Lehman starter help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
Solenoid on the starter fubar. Only available from Europe ????
Sent msg to Brian, anyone know a source. Starter itself is fine, not buying one of those. Any help appreciated!

Greetings,
Mr. S. Try a Ford tractor dealer/repair or any comany who rebuilds starters and alternators should have a source. I'm pretty sure they're not rare.

Are you talking about this solenoid (see picture)? Or do you mean the smaller solenoid that feeds the current to this solenoid?

Attachments

• FL starter sol.JPG
    FL starter sol.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 51
If it’s the solenoid in the picture above, it’s a common part. I had my starter rebuilt a few years ago and the shop in East Hartford, CT had them on the shelf.

So shoot from the hip advice
I can get a whole starter for 125 with solenoid, solenoid so far looks like $55
I'm tempted,.............

So shoot from the hip advice
I can get a whole starter for 125 with solenoid, solenoid so far looks like $55
I'm tempted,.............

If it works maybe post source and part number for others future reference.

Any auto electric shop should have it.

Ken

If it is the solenoid, it's probably pitting on the contacts. The solenoid usually can be disassembled. Either by unscrewing or drilling out the rivets. If riveted, use pop-rivets to reassemble. There are 2 contact studs and a copper disk. The disk rotates slightly each start. Because of high amp flow, the contacts and disk get pits burned in. File the studs until smooth and the disk until mostly smooth or turn it around to the new side.
Use a sharp flat file and file the contacts and disk and the starter is good for years.

Attachments

• starter solenoid.jpg
    starter solenoid.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 53
Here's what transpired
Found a solenoid for $29 , seems it is common to Ford New Holland tractors, and other stuff. On the way.
Question- my original starter had a Ford style solenoid, and with a trigger wire to shoot 12v to the starter. New solenoid mounts on starter has a tab on it does same thing, so prior solenoid is redundant, right?

Maybe, Maybe not.

These starter mounted solenoids often pull a lot of current which will burn an ignition sw.
Often a pilot or auxiliary solenoid, actually relays, are used to protect your starting switch or push button.

Generally when you activate the dash switch it sends power to the pilot relay which activates the starter mounted solenoid which in turn does the final high amp power connection.

Do some checking about where that lead goes. It may go to a pilot relay in which case that is where the lead in question may need to go.

Last edited:
Took apart the bad solenoid. That tab does in fact actuate a large crossbar that completes the 12v juice to starter motor. Exactly the same as a solenoid with a round plate completing the circuit referred to earlier. So leaving the former solenoid in has a solenoid for high amps sending a signal to another high amp solenoid which actuates the windings. Ign switch is protected either way

Simple fix

Solenoid on the starter fubar. Only available from Europe ????
Sent msg to Brian, anyone know a source. Starter itself is fine, not buying one of those. Any help appreciated!

Took a qualified auto starter repair shop 5 mins to replace the solenoid on my Lehman. Charged me $25CDN. All good. Actually took one look at the starter and said “this is not original, look at how the mounting holes have been enlarged”
Should not be a problem for a qualified repair shop

If I could find one. Seems like they are scarce around here. And the one near me tried to rip me off on the starter when I bought it. I say tried, because I balked and stuck it to them, HARD.

Back
Top Bottom