Just bought a Grand Banks 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you saying that as far as a GB36 or all GBs in general. Because I can show you a 1974 GB42 for sale right now that is wood. 1973 was the year they began converting over to FG, but there were plenty of wood boats that were still in production that were not finished till 74.

EDIT: I did t mean for this to be hate in any way, I apologize if taken that way, my fault

Lots of times boats that are hung up in construction, or heavily customized will "miss" the projected "year" of construction by 1 or two years. It's possible that the boat you're talking about is one of those boats. The info I listed above is specific to GB 36's, and I expect it to be similar for other models as well.:dance:

Grand Banks vs. Ranger Tug

You said you actually got both of these boats. We are about to see one of each tomorrow on the west coast of Florida. A 42 GB and a Ranger Tugs 29CB LE. We know their “missions” are entirely different, but can you give any advice? Deb and Joe

Deb and Joe:

I first bought a brand new Ranger 27 OB and I loved it, just such a versatile boat. I thought I would rarely use the speed but it came in handy quite often, and a 40 minute burst of 36 knots helped me beat some bad weather several times.

It was a bit tight for even 2 people, the narrow beam being the only issue, but of course it's necessary for trailering. Otherwise, there was lots of storage, more than I can find on this GB 36 and more convenient.

I really liked the Ranger 29, which might be just perfect size wise for 2 people, but it was out of my price range.

In the end I sold the Ranger after 1 season and got every penny back that I had put into it. Including taxes! I sold because I had decided to go on a year long trip to Europe and Asia, and I just could not justify keeping such an expensive boat sitting for that long.

I also realized I enjoyed going on cruises when my friends went, but going on my own wasn't that much fun.

So after I sold the Ranger and while I was overseas my friend asked if I wanted to share ownership of a GB 36, and I said sure. I paid my share without ever seeing the boat.

Of course part of the reason I could do that is the cost of 1/3 of a 1974 GB36 was 10% of the cost of the Ranger.

Now the things that had kept me from buying an older more 'salty' trawler like the GB are real: maintenance and repairs are a big factor, and I am not mechanically inclined although I don't mind basic maintenance.

But we are already finding out that understanding how the boat works and where to get parts is going to be a long process. I can see a whole lot of things that look like they could go wrong.

The teak decks need work, and we still have original fuel tanks. Those could turn out to be very expensive issues.

The Ranger was dead simple to operate and understand (especially due to the OB, which the 29 does not have).

So the choice becomes something like: do you want a bright shiny new Audi? Or a classic Jaguar?

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The best part about the GB is the extra space, and I feel I can stretch out which was not easy on the 27 Ranger.

The GB is a little safer too, being able to walk all around it with a proper walkway and railings.

But I imagine we will be getting towed home a few times over the season, and that was never an issue with the Ranger.

We won't be able to outrun bad weather, but the GB should handle rough seas a little better, although the Ranger was pretty good at that too.

If the price of each boat was the same, I'd probably go for the Ranger. I like new things that work. If there's a huge price difference, the GB might be the better choice, even if older. As long as you don't mind there being downtime as it gets repaired.

My GB36 is a 1973 and is glass. My research told me that it was the first year they were glass. However I have seen some evidence that not all of the 1973 model year were glass. However the "evidence" probably wouldn't be admissible in court LOL Edit: Just read some more of the posts. It looks like the transition to glass was not all in one model year.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for a trawler I had a broker friend advising me as I spent my life in sailboats. He said said I should concentrate on GB. He said "you can fix the problems, you can't change the name."

My GB36 is a 1973 and is glass. My research told me that it was the first year they were glass. However I have seen some evidence that not all of the 1973 model year were glass. However the "evidence" probably wouldn't be admissible in court LOL Edit: Just read some more of the posts. It looks like the transition to glass was not all in one model year.

I’ll bet that back in 73 there were many people that wouldn’t even consider a plastic Grand Banks and demanded theirs be wood. I can hear the conversation……..Mr Jones we would like to build that new Grand Banks that you ordered out of this stuff called fiberglass instead of mahogany. It’s better……. Really :eek:

In addition to which I don't think that even they knew how strong it might be. The hull on mine is 3/4"+ thick. I have seen later model boats with far thinner hulls.

When I was shopping for a trawler I had a broker friend advising me as I spent my life in sailboats. He said said I should concentrate on GB. He said "you can fix the problems, you can't change the name."

I have always firmly believed that spending the extra $$ on a boat with a good name / reputation will always get you your money back. Less the maintenance and upkeep of course. I’ve owned Cape Dory’s, Nonsuch, Fortier’s, and now a GB. Always have been able to sell them easily getting most if not all of my money back. (I made money on my Alcort Sail Fish :socool:)

Watch those heavy hatches in the salon. They can do damage to fingers . Just one finger in my case.

Macgregor, Slickcraft, Searay, Cal, GB 36, GB46. The only one I lost money on was the Searay. Made money on all the others.

Greetings:
I have owned my GB 36 for 8 years, totally love it.
Keep the engines at 1500 RPM, (yours is a twin ?) and you can expect a fuel burn of 2.2 GPH.

Greetings:
I have owned my GB 36 for 8 years, totally love it.
Keep the engines at 1500 RPM, (yours is a twin ?) and you can expect a fuel burn of 2.2 GPH.
Kev, I am curious if that 2.2 GPH is both or each engine? Thanks

That's 2.2 GPH, running on both engines. 1.1 GPH per engine. Clean bottom though!
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom