March diesel price on the Gulf coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I paid $2.71 a gallon for off-road diesel at the gas station around the corner while the local municipal marina (20-mile round trip) charges $3.05 today. I made a couple of trips to the gas station putting 56 gallons into the boat saving a mere 19 bucks, but had I gone to the marina, I would have run about 16 gallons through the engine or another $35 worth of fuel. So did I save $54? You math whiz types can figure it out, and don't tell me to come off plane when going to get fuel cuz that's not how we roll. :)

Anybody else on the Gulf coast fuel up this week?

Welcome to the end of energy independence...
Yes, you saved $54. - whatever it cost to run your car back and forth.

I'm coming up with $67.84 total savings. 16 gallons at $3.05 (if you'd gone to the marina) is $48.80.

Rich, what you need is a tidy tank in the back of a pickup. One fill-up trip. What you don't put in your boat you sell to someone else for $2.90

The current Green Goal is $10.00 a gallon ,or at least as high as the Euros pay .

The math will be easier with big round numbers.

Rich, what you need is a tidy tank in the back of a pickup. One fill-up trip. What you don't put in your boat you sell to someone else for $2.90

That would be an interesting idea; however, I am limited in access to my pier having to back my Dodge Dakota through narrow access over my lawn to get to a point where I can roll the 30-gal tank off the PU via a ramp onto the pier and then another 100 feet out to the boat. Much more weight or truck size would not work.

That would be an interesting idea; however, I am limited in access to my pier having to back my Dodge Dakota through narrow access over my lawn to get to a point where I can roll the 30-gal tank off the PU via a ramp onto the pier and then another 100 feet out to the boat. Much more weight or truck size would not work.

I'm hearing an excuse to buy more toys! You need a tank strapped to a pallet and a tractor with a loader. Then you can just pluck the tank out of the truck and bring it over to the boat. Or you need a truck with a tank and pump setup that can just feed the fuel through 100+ feet of hose to the boat.

Attachments

• 1B23EA9E-FEA5-444E-9B5C-DBE8365A7CD0.jpg
    1B23EA9E-FEA5-444E-9B5C-DBE8365A7CD0.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 34

This only works if you have a tiny fuel tank. I hold 1075 gallons, at 30 gallons a trip that’s 30 or more trips! Besides I had 600 gallons @ $2.49 delivered to the boat by a fuel truck a week ago. All the northbound boats in the marina got together and emptied a 3000 gallon truck. This is in Marathon Florida and the local Valero station was selling over the road diesel for $3.09 at the time. No fuel dock at our marina.

Last edited:
I'm hearing an excuse to buy more toys! You need a tank strapped to a pallet and a tractor with a loader. Then you can just pluck the tank out of the truck and bring it over to the boat. Or you need a truck with a tank and pump setup that can just feed the fuel through 100+ feet of hose to the boat.

LOL, that looks like fun on a semi-industrial scale! Sorta ruins my KISS concept.

It would still save multiple trips to the property and refill the smaller tank for the dock portion.

It would still save multiple trips to the property and refill the smaller tank for the dock portion.

Doubtless true, but I have no place to keep extra stuff around my place without it quickly looking like a junkyard.

Bought some road diesel for my truck last week, $1.49 Cdn per litre equals just over $4.38 US per US gallon. I don't know what marina pump price is right now, usually higher.

I once bought a few hundred gallons at the tuna boat fuel dock in San Diego for 35 cents a gallon.

Back
Top Bottom