Low voltage auto start gen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delirious duo

Veteran Member
Just curious if anyone on TF has the house ran through the bank with low voltage start on the gen set? I have been around the set up in the past but curious how pleasure boats are set up thanks in advance.

We’re strictly manual start and load. Even if it did automatically start, someone would have to manipulate the shore/gen transfer switches.

I don't have it but the Magnsine inverter has an add for auto gen start. I suppose as previous post it is to be used when away from shore power and the transfer switch is turned to GEN after leaving dock to be of any use.

The genset should have its own close located battery. To avoid its only source of charge being its own alternator, it could be fed via a combiner, from the house battery or better still, its own small dedicated solar panel with basic regulator. I would not want an auto start genset.

@Bruce,
The auto start feature is when the house battery gets low to avoid interuption of devices needing power

You can do it and I've spent a career working on designing and selling auto start systems and power transfer equipment for industrial use.

You would have to install a transfer switch. Then you run into the issue of how do you disconnect the starter when the generator starts, so now you need either a smart system controlling the generator or you need to install a generator control panel to use the industry-standard two wire start.

Like I said, I've done this entire adult life and I don't have it on my boat.

there are times I suppose it would come in handy. but for most of us you're either sitting at a dock maybe not on the boat or you're at anchor, and you are on the boat. I just don't see the need

Last edited:
The circuit is simple enough only reason I ask for large freezer it’s handy or when loads kick on. I have had off grid cabin that way when you plug in a skill saw or little inverted welder the gen just starts. But alas it’s just another thing to foul up mid blended drink.

Back
Top Bottom