Lifting generator into boat around Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sna

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 48
Have a 12.5 northern lights generator to be lifting into the lazarette of a 48’ Tollycraft. It doesn’t need to go into the cabin, just drop into the aft deck area. The old generator has already been removed.

So a crane on a dock would be ideal, but haven’t had a lot of luck finding these on google. Fishermen’s Terminal notes they have one but seems to be for commercial fishing vessels.

Anyone know a good place to lift a 700# generator onto a boat around Seattle. In the sound is better than inside the locks.

I'd call Shilshole and see if they would let you use the dry storage crane for the small boats. The other option would be seaview boat yard, I think they have a crane that could handle #700.

Seems if you could get your Tolly next to a pillared wooden walk way [or concrete retaining wall] that's on the edge of large parking area... a construction material "crane" company would show with equipment and operator.

Last edited:
I helped a friend do this (with a 6kw northern lights) at Shilshole. We lifted the generator into the cockpit using a crane at the marina on one of the piers ( north end of marina), then used the davit to get the generator into the laz. On a Tolly 48 you could probably use the Shilshole crane to get it all the way into the lazarette since there’s no fiberglass overhang covering the cockpit.

Fisherman's Terminal on Salmon Bay has a heavy duty boom and hoist on the quay wall next to 20th ave, west. You pay to use it. I don't know it you need to be a tenant. The boom will lift a large marine engine.

Attachments

• Fishermans.JPG
    Fishermans.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 45
If you can find a mast tower that can lift the weight of your genset you could use that. A lot of yacht clubs have mast towers. My club had a manual mast tower and I switched out an old Onan genset with a newer Northern Lights 5kw. It went into the lazerett

In the past folks have rigged a come along to a non maned bridge , towed the dink with the load and simply hauled it up to deposit it on the deck of the vessel.

700 lbs is no big deal.

If there are any in-out marinas in Seattle have them drop it in with the fork lift.

Hiring a crane for half a day is not that expensive. Call a crane company and inquire.

Find a neighboring boat with a dinghy crane/davit of the right capacity (most bigger boats). They might have to lift it onto their own boat from the dock, then reposition the boat and lift into your cockpit.

Lots of options.

I hired a Truck with a HIAB crane when I needed to lift my main engines out the side door and the newer pair back in. Cheap and quick. The extra cost of the travel lift was the expensive part, but if you can get a quay with good road access you can avoid that part.

Pacific Fisherman Shipyard in Ballard uses a larger forklift with an attached boom for this. You don't need to be a commercial boat to utilize their services. Yes, inside the locks :huh:

How about a travel lift with straps removed and a sling used in their place? We often did this, works well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom