MK 1 Water Heater Location Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABL

Hi Guys,
I have a Mainship Mark 1 I purchased a few years ago. The water heater was located under the rear deck near the water tanks. The PO mentioned that it takes a while to get warm water to the sink and wastes water. I am reconfiguring my galley and was planning on putting the water heater under the galley counter next to the fridge.
Does anyone have this type of install or any experience with the coolant hoses (the ones that heat the water) being located higher than the engine? in other words I've been wondering if my engine coolant will leak out of the overflow tube if my hoses are higher than the overflow because the coolant will seek it's own level when the engine is not pumping coolant around.

Check what the water heater manufacturer says in the install instructions. Water heaters usually use the closed loop coolant, so I don't think that would be a problem. The "overflow" tube you mention I imagine is on your surge tank and is a pressure relief. Just like your radiator cap on the tank it should hold that pressure, it's just gravity. The real pressure is when she gets up to temp.

That would be good use of that dead space in the corner next to the fridge

:socool:

Mine is located under the counter next to the fridge. The engine coolant level in the overflow bottle is not effected by it.

I installed the AC/Heat unit in that wasted space outboard of the refrigerator but I don't see any reason why a water heater couldn't go there too. We have a bus heater to heat the boat from the engine coolant and it's under the companionway steps and have never had an issue with the coolant circulation.
On the subject of water heater relocation, we are currently replacing the 12 gallon one that was under the cockpit. Your thread got me thinking about another spot. We bought a Quick 5 gallon cylindrical-shaped heater with a roto-molded case. It's much smaller than the original equipment Raritan 12 gallon unit. Anyway, I have an empty space ahead of each fuel tank and sure enough, the new heater fits in the space forward of the starboard tank perfectly! Another good use of wasted space on a classic 34 with a minimal amount of replumbing & rewiring! Thanks for the idea & I'll be sure to post pictures when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom