Missing Boat With 16 On Board!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
On the run down from Daytona to Cocoa yesterday we heard the Coast guard regularly issue a "be on the lookout for...and report all sightings.."

A 20-26 foot cuddy cabin with 16 people on board left Matanzas, Cuba for an unknown destination (clearly either Florida or the Bahamas) on November the 9th and have not been heard from.

Doesn't sound good. I suspect whoever they were to meet up with here raised the alarm after a week. Given it would take less than a day to cross the 90 miles, it looks ominous.

Last edited:
A 20 - 26 cuddy with 16 people sounds ominous on it's own, let alone including a crossing...

A 20 - 26 cuddy with 16 people sounds ominous on it's own, let alone including a crossing...

I was thinking the same. I wouldn't willingly allow 16 people on my boat outside of an emergency situation in calm-ish water, let alone on a boat that size.

And it’s tragic that those 16 people felt getting out of Cuba was enough of an emergency to do it.

In another life I used to do business in Cuba, spent a lot of time there, still visit occasionally and have quite a few Cuban friends.

Once out of the tourist areas (prohibited to most Cubans) the poverty is devasting with no end in sight.

Back
Top Bottom