Just for fun, how many spare hose clamps do you have onboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many spare hose clamps do you have onboard?

• More than 500.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 to 499

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 25 to 99

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Less than 25

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • What's a hose clamp?

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I was doing some cleaning/organizing today after finishing a small plumbing project, and realized I may have a problem. I always buy a few more clamps than I think I will need when doing a project and put the extras in my spares box. If I replace a clamp, unless the old one is obviously bad I save it too....you never know when you might need it right?

My spare clamp box is overflowing. Oddly, I am usually a minimalist type and don't do this with anything else. Well, except fishing tackle, but that's different.

Am I alone in this affliction?

I have well over 100, in spares, of differing sizes, but am slowly replacing the old style screw hose clamps with T-bolt hose clamps!

Reactions: TJM
Good one. I too need 1 or 2 and buy 10. Still often do not have the right size, but two one inch ones joined are almost a 2 inch hose clamp.
Yeah, I have done that too. You would think with how many of them I have that Magivering them would never be needed, but somehow...

I carry a box of them separated by size. Also a box of electrical connectors, a box of nuts and bolts, a box of sheet metal screws, a box of shrink tube and a couple of boxes of miscellaneous stuff.

If you buy bags of 25 off of Amazon they are very inexpensive. 25 of each 3/4, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 4, and 6 adds up very quickly.

One full engine's worth, plus a number of extras. Seaboard Marine sells full sets so I bought one. I just replaced all hoses last winter and used the set, so I bought a replacement already. It's good to know that in an urgent situation I know for sure the right one is in that bag.

In a pinch, the majority of hoses should have 2 clamps on them anyway, if you need a spare, pull one off the double clamped hose to get you to the next spot where you can acquire more clamps.

I likely have 50, including 6" 8" and 12" T bolts for the exhaust tubing's connections.
I have no box of spares.
All spare clamps are mounted snugly on the hose that they are intended to clamp. It's not uncommon to find 3 or 4 clamps on the most accessible end of any particular size of hose.

When I was cruising, every winter I would inventory my tools and spares. My guess is around 100 clamps with 4 of each size. I bought them in boxes of 10, and kept the rest at home. Generally a box of ten was equivalent to buying 3 or 4 at the regular price.

Every 3 years I would replace all the batteries in things like multi meters and infrared temperature gun. Hate grabbing a tool with an odd ball dead battery.

Ted

Actually I have 10 boxes of small parts, hose clamps, shrink tube, cushion clamps, large electrical connectors (2), electrical connectors, nuts and bolts, sheet metal screws and snaps (2).

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 10
My hose clamp collection is truly out of control. They’re in gallon zip lock bags that are bulging and threatening to burst. I can’t put a finger on how this happened…

slowly replacing the old style screw hose clamps with T-bolt hose clamps!
Be careful where you use those. They're great as exhaust clamps and for some other things, but they're typically wider than a standard hose clamp, so you may only be able to fit 1 on a fitting that could fit 2 regular clamps. And in some cases the bolt on the t-bolt clamp gets into something or is very easy to hurt yourself with.

A few things on my boat had t-bolt clamps when I got it where it had these issues, so I've switched some of those things back to good quality regular clamps.

Back
Top Bottom