clouds whatsoever we have the full sun from 8 in the morning until 5 to 6 PM, so 2.5 Kw per hour. After and before that it goes a bit down, but we normally always have around 1 Kw per hour.

In all we are very happy with the result and it actually worked out better than expected, but perhaps my calculations on the efficiendy were a bit conservative. However it is better to have above expectations than below expectations. :)

Last edited:
We need to lift our game
More than enough in summer
But lacking in winter

Only 2.5kw for us but could probably go that again.
Plenty of space on roof, top deck shade structure and even considered extending the eyebrow out front of helm for more.

Funnel gives some shading, but nought can be done about that.

Attachments

• sketch-1542405405757.jpg
    sketch-1542405405757.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The basic idea of changing to solar was that we don't want to have a generator running while we are lying in a pristine bay. We don't want the noise, we don't want the fumes, nor do we want to bother anyone else with that.
On top of that I have the rule that 1 person has to be awake when the generator is running. There is no chance that everybody is asleep when the generator is running, it is not going to happen. If something would happen to the generator we would not notice it.
And lastly, not spending fuel on the generator would mean more fuel for the engines and that means more range on the boat. Here in the Med that is important, there are hundreds of islands to visit and not all of them have a fuel station.

Before I decided on the amount of panels I put all the electricity users in an Excel sheet. Figured out how many amps they would draw and how long I would use them during the day and during the night. Thus I came to the required peak amps, the amps during the day and the amps during the night.

That gave me a good indication of my power requirements and based on that I calculated how much solar I would need. I figured an efficiency of the panels of 50 % for about 8 hours per day, but now I realize we are more at 75 - 80 % efficiency which is great.
The battery bank was calculated at 3 x daily use with no solar, so that came to about 1400 Ah. The chance I won't be able to charge the batteries for 3 days is almost nil, since I can charge the batteries via the generator, shore power, alternators and solar panels.
In other words now we don't really need the generator anymore, it is just a back up and that is what we had in mind all the time.

As for the position of the panels I contacted Defever in Taiwan and they told me not to put rigid panels on the bimini. Stability would be affected negatively, so that was out of the window.
Then I realized we had the dinghy lying on the dinghy or sun deck, so taking the dinghy off and replacing that with a large frame on the stern would not make a difference in the weight and balance. It would also add shade to the sterndeck, which was perfect so had it welded in Greece. The panels fit perfectly and there is no obstruction from the sun.
The other panels were intended to be 2 on portside and 2 on starboard side, but that did not work out. So now it is 2 on port, 1 on starboard and 1 in the back of the sun deck. Deck is large enough so the loss of some space for a panel does not hurt us.
The panels on the side are hanging vertical while we are in port or underway when there is wind. But on anchor or underway in light wind we raise them to horizontal and thus we have all the panels working fine.
Here in Greece / Turkey the wind is basically always coming from the NW to NE which means the stern is always turned towards the sun and with no clouds whatsoever we have the full sun from 8 in the morning until 5 to 6 PM, so 2.5 Kw per hour. After and before that it goes a bit down, but we normally always have around 1 Kw per hour.

In all we are very happy with the result and it actually worked out better than expected, but perhaps my calculations on the efficiendy were a bit conservative. However it is better to have above expectations than below expectations. :)

Besides your impressive solar array and power production abilities, the amount of polished stainless steel is also eye catching.
I have heard if you need vast amounts of stainless produced at a reasonable price, Turkey is the place to get it done. Well known Nordhavn global cruisers, Scott and Mary Flanders of Egret, told me this nearly twenty years ago, part of their reason to have a couple of seasons in the Med

Last edited:
We need to lift our game
But lacking in winter

Plenty of space on roof, top deck shade structure and even considered extending the eyebrow out front of helm for more.

Maybe replace the aft canvas awning with more panels jammed together, you would have to get the frame beefed up perhaps, but long term savings on replacing the canvas in the hot QLD sun?

We have a relatively power hungry boat with 1360 AH agm house bank. A magnum 2812 inverter (125 amp charge rate) and pronautic 60 amp standalone charger and see up to 175 amps of charge when gen is running.

In an effort to reduce gen run time we added 1000 watts of solar
We now run the gen set about 1.5 hours in the morning and shut it off once bulk is complete. The solar will carry house loads and get the batteries to full charge float by mid afternoon. With a clamp meter I’ve seen as much as 75 amps of charge current from the solar bank. Some days we don’t run the genset at all and still get to full charge on sunny days. We’re very happy with this arrangement and are able to consistently keep the house bank between 75% and 100%.

We also struggled with space for panels so had a new Bimini custom made with added bracing and tight canvas to accept zip in flexible panels.

We considered adding more ac charger capacity but it really doesn’t shorten the charge time to full much with agm or flooded batteries

Last edited:
Maybe replace the aft canvas awning with more panels jammed together, you would have to get the frame beefed up perhaps, but long term savings on replacing the canvas in the hot QLD sun?

90% shade cloth - has lasted 7 years so far
And we have a 50m roll onboard so probably a couple of hundred years worth :facepalm:

It seems to me that charging at 100a into a 1000AH bank you are leaving a lot on the table. That is only .1C and AGMs can usually be charged at .2-.25C. This also explains your needing to run the generator for 4hrs a day to replenish the 400AH usage. I would suggest adding another 100A charge capability. I think you’ll get the most bang for the buck there.

Ken
I’m not as up on battery charging as I’d like to be. When you say 1.5C, what is C?

Fair enough, you can’t beat the value of shade cloth.

And made roll up side curtains with pockets and PVC tube top and bottom.
Not the prettiest things but they work a treat, took minutes to make onboard and cost a few $$

Besides your impressive solar array and power production abilities, the amount of polished stainless steel is also eye catching.
I have heard if you need vast amounts of stainless produced at a reasonable price, Turkey is the place to get it done. Well known Nordhavn global cruisers, Scott and Mary Flanders of Egret, told me this nearly twenty years ago, part of their reason to have a couple of seasons in the Med

Unfortunately those days are over, they don't exist anymore. Turkey is now, by far, the most expensive country for maintenance. I needed 2 brackets for my alternators. That was supposed to have been done in Greece for 300 euro a piece. However, prior to the welder being able to work I needed another mechanic to attach a second pulley to our engines and this guy made a total mess.
Long story short, did not have the time to do it in Greece anymore, so I thought: I will have it done in Turkey.
Turkish welder shows up, explained him the identical part they were going to make in Greece for 300 euro a piece. This Turkish welder demanded 2500 euro a piece !!! Needless to say he did not get the job.

And it is like that with basically everything. In not a single shop you will find prices published, they have to look everything up and by a miracle you, as a foreigner, then always end up with the most idiotic prices. Best part however is that if you ask it one day you may get 80 euro for some part. Come back a week later and ask like: 'what was the price again for this part ? 18 euro it was, right ? Happened quite a few times that they said: 'it is 19 or 22 euro, so the 80 euro was just a price for foreigners.
This week asked a guy what it would cost to connect some cables which are hard to get to and at my age am not so flexible anymore. Wanted 1500 euro for 1 day work. Even in the Netherlands I would pay maximum 400 euro for the same job.
Turkey is pricing itself out of the market, it is called 'greedflation' and it is not fun. We had a list of work that needed to be done, in the end nothing got done (just the stabilizers). The two other jobs (depth meter and steering pump) they messed up. Depth meter was leaking so that was an emergency haul out for 1000 euro and the steering pumps were destroyed by another company for a total damage of nearly 10.000 euro. Both companies stuck up their middle finger, so that is 2 times court case against these morons.
In other words, forget Turkey as a place to do maintenance or for cheap products. Perhaps when a yard buys it, but as a private person they will happily take you to the cleaners.

Unfortunately those days are over, they don't exist anymore. Turkey is now, by far, the most expensive country for maintenance. I needed 2 brackets for my alternators. That was supposed to have been done in Greece for 300 euro a piece. However, prior to the welder being able to work I needed another mechanic to attach a second pulley to our engines and this guy made a total mess.
Long story short, did not have the time to do it in Greece anymore, so I thought: I will have it done in Turkey.
Turkish welder shows up, explained him the identical part they were going to make in Greece for 300 euro a piece. This Turkish welder demanded 2500 euro a piece !!! Needless to say he did not get the job.

And it is like that with basically everything. In not a single shop you will find prices published, they have to look everything up and by a miracle you, as a foreigner, then always end up with the most idiotic prices. Best part however is that if you ask it one day you may get 80 euro for some part. Come back a week later and ask like: 'what was the price again for this part ? 18 euro it was, right ? Happened quite a few times that they said: 'it is 19 or 22 euro, so the 80 euro was just a price for foreigners.
This week asked a guy what it would cost to connect some cables which are hard to get to and at my age am not so flexible anymore. Wanted 1500 euro for 1 day work. Even in the Netherlands I would pay maximum 400 euro for the same job.
Turkey is pricing itself out of the market, it is called 'greedflation' and it is not fun. We had a list of work that needed to be done, in the end nothing got done (just the stabilizers). The two other jobs (depth meter and steering pump) they messed up. Depth meter was leaking so that was an emergency haul out for 1000 euro and the steering pumps were destroyed by another company for a total damage of nearly 10.000 euro. Both companies stuck up their middle finger, so that is 2 times court case against these morons.
In other words, forget Turkey as a place to do maintenance or for cheap products. Perhaps when a yard buys it, but as a private person they will happily take you to the cleaners.

Sorry to hear about your repair drama’s, I’m sure as soon as you mention boats/marine, pricing regimes escalate dramatically!
At least in Europe, with different countries so close to each other, you don’t need to travel too far to find another option.
A Belgian friend is very happy with work done at both Italian and Montenegro yards, both skills and fair pricing.

We need to lift our game
But lacking in winter

You have indeed a lot of extra space for more panels and as we know, you can never have enough solar power available. :)

Sorry to hear about your repair drama’s, I’m sure as soon as you mention boats/marine, pricing regimes escalate dramatically!
At least in Europe, with different countries so close to each other, you don’t need to travel too far to find another option.
A Belgian friend is very happy with work done at both Italian and Montenegro yards, both skills and fair pricing.

Once we get out of this yard (if ever) we will spend a month or 2 on the Turkish coast, but after that we are bringing the boat in the direction of Croatia and Montenegro.
Had plans to have some work done in Greece, but after so many disasters we will just postpone it. No idea how it is in the States, but here in Greece and Turkey it looks like one big fraud scheme. Someone opens up a company, gives it a fancy name that looks like legit yacht maintenance. Gets some untrained people off the street and then offers himself to perform jobs on boats against outrageous fees. If it goes well there is no problem, but if it goes wrong they will stick up their middle finger, knowing the court system is so slow that many owners will just give up and pay the damage themselves.

There are of course also capable workers, but most of them work in legitimate ship yards for new build boats.

I have seen the Turkish practice also in Greece, so it makes it very difficult to find good companies, that take maintenance serious and accept responsiblitiy for their work.
As a result of all the charlatans the marina where i am now has at least 10 boats lying on the dry whose owners cannot use the boat for the summer season because of malpractice by the maintenance companies. And even the marina does not accept any repsonsibility although they get 30 % of the turn over of the maintenance companies. :mad:

You have indeed a lot of extra space for more panels and as we know, you can never have enough solar power available. :)

And I can still get near new tier one 275W panels for around $60

$500 in panels, $900 mppt and some wire.
Should be able to get another 2.5 kw happening for around $2000.

Smashing the amps in on a cloudy day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom