Mainship 390 (2004) Dimensional Drawing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmdsea

Long story that I will try and keep short...

I am a UK citizen currently in Florida and intending to spend the next year doing the loop. I have had an offer accepted on a 2004 Mainship 390, had the survey done and follow up repairs carried out by the seller, and have insurance offer in hand. So I have already jumped through a number of hurdles...

However the current issue that is stumping me is boat ownership and registration. The boat is USCG documented which I am not eligible to transfer as a non US citizen. This means the boat must be de-documented on transfer into my ownership. The usual alternative is state registration. This would be ok if I just kept the boat in a marina somewhere and didn't need to change port limits frequently. However doing the loop on a state registered boat as a foreigner creates a requirement for me to clear in and clear out of every port I pass through using a CBP1300 form which it so tedious on a 6000 mile trip as to be impractical.

This means I need to re-flag the vessel with one of the 30No countries which have reciprocal arrangements with the US and would allow me to obtain a one year cruising permit that would remove most of the restrictions.

I thought this just means paying a few hundred bucks to a title documentation company who would handle it for me in a straightforward manner.... Oh how naïve was I.!

The agent recommended the Marshall Islands as the best option for which I met the flagging requirements (less than 20 years old, more than 12 metres long and with valid liability insurance) so submitted the documentation and twiddled my thumbs for a few days waiting for approval, only to hear back that it was denied as the boat is only 11M long...

So to my question. The vessel length stated in the USCG title documentation is 36.7ft long. I dont know where this value has come from, but basically its 11.2M and considered too short.!

The Marshall Islands definition of LOA is “Length Overall (LOA)” means the distance from the forward side of the stem to the aftermost side of the stern".

This would exclude anything bolted on such as the pulpit and in earlier boats, the bolted on swim platform. However, somewhat crucially, by 2004 the swim platform was modified to be an integral part of the hull as is the bow anchor, bowsprit. I believe this makes the LOA to be 39'9" as stated in my survey but I am having a hard time locating any technical data to prove it. Anyone able to provide a link or a pdf with the boat dimensions, would be my new best friend for at least the length of time it took me to buy you a beer or two...

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanx:

Jon

Welcome aboard. I would just resubmit it with the length in the survey which is longer than 12 meters. If they ask for documentation send a copy of the survey. Does it really matter how long it actually is? Who is ever going to check if from the Marshal Islands?

Jon
Have you looked at a Mainship manual for that boat?
At least in my MS 34 manual that was one thing it did include was V decent dimensional info I used for the transporter.
Somebody here on TF must have a manual if you dont.don't.
Have you looked in the TF Library?
https://greatlakesdieselmarine.com/...ship-trawler-drawings-schematics-twin-engines

I see BoatDiesel.com has a 390 manual available for download for members.

Last edited:
Jon
Have you looked at a Mainship manual for that boat?
At least in my MS 34 manual that was one thing it did include was V decent dimensional info I used for the transporter.
Somebody here on TF must have a manual if you dont.don't.
https://greatlakesdieselmarine.com/...ship-trawler-drawings-schematics-twin-engines

Good suggestion. The seller has a whole collection of documents and I remember seeing a large ring file which I think is the owners manual so I have just pinged him and asked him to look through and send me any dimension drawings... fingers crossed.!

Good suggestion. The seller has a whole collection of documents and I remember seeing a large ring file which I think is the owners manual so I have just pinged him and asked him to look through and send me any dimension drawings... fingers crossed.!
I have the complete manual electronically if you need it I would PM me and I will see if I can somehow send you a cloud link Here's a sample

Attachments

• 390 Single System total Mechanical Layout 1.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • 390 Single System Total Mechanical Layout 2.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • AC Electrical Layout 1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • AC Electrical Layout 2.pdf
    1,006 KB · Views: 63
  • AC Electrical Layout 3.pdf
    672.9 KB · Views: 52
  • AC Electrical Layout 4.pdf
    690.8 KB · Views: 54
  • AC Electrical Layout 5.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • AC Electrical Layout 6.pdf
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Engines & Transmissions.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 48
Heres some more

Attachments

• DC Electrical layout 1.pdf
    775.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DC Electrical Layout 2.pdf
    782.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DC Electrical Layout 3.pdf
    796.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DC Electrical Layout 4.pdf
    859.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DC Electrical Layout 5.pdf
    832 KB · Views: 39
  • DC Electrical Layout 6.pdf
    588.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DC Electrical Layout 7.pdf
    646.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DC Systems.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
  • DC Wiring Schematic 1.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
I have the complete manual electronically if you need it I would PM me and I will see if I can somehow send you a cloud link Here's a sample

Ed
Is there a dimension page or two - my 34 manual had a page with dimensions?

Similar to these...

Don

Attachments

• MS34HT Trwlr Dimns 1.pdf
    625.3 KB · Views: 56
  • MS34HT Trwlr Dimns 2.pdf
    511.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Here's some more

Ed
Is there a dimension page or two - my 34 manual had a page with dimensions?

Similar to these...

Don
There is not there is however Sling placement dimensions that give you an Idea, I am attaching my Canadian Registry that shows the official length as 11.29 Meters however the boat for sure (My Marina Measured it for Dockage, and from Pulpit to end of Molded swim platform it is 39.7 ft, and I am charged for 40ft

Attachments

• Cartouce Ownership 2020.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 102
Thank you for all the responses. The owner came back with this which isn't quite as "formal" as I was hoping, but hopefully will be enough to prove that all the dimensions on the registration are wrong. The beam is stated as 15ft and the draft is 6ft1"... :confused:

Attachments

• Mainship 390 owners manual~ Technical data.jpg
    Mainship 390 owners manual~ Technical data.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 51
Don't register the boat in any state. Most states only require the you register the vessel if you remain in that state longer than an allotted time. Times vary, however doing the loop, it will be highly unlikely that you exceed any one states requirement.

What about selling the boat into a trust? Then USA document. You might register in a state where you think you will be beyond their use limit. But otherwise no state reg.

Not sure how hard that would be to make happen.

I can tell you that the coast guard document dimensions are related to cargo volume, not actual length width depth of these vessels.

Much luck. The paperwork is so much harder than it should be.

—Kevin

If the boat has been previously documented, resubmit the documentation. A lot less hassle.

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately the Marshall Islands wouldn't reconsider so I now have to pursue other flagging options. However the surveyor provided me with the following two documents just in case they are of interest to anyone here...

Attachments

• 390review[647].pdf
    807.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 2021_pbg 1243[648].pdf
    567.7 KB · Views: 88
I'm a Brit and am on my 6th Loop. PM me, I have a few suggestions.

Hi Jon. This has perplexed me for a while and comes up with Canadians buying boats in the USA (usually in Florida) where they seem to be stricter on the daily attendance at a port office to file the freighter designed Form 1300 for each move of the boat. I have been unable to find the USA federal statute that applies.
1) Speak with Kim at the ALGCA to see what she suggests. She has a direct contact with CBP who facilitated our cruising license for the loop.
2) I question your assumption that a non-resident cannot operate a state registered vessel in the USA but have been unable to find any law for or against.
Hopefully others can HELP!!!

Thousands+ of Canadians own USA state registered boats and travel from port to port with no issues.
I have asked customs officers for the last 2 of my 3 cruising licences (for my Canadian registered boat) what the authority was for a 1300 and they refer to 19 CFR Part 4
but it does not say you cannot:
§ 4.94 Yacht privileges and obligations.
(a) Any documented vessel with a pleasure license endorsement, as well as any undocumented American pleasure vessel, shall be used exclusively for pleasure and shall not transport merchandise nor carry passengers for pay. Such a vessel which is not engaged in any trade nor in any way violating the Customs or navigation laws of the U.S. may proceed from port to port in the U.S. or to foreign ports without clearing and is not subject to entry upon its arrival in a port of the U.S., provided it has not visited a hovering vessel, ... foreign port

A state registered vessel would seem to me to be an "undocumented American pleasure vessel" that is exempt from clearance and entry requirements (Form 1300) unless they were coming from a foreign port.
3) There are issues with registering foreign and getting a cruising licence and reporting requirements with the cruising license. ( A separate issue) Florida will not grant the cruising licence unless the boat is coming in from a foreign port. i.e. Bahamas. To the contrary, Baltimore issued one to me when I purchased a documented boat in Annapolis. A friend purchased in Virginia and nothing was required to return to Canada although he had purchased the cruising "Decal" that is commonly used on the Great Lakes instead of a Cruising Licence.
4) I appreciate the desire to do things "by the book" but I don't know if such a thing exists. I suspect that state registration in a low tax state would allow you to travel without a cruising license.
It's a great trip! and worth the effort to sort things out. Paul

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom